ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@CuseJacket you ok there bud?
That kind of hurt but I'm over it after thinking we lost 2 or 3 different times. After that start the Orange deserved it. If you told me White and Gillon would shoot a combined 10 for 35, with Battle still going thru the flu, I'd say there's no way we'd win it, so I guess it could've been worse.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good game at the Carrier Dome. L'ville's poor FT shooting really helped Syracuse stay in it.
Syracuse likely needs to win 3 of their final 4 to feel comfortable about a bid - 2 against GT, home against Duke and at L'ville.

Also, Channel 11 in Raleigh reported tonight that sources told them Gottfried would be let go at the end of the season and NCST has reached out to Archie Miller.
Not surprisingly NC ST did not care for this and responded
"Mark Gottfried remains our head coach and we are focused on our next opponent. To suggest we have reached out to any other coach is both incorrect and blatantly irresposible".

Note that the response says nothing about whether he will be the coach after the season, just that he is the HC now.

If he is released it is going to be Miller or bust for them.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Good game at the Carrier Dome. L'ville's poor FT shooting really helped Syracuse stay in it.
Syracuse likely needs to win 3 of their final 4 to feel comfortable about a bid - 2 against GT, home against Duke and at L'ville.

Also, Channel 11 in Raleigh reported tonight that sources told them Gottfried would be let go at the end of the season and NCST has reached out to Archie Miller.
Not surprisingly NC ST did not care for this and responded
"Mark Gottfried remains our head coach and we are focused on our next opponent. To suggest we have reached out to any other coach is both incorrect and blatantly irresposible".

Note that the response says nothing about whether he will be the coach after the season, just that he is the HC now.

If he is released it is going to be Miller or bust for them.
Probably bust. Report I heard is that last two coaching searches they were turned down by their top 10 choices. Candidates either don't want to deal with UNC and Duke in their backyard, see how crazy and impatient their fans are or are already making big money in an easier situation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good game tonight between L'ville and Syracuse. L'ville jumped out early with hot 3-pt shooting but Syracusehas clawed back in with an 8-0 run before halftime.

In other news, Chris Clarke at VT tore his ACL last night and is done for the season. That's a significant hit for VT. Good for them getting that win last night as their finishing schedule is quite tough.
Cuse had a nice chance in OT to tie, but could not convert. They will be a tough out for us in both games.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Saw the report on Gottfried. He certainly isn't winning any friends this year on the bench or in the stands. Firing him is a $7.5 M hit plus the new salary

I doubt Yow reached out to Miller. However I could see someone like Wendell Murphy or surrogate doing it.

They have been as bad versus expectations as we have been good. Too much talent for this nonsense. I still don't think he gets canned this year but where there is smoke ......

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The State fans around me are very unhappy right now with how the team is playing, but still remember the Duke game. The jury is not composed of these fans, but the ones who can get Yow on the phone simply by dialing her number.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Really sucks for VPI. Clarke is a stud and the glue of that team. They're going to struggle to go far without him. Hate to see kids with ACL and / or MCL tears. Even with advances in treatment, those can be career changing

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Really sucks for VPI. Clarke is a stud and the glue of that team. They're going to struggle to go far without him. Hate to see kids with ACL and / or MCL tears. Even with advances in treatment, those can be career changing

Yeah Clarke is an NBA player. Hopefully he recovers. Has a bright future in the game

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just listened to the Gary Parrish podcast and he addresses the Gottfried situation a bit. Also compares Crean to CJP in regards to TC parachuting out of a hostile situation to a soft landing before he gets the ax. Also mentions there is no possibility Archie ends up in Raleigh.

I would imagine if you're Illinois or Missouri you have to make that phone call to Crean. But that's just me. I knows it not ACC talk but it's a slow news day.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If NCST does not land Archie their fanbase is not going to be happy.
He is their golden child. Former alum who will come back to restore the program to glory. If the job does open and he does turn it down it will set off some buttons.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some of them seem to think Archie is waiting to see if OhioSt comes open.

That'd be fitting for that self-loathing fanbase. Reading their board, I almost feel sorry for them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Archie is in a position where he can pick which job he wants to go to next, so he can make sure it is one he feels he will succeed at.