ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse was up 20 and stopped playing. When they tried getting it going again they were not able to. Still all they had to do was make FTs to close it out and they didn't. Has nothing to do with the 14 people VT had behind each basket in Blacksburg.

Should be a tossup Wednesday night with GT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There isn't such a thing as an easy game in conference play - that's just fan speak.
Syracuse is very beatable - they have had FT issues before this year as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There isn't such a thing as an easy game in conference play - that's just fan speak.
Syracuse is very beatable - they have had FT issues before this year as well.

Agree Syracuse is beatable, wouldn't surprise me if GT ends up being favored, but it has nothing to do with Syracuse's FT shooting ability. As you point out they haven't been good historically so it shouldn't be the difference-maker this year.

That said Cooney, an 89% FT shooter, going 2 for 5 today is likely an aberration. As is a 68% FT shooting team shooting 40% down the stretch.

Syracuse isn't good because they lost the core of their team. Stating that isn't a surprise to anyone who reads this board. The 4* PG and 5* PF freshmen that are attempting to fill the void were apparently rated that highly due to potential way moreso than readiness to contribute. I'll add more to the Syracuse game thread once that's started.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Roundup of the first real day of ACC play:

GT 76 - 83 ND (2OT)
Pitt 50 - 68 NCSU
Cuse
68 - 66 VT
BC 62 - 85 Duke
UVA 89
- 80 Miami (2OT)
UNC 74 - 50 Clem

ACC STANDINGS
2-0 ND
2-0 NCSU
1-0 Duke
1-0 UVA
1-0 UNC
1-0 Cuse
0-0 Louisville
0-1 Miami
0-1 Pitt
0-1 GT
0-1 Clemson
0-1 BC
0-1 FSU
0-1 VT
0-1 Wake

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ACC season doesn't look a lot different than projected right now. Some teams playing with more intensity because these games count for more. It's the ACC!

I was impressed with our play yesterday. Watching the ND guards and wings made me really miss the teams we had with strength at those positions. Even with their superior talent, ND cannot defend us man-to-man consistently. But, we still look confused facing a 2-3 zone. But, our rebounding was unconscious, especially on the offensive boards.

Note to BG: Please design, and practice, a play to get an open 10-12 foot look for end game situations. Please. Other teams are playing for MGH to get the ball late. He had no chance yesterday trying to score with freelance moves. As weird as it seems, we probably should have won that game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There is no way we will be favored against Cuse.

Bolden seperated himself from Tadric yesterday i thought. He was at least scoring. When Sampson played midrange and in he was effective and then in the 2nd half he was stepping out again. Someone tell this kid hes not a 3pt shooter. Jorgy had a couple less than stellar plays but overall handled the matchup with Jackson well.

We need to play like this against the lesser teams in the ACC.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Anyone watch UVA at Miami? Brogdon fouls out in Reg and they still win in 2OT. Perrantes showingg the range and Mike Tobey and Justin Anderson can both play

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone watch UVA at Miami? Brogdon fouls out in Reg and they still win in 2OT. Perrantes showingg the range and Mike Tobey and Justin Anderson can both play
UVA is really good to watch. Fundamentals are off the charts and no egos on that team, just confidence & execution. Despite kinda shooting themselves in the foot, they remained poised and executed, getting multiple contributions down the stretch.

That is where I think we're striving to go.

Meanwhile, BG has dropped down a bit in the Coaching Changes Top 10. Was #4 after the USC-U game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll take 9th in the Power Poll. Lunardi just posted a breakdown of multi-bid leagues. Reaffirms what we've been saying about how wide open the ACC currently is after the Top 5.

http://beta.espn.go.com/mens-colleg...ight-ncaa-tournament-teams-college-basketball

Excerpt below:

ACC
Bids today: 6 of 15 (40.0 percent)
2014 bids: 6 of 15 (40.0 percent)
Five-year history: 25 of 63 (39.7 percent)
Despite all the big-name additions in recent years, the ACC is learning the inevitable lesson that "less is more" with respect to NCAA bids. Exceeding a 50 percent NCAA tourney participation rate will be rare with a conference this large.
2015 over/under: 6.5 bids
Joe's forecast: UNDER (Duke, Louisville, Virginia, North Carolina and Notre Dame; two of five from Syracuse, NC State, Miami, Georgia Tech and Pitt)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'll take 9th in the Power Poll. Lunardi just posted a breakdown of multi-bid leagues. Reaffirms what we've been saying about how wide open the ACC currently is after the Top 5.

http://beta.espn.go.com/mens-colleg...ight-ncaa-tournament-teams-college-basketball

Excerpt below:

ACC
Despite all the big-name additions in recent years, the ACC is learning the inevitable lesson that "less is more" with respect to NCAA bids. Exceeding a 50 percent NCAA tourney participation rate will be rare with a conference this large.
Joe's forecast: UNDER (Duke, Louisville, Virginia, North Carolina and Notre Dame; two of five from Syracuse, NC State, Miami, Georgia Tech and Pitt)
Thanks for posting that. Here is my way too early look at the ACC:

The top five will have a real dogfight among themselves for seeding. Those games will all be fun to watch.

The next five teams fighting for one or two places will also be brutal.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Excerpt below:

ACC

Sounds like some of the "experts" have a better appreciation for our team than many of our own fans..LOL

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sounds like some of the "experts" have a better appreciation for our team than many of our own fans..LOL
At times we look like a team about to break out and play at the next level. Then we lay an egg. It's very puzzling. We need to hold service at home tomorrow night. The home games against what I call the middle five in the ACC are vital this season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jerry Palm actually has us among the last 4 in, but haven't tried to figure out why. If I had to guess, it'd be RPI & having to toss in 1 last ACC team.