ACC Discussion

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If you go the top right where it says YIJacket, Inbox, Alerts. If you scroll overtop of YIJacket there’ll be a drop down list with one of the options being Avatar. You can upload the file there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCST will be interesting to watch how it affects the roster after the season.
Smith is heading to the NBA.
Most believe Yurtseven will declare pro and then go back to Europe.
Abu is a JR that came back for this season, will he stay his SR year.
Henderson is a SR.
Anya is a SR.

They have only 1 recruit -Haywood's teammate Allen lined up for next year.

Now say someone like Crean jumps to get out of IND - that could work out well for them. But if not, could it go the other way.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now say someone like Crean jumps to get out of IND - that could work out well for them. But if not, could it go the other way.
You could be right that Crean may want out of the high expectations at Indiana, but NC State would be a step down for him. To start, his current salary is north of $3 million and he has won the B1G title twice in the past 6 years. Granted, this year things have not gone well, especially lately. But, He is Guaranteed at least $5 million for the next two years from Indiana. If he walks this Spring, he will likely do no better at NC State and have to begin a rebuilding program almost from scratch. And, Indiana has no financial incentive to push him out after this season. His buyout clause is currently $4 million and becomes $1 million on July 1. I think he will be Indiana's coach next year unless he thinks next year will be his last in Bloomington. He and his agent have to judge the risks of staying versus the risk of leaving.

BTW, NC State owes Gottfried for the next three seasons on his current contract unless he gets another coaching job.

Deleted member 2897

You could be right that Crean may want out of the high expectations at Indiana, but NC State would be a step down for him. To start, his current salary is north of $3 million and he has won the B1G title twice in the past 6 years. Granted, this year things have not gone well, especially lately. But, He is Guaranteed at least $5 million for the next two years from Indiana. If he walks this Spring, he will likely do no better at NC State and have to begin a rebuilding program almost from scratch. And, Indiana has no financial incentive to push him out after this season. His buyout clause is currently $4 million and becomes $1 million on July 1. I think he will be Indiana's coach next year unless he thinks next year will be his last in Bloomington. He and his agent have to judge the risks of staying versus the risk of leaving.

BTW, NC State owes Gottfried for the next three seasons on his current contract unless he gets another coaching job.

So NC State is getting Georgia Tech'd. They are on the hook through 2020, at a rate that is in the low $2M range per year. So call it $6.5M for round numbers. That's a hefty payout. AND, all their talent is leaving, so the next coach will come in with a bare cupboard. Not a uGA fake news bare cupboard, but a real one.

AND AND, unlike Georgia Tech which is not around the corner from another ACC school and is in the Atlanta basketball hotbed, NC State sits down the road from both Duke and North Carolina.

They are going to really have to take a chance on someone I think in order to fill that job. Because there is a high likelihood that even if they do well NC State will be fighting Boston College for last place for a long time. Even an up and comer from a mid-major like Winthrop's Pat Kelsey or Chattanooga's Matt McCall will be hard pressed to stake their P5 chance on a hand like that. You're at a large table with 15 poker players, the flop is A, Q, 10 and you have a 3 of clubs and a 6 of diamonds in your hand. Who wants to make a bet on that?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty scathing article from Gary Parrish on NC ST.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ations-for-nc-state-i-wouldnt-touch-that-job/

here’s what one second-tier candidate told me Thursday: “I wouldn’t touch that job. If making four NCAA Tournaments [in six years] gets you fired midseason [in your sixth year], it’s not a good job to take if you already have a good job.”

That seems to be the consensus in the industry. If you have a good job, don’t mess with the NC State job. That’s probably why NC State, last time around, ended up hiring a television analyst who’d been fired from Alabama two years earlier.

