ACC Discussion

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Saw on another board .... how fun would it be if State hired Dan Majerle away from Grand Canyon? I doubt Thunder Dan will leave the valley of the sun, but it would be good theatre and I think he would put an entertaining product on the court
I've been hearing up here in Michigan that Central Michigan wants to get Dan back in Mt Pleasent as there next HC. He played his college ball there and the program needs some type of spark to get more attention besides Marcus Keene who's averaging 30 some ppg.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@orientalnc interesting info....

Crean to State would surprise me, but not complete shock. He succeeded at Marquette which has some parallels to State (decent program with occasional flashes of greatness in a really good conference - old Big East - and a fan base that is crazy about hoops) but he has struggled mightily at a top tier program where expectations are top 25 every year and final four every decade. Moving back to State makes sense from that POV, but I still think he would implode when faced with being the kid brother to Roy & K in the Triangle and pretty low on the coaching totem pole in the conference. think he does better when he's the big fish in small pond. Seems to have a pretty fragile ego, at least publicly

Bennett leaving UVA would be a huge loss to the school and the conference. He's young and establishing a helluva program in C'Ville. As the older coaches retire in the next ten years (K, Boeheim, Pitino, Roy, Hamilton, Larranaga), the conference needs a new group of coaches to take over and keep things at the current level. CJP is certainly positioned to be in that group. So are Buzz and Manning. Bennett could be the premier coach in the conference as the older guys step down. I would hate to see him go, but understand if family is a draw back to the Midwest

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NC State has a lot of little brother syndrome going on. Got rid of Herb Sendek and now Gottfried because they're comparing themselves to Duke and UNC, not the rest of the ACC and college basketball. Now you got rid of a coach during the season after making the Dance 4 out of 5 years, with 2 Sweet 16's? Good luck even getting an equal replacement. No coach wants a job where the fan base doesn't think you're good enough from Day 1.

One thing we can pat ourselves on the back for during the coaching search, yes, we wished upon a star for the Chris Macks and Archie Millers of the bball world, but we knew our real world wheelhouse was the Bryce Drews and Jeff Capels.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Seeing Eddie Fogler proving you don't have to be effective to be successful, the BC AD apparently is stepping down to become VP of a search firm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boston...wn-to-become-vp-of-search-firm-161733877.html

I guess his stellar record of hiring successful coaches at BC paved the way for this career path?

If I'm Jim Christion(sp?), I rent not buy.
When they get to 2 candidates they hire him. He tells the school which one he likes better and then they go with the other guy

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll get killed for saying this but UVA's overrated. Yeah, they have a great system and all that but their overall talent level isn't that high.

There, I said it. Come at me bros.