ACC Discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For fun here is ACC Sports Journal's look at potential candidates

https://accsports.com/acc-news/bask...nc-state/?mc_cid=94a2ed154c&mc_eid=059f415e4d

Doesn't think Miller or Mick Cronin are interested so skips straight to Keats and Chris Holtman at Butler who both have NC ties. But then heads to Fred Hoiberg who likely wants out of Chicago and the NBA followed by Dan Muller who is likely going to the dance but doesn't scream ACC coach. And then you have to have a TV analyst to replace the ex-TV analyst they just fired so Vinnie Del Negro becomes the "break glass in an emergency" candidate.

Not an incredibly deep or impressive list for the start of a coaching search. Likely goes down hill from here. If I am Yow I back the brinks truck up to Keats, overpay and get it over with as soon as he can talk. Just hope Murphy is willing to write the check for all this.

Del Negro is an interesting name. No idea why he hasn't gotten a quick call to coach in the NBA. He was fired in favor of guys who really never exceeded what he accomplished in CHI or LAC. Rivers has arguably done a worse job than him.

Also that's a sweet avatar, bro. ;)

Aye RR, CHI might be blowin' it up. I've been reading a number of their guys are on the trade block. Just rumors of course. Also, if I'm Hoiberg, I make them fire me rather than quitting for a college job and leaving a boatload of money on the table. Remember he was given a 5yr deal. Reinsdorf is notoriously opposed to paying guys not to coach so the job is likely Hoiberg's until his contract is up. Him jumping to the college ranks bails them out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Mick Cronin. Hahahahahaha. He's probably even more unlikely and Archie Miller. Mick Cronin is that a top 15 top 20 program and they just threw a bundle of money at them last year. He's not going to NC State.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Donovan & Hoiberg both make a ton of money in the NBA and both have a while to go on guaranteed contracts. And, I agree with Red regarding the timing.

Maybe Indiana will fire Crean and eat the $4 million buyout, but they may want to have a good idea who will follow him. If you cannot be considered successful with two B1G championships in the last four years, what does it take?

Deleted member 2897

I don't see how they even get a Matt McCall or Pat Kelsey. The cupboard for talent will be empty next year. They are surrounded by better recruiters. Teams that have been at the bottom lately like Georgia Tech are on the upswing too. If you're one of those guys, do you take a job at a place where you could probably take 4+ years to get to a winning record? Would you really rather start there and stake your career in a place that could be one of the most least desirable options? And to boot, NC State will have a $6.5M buyout. Can they really afford another $2M+ coach given that?

My guess is they will need to find an assistant coach somewhere who is unproven as a head coach and is therefore willing to take the chance. If they make it 3 years and get fired ultimately, they'd have $6M to show for it and can go find something else as an assistant coach again. Probably not what NC State wants, but to me they're going to have to shell out a ton of money to get a good and proven coach and they're going to have to agree its a rebuilding phase that could take a few years. I doubt they'll be willing to agree to that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Donovan & Hoiberg both make a ton of money in the NBA and both have a while to go on guaranteed contracts. And, I agree with Red regarding the timing.

Maybe Indiana will fire Crean and eat the $4 million buyout, but they may want to have a good idea who will follow him. If you cannot be considered successful with two B1G championships in the last four years, what does it take?

If Crean does want out - or at least accepts getting out - I wonder if Yow can do the same thing GT did with Pastner and essentially take on his contract and get Indiana to pay some of it but less than the whole buyout. I've always wondered if our Pastner deal was going to be a one off or the start of something more common

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
There are a lot of D2 coaches that could be successful in a major program if they had a chance. I think of schools like West Liberty or Bellarmine that make the D2 Elite Eight almost every year. West Liberty, for example, runs a fast paced offense that scores 100pts a game -- they specifically recruit to their system and are a lot of fun to watch. I feel like a coach like that could have relative success in a school where they might be out-recruited by neighboring schools, similar to CPJ for us in football. For financial reasons, I was actually hoping we'd go that direction after CBG, but I've obviously been happy with CJP.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Also that's a sweet avatar, bro. ;)

You do realize you suck long parts of a male donkey's anatomy

Ha! But you 'heart' UGA so ... there's that.

@ZacketJacket that's an interesting concept. It doesn't seem to work the same in basketball as it does in football tho, for whatever reason. I think Princeton falls in the category of what you're talking about. They took "lesser" talent in a solid system and had a measure of success against the big boys. However, talent won out and they always ended up fizzling out.

I think it has to do with the fact that any 1 player can significantly impact winning in basketball whereas individual impact is lessened in football. As a result, solid system teams will always falter as the talent gap grows between them and their opponent.

To win the NCAA's, a team has to basically win 6IAR. It's a tall order to ask a band of lesser talents to win 6 times, in a row, against supposed better talents who are also getting coached up too.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Can you go make a post in the football forum now? Very nonchalantly too. Just like a "I think Mills is gonna have a great year next year".
stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif.jpg

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Saw on another board .... how fun would it be if State hired Dan Majerle away from Grand Canyon? I doubt Thunder Dan will leave the valley of the sun, but it would be good theatre and I think he would put an entertaining product on the court

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A friend here in Oriental is a retired professor at Wisconsin - Stevens Point, in the home town of Tony Bennett. His son played on the high school team with Bennett and, later, with Bennett on the UWGB team where Bennett became the all-time best 3-point percent shooter in the NCAA (he is still the leader). My friend & I were talking yesterday about the coaching situation at NC State. His prediction: Tom Crean will take the job in Raleigh to escape the pressure cooker in Bloomington and Bennett takes his place at Indiana to be closer to family.