ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If we add MJW we could be a really good team next year with what we have returning. Not to say that this year is over, because it certainly is not.
This discussion made me ask myself which I would rather have, if only one, between Walker and Tucker. I would prefer either over Smith. I think Tucker might fit our roster better than Walker.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
NCSU is the exact opposite of GT. We have outperformed by any expectation and they have massively underperformed. The discussion of their talent here is tainted by how badly they have done but by most outside opinions the pieces parts they have are certainly in the upper half of the ACC . It is even more of a shocker given that Gottfried shook up his staff this year with a goal of making a move in the ACC. Unlike GT he doesn't seem to be getting much out of his staff though he has moved away from his beloved UCLA high post offense. Guess Smith didn't like the structure. :(

Any objective analysis of their "talent" would say it is more than enough to get to the dance. In reality it isn't close.

FYI - Duke is a great matchup for Smith as they don't have anyone who can stay in front of him. Certainly not Allen or Kennard. FSU can stay in front and has real help when he gets to the paint.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Watching Duke since Coach K came back, I'm not sure why any good to elite high major program would take the chance on Jeff Capel anymore. I said that Capel's "audtion" while Coach K was away was a high risk/high reward scenario for him. If you're a program looking for someone who can recruit and win enough games to make you an occassional Dance team, then I guess Capel will do. But if you've got a coach like that already (see: Indiana, Pitt before Jamie Dixon left, etc.) and want to be a consistent Sweet 16 plus team, Capel would not be your guy.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The only game Capel lost that he shouldn't have was NCSU. I don't think K wins at FSU and at Louisville. Those are 2 really tough games and Duke did not have Jefferson for those games. Capel also started the short bench for Duke approach they are going with now moving Jackson and Giles to the bench and limiting Giles minutes. Part of that was the experimentation and getting over injuries Duke was doing early on with K - but Capel (likely in concert with K) worked through the process of getting to the rotation they are using now.

When you look at what was going on at Duke I don't think Capel hurt himself at all.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cmon Syracuse damn....
FYI it was a pick 'em game. Syracuse not as good as people here think... Pitt not as bad. Still laid an egg. Tough part of schedule coming up for 'Cuse with home-and-home vs. Louisville, home-and-home vs. GT, and hosting Duke.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good game tonight between L'ville and Syracuse. L'ville jumped out early with hot 3-pt shooting but Syracusehas clawed back in with an 8-0 run before halftime.

In other news, Chris Clarke at VT tore his ACL last night and is done for the season. That's a significant hit for VT. Good for them getting that win last night as their finishing schedule is quite tough.