ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched the NC State-Duke game yesterday. The Pack is definitely back. And my wallet is lighter because of that game.

I also caught part of the UVA-ND game Saturday. Has anyone seen a more fundamentally sound basketball team? ND could not get a decent look inside (their strength) and resorted to shooting threes. Whodda thunk it?

The top of the ACC is scary tough right now. UVA, Duke, Louisville, ND, and NC State could, the way they are playing right now, all be in the final eight. UNC is playing NCSU Wednesday night in Raleigh. That game is always emotional and physical, but it could be a war this time. I would not miss it.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Really big loss. Despite McCullough not bringing much to the table yet at least you couldn't take away his height/length. With McCullough and Coleman out for the year the Orange have only 2 players taller than 6'8" that play meaningful minutes (Christmas/Roberson). At least it provides a convenient excuse for a season that was already mostly lost.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Anybody else enjoying Duke getting mollywhopped at home on a night where they were drooling all over Coach K with all these Duke vignettes. Apparently duke was set to break some record or w/e. Miami absolutely blew them out at home.

As an aside, not looking forward to us playing UM.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody else enjoying Duke getting mollywhopped at home on a night where they were drooling all over Coach K with all these Duke vignettes. Apparently duke was set to break some record or w/e. Miami absolutely blew them out at home.

As an aside, not looking forward to us playing UM.
No. Didn't enjoy that at all. Not one bit.

By the way, if you believe that, I've got this amazing bridge I'd like to sell you.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone catch Cuse and Wake? Great OT game

Caught the whole thing of course. 'Cuse played its best game of the year (as did maybe Wake) and narrowly escaped. Probably not sustainable as 4 guys played 42+ minutes, 2 were carrying 4 fouls for the last 10 min, and the "big 3" scored 73 of the team's 86 points.

If there's one thing 'Cuse gets credit for is they know their identity. Boeheim doesn't just extend the bench because one guy goes down. He's identified his core team, doesn't allow players to be all things to everyone offensively, and that's what has allowed Syracuse to go 4-0 (albeit against the bottom of the ACC).

'Cuse may start 6-0 given that their first 6 games are against the bottom of the ACC. Still would be an accomplishment given how fickle the team is this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse down this year and I just watched parts of the dullest game in history with Clemson coming back to beat Wake. I can't help but think, with a few wins in recruiting we could have been a top 5-7 team in the ACC this year. Say BBC stays and we landed Morris and Quarterman and bang, we are there.

I of course have no idea If we had a shot at either and seeing what kind of players they are now makes hindsight 20/20. Still....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Syracuse down this year and I just watched parts of the dullest game in history with Clemson coming back to beat Wake. I can't help but think, with a few wins in recruiting we could have been a top 5-7 team in the ACC this year. Say BBC stays and we landed Morris and Quarterman and bang, we are there.

I of course have no idea If we had a shot at either and seeing what kind of players they are now makes hindsight 20/20. Still....

Losing Carter hurt this year's team alot.
Had legit shots at both Morris and Quarterman, though both were done once we took Solo. Quarterman played with Solo and didn't like him. Solo basically took the PG spot Morris would have had. (he still may have chosen iowa St, but it would have been a 2 team battle - I really wanted him - felt he would have fit Gregory's PG ideals to a T). Just a huge miscalculation by Gregory and his staff.

Solo was the bust that will cost Gregory his job. He simply had no idea of how to play in a structured environment and he is not a PG. He is FL Atlantic's leading scorer since becoming eligible - but they are 4-5 in games he has played in including 1-4 in conference. He still has no clue how to value the basketball. He has 38 TO in 9 games, 1 every 7 min (which is an improvement over his GT numbers). He has more TO in 9 games than anyone else does in 18 games and he doesn't even play PG for them. He will shoot though, he avg a shot every 2 minutes. He is one of those players that will make amazing plays, but do none of the little things and silently costs you games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Losing Carter hurt this year's team alot.
Had legit shots at both Morris and Quarterman, though both were done once we took Solo. Quarterman played with Solo and didn't like him. Solo basically took the PG spot Morris would have had. (he still may have chosen iowa St, but it would have been a 2 team battle - I really wanted him - felt he would have fit Gregory's PG ideals to a T). Just a huge miscalculation by Gregory and his staff.

Solo was the bust that will cost Gregory his job. He simply had no idea of how to play in a structured environment and he is not a PG. He is FL Atlantic's leading scorer since becoming eligible - but they are 4-5 in games he has played in including 1-4 in conference. He still has no clue how to value the basketball. He has 38 TO in 9 games, 1 every 7 min (which is an improvement over his GT numbers). He has more TO in 9 games than anyone else does in 18 games and he doesn't even play PG for them. He will shoot though, he avg a shot every 2 minutes. He is one of those players that will make amazing plays, but do none of the little things and silently costs you games.
From the moment I saw Solo I gasped. He was only 18 (maybe still 17) but I expected him to have a more disciplined game given all the hype. Remember, we signed Stacey thinking that would help with Solo. Neither of them worked out very well for us. And Solo may have been the worst defensive guard I have ever seen. And I played with a very bad one in college.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Congrats to Coach K for a new "level" being reached. 1,000 wins.
As much as we may "dis-like" him, admit it - we'd loved to have his record at GT as coach. Loved the CBC years and the 2004 run, but Duke has a record under him that makes me jealous.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Congrats to Coach K for a new "level" being reached. 1,000 wins.
As much as we may "dis-like" him, admit it - we'd loved to have his record at GT as coach. Loved the CBC years and the 2004 run, but Duke has a record under him that makes me jealous.

1K for Coach K, not bad for a man that almost lost his job at Duke in his early years. Another thing I respect about Coach K is the game hasn't passed him by like most his age.