Mark Gottfried and Jim Larranaga got hired 17 days apart at NC State and Miami back in 2011. When this season is over, Gottfried will have made four NCAA Tournaments and two Sweet 16s. And he got fired two days after Valentine’s Day. Meantime, even if Larranaga makes the NCAA Tournamentthis season, his first six years at Miami will amount to three NCAA Tournament appearances and, more than likely, two Sweet 16s. And Larranaga has a contract through 2022 that nobody has even thought of buying out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you go the top right where it says YIJacket, Inbox, Alerts. If you scroll overtop of YIJacket there’ll be a drop down list with one of the options being Avatar. You can upload the file there.
raw

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pretty scathing article from Gary Parrish on NC ST.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ations-for-nc-state-i-wouldnt-touch-that-job/

here’s what one second-tier candidate told me Thursday: “I wouldn’t touch that job. If making four NCAA Tournaments [in six years] gets you fired midseason [in your sixth year], it’s not a good job to take if you already have a good job.”

That seems to be the consensus in the industry. If you have a good job, don’t mess with the NC State job. That’s probably why NC State, last time around, ended up hiring a television analyst who’d been fired from Alabama two years earlier.

Mark Gottfried and Jim Larranaga got hired 17 days apart at NC State and Miami back in 2011. When this season is over, Gottfried will have made four NCAA Tournaments and two Sweet 16s. And he got fired two days after Valentine’s Day. Meantime, even if Larranaga makes the NCAA Tournamentthis season, his first six years at Miami will amount to three NCAA Tournament appearances and, more than likely, two Sweet 16s. And Larranaga has a contract through 2022 that nobody has even thought of buying out.

Yeah Norlander called it on wednesdays podcast. Said he heard that if they got pummeled against UNC he was gone. I thought "no way no one does that anymore unless there is a scandal"

They are bending to the fan base and they probably just killed their search before it even started. If you're Keats I think you can a offer that's just as good at a school that as a whole isn't a lunatic (UGA, Clemson maybe if BB goes and wade passes)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think what NCST did does not make it easier to get a good coach. Now they could luck into someone who wants a chance, but in general the actions the AD took are not going to play well in the coaching community and Yow already has a checkered past with coaches and she is supposed to retire in less than 2 yrs.

It feels like the AD was swayed too much by the lunatic fringe. Their is a right way and a wrong way, and what NCST did was not the right way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Totally agree. I recall a lot of folks getting heartburn about us jettisoning BG after a "successful" 20-win season with a postseason berth. As if it wasn't 'fair'. For us, we had years of ineptitude to support the move. Truthfully, Gotfired has a decent resume there. It appears, as RR stated, their rabbit-eared AD succumbed to fan pressure which should terrify any decent coach.

Considering (a) Yow has a bad rep in coaching circles as it is, (b) how they handled Gotfired, (c) it's NCSt which is perpetually 3rd in their own state at best and (d) the new hire will certainly have a new boss within a year or 2 .. they're gonna have a hard time pulling an experienced coach. With Keatts' history at Lville being a legit question, I expect McCall or some other up-and-comer to get overpaid to make the jump.

I bet Keatts ends up SEC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For fun here is ACC Sports Journal's look at potential candidates

https://accsports.com/acc-news/bask...nc-state/?mc_cid=94a2ed154c&mc_eid=059f415e4d

Doesn't think Miller or Mick Cronin are interested so skips straight to Keats and Chris Holtman at Butler who both have NC ties. But then heads to Fred Hoiberg who likely wants out of Chicago and the NBA followed by Dan Muller who is likely going to the dance but doesn't scream ACC coach. And then you have to have a TV analyst to replace the ex-TV analyst they just fired so Vinnie Del Negro becomes the "break glass in an emergency" candidate.

Not an incredibly deep or impressive list for the start of a coaching search. Likely goes down hill from here. If I am Yow I back the brinks truck up to Keats, overpay and get it over with as soon as he can talk. Just hope Murphy is willing to write the check for all this.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hoiberg will have the same issue as Donovan will have with IU that fans don't understand. Timing doesn't work.
Chicago is likely to make the playoffs meaning coach wouldn't be available until the end of April at the earliest. That doesn't work for a college hire.