ACC Discussion

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
So why is the action of opposing players your standard for whether someone was punished enough?
It's not my standard for defining an appropriate punishment; I see at it as an indicator after the fact that a particular punishment may not have been sufficient. No matter what you or I think, if at the end of the day the guys on the court think someone got off with a slap on the wrist and still want to take a shot at him, or if they simply think that he's still a danger to be around, then there is a problem and little was accomplished by the punishment. We might just as well institute a Penalty Box rule, like in hockey.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Unbelievable the calls duke gets...even on the road at ND. Who's officiating this game? They really suck! Even the announcers have commentated on them

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ND's next game is @ UNC. If ND goes down they'll have a 4 game losing streak (and 5 of last 6). And we could have 1 less top 25 win come next week's poll. This is why we need to keep winning.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You can look at ND and easily make the case that they were never as good as their record. Their 5-0 start was fueled by five very close games they won by a total of 23 points. They have genuine problems inside and have been out rebounded in all four of their recent losses. Bonzie Colson, at 6-5, is their leading rebounder and inside score. He has almost triple the number of boards as their #2 guy. They are a really good FT shooting team, but they rely far too much on 3-point shooting. When they are off, scoring is very difficult for them.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not all that concerned with our SOS. A team or two may fall out of the top 25, but the ACC is almost certainly going to finish with 5-6 top 25 teams even if there's a shakeup from the teams currently there. Also, there are currently 4 teams on our schedule in the 51-60 range, and some of them will probably jump into the top 50 before the season ends. I think our SOS will work itself out, and I think 9 conference wins gets us into the NCAA tournament as a 10-12 seed, even without a win in the ACC tournament. With that said, we've shown we can do more than that, so I'm just looking forward to seeing how much this team actually accomplishes this year.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
From Forde Minutes

COACH WHO SHOULD TAKE THE BUS TO WORK

Mark Gottfried (38), North Carolina State. Six days after winning at Duke, the Wolfpack did what they tend to do: slack off and shut down. They were mauled 85-60 by Louisville, in a game where NCSU trailed by more than 30. Illustrative of the Wolfpack’s effort was a play where Louisville center Anas Mahmoud caught the ball at the top of the key, watched his man leave him, took one dribble and two steps and slammed the ball home completely unmolested.

Mahmoud said later that the man guarding him literally said, “Oh, we’re playing zone,” and relocated to leave the lane wide open. “We never get a lane that wide open in practice,” Mahmoud said. That’s because Rick Pitino would lose his mind if it happened. Gottfried? Eh, things happen.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
From Forde Minutes

COACH WHO SHOULD TAKE THE BUS TO WORK

Mark Gottfried (38), North Carolina State. Six days after winning at Duke, the Wolfpack did what they tend to do: slack off and shut down. They were mauled 85-60 by Louisville, in a game where NCSU trailed by more than 30. Illustrative of the Wolfpack’s effort was a play where Louisville center Anas Mahmoud caught the ball at the top of the key, watched his man leave him, took one dribble and two steps and slammed the ball home completely unmolested.

Mahmoud said later that the man guarding him literally said, “Oh, we’re playing zone,” and relocated to leave the lane wide open. “We never get a lane that wide open in practice,” Mahmoud said. That’s because Rick Pitino would lose his mind if it happened. Gottfried? Eh, things happen.
Mark Gottfried will be in the unemployment line very soon.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd put a C note on Musselman being the next LSU coach.

I might have to take you up on that action. Muss would be a good pick, however, LSU's AD's coach-picking prowess is up for debate. Plus, I wonder if the supposed state money situation will force them to go the unproven assistant (i.e., cheap) route.

He would be a much better pick;)(y) Missouri will probably have to settle for whatever head coach or assistant is willing to take the job.

Mizzou should just fire their guy now. Spare him the agony of finishing out the season.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I might have to take you up on that action. Muss would be a good pick, however, LSU's AD's coach-picking prowess is up for debate. Plus, I wonder if the supposed state money situation will force them to go the unproven assistant (i.e., cheap) route.

Mizzou should just fire their guy now. Spare him the agony of finishing out the season.
That program has died. I remember when Missouri has a very good program in the Big Xll. LSU blew too much money on Ed Orgeron and wont have a lot to spend most likely on a Men's Basketball coach. LSU fans don't give a dayamm about basketball anyway.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are some other item's of interest from Pat Forde's minutes

STRETCH RUN STORYLINES

The nightly brawl that is the Atlantic Coast Conference (3). “It’s a crazy conference,” Louisville coach Rick Pitino said Sunday. “It just really is.” This looks like a possible 10-bid league, maybe even 11 when all is said and done, which would tie the NCAA tournament record. That ridiculous depth was evident Saturday, when ranked Florida State, Notre Dame and North Carolina all lost to unranked opponents – two of them badly. The pecking order could change half a dozen times between now and March 12, but this week the red-hot team is Louisville. The Cardinals won their last two games (Pittsburgh, North Carolina State) by a combined 80 points, the biggest margin in consecutive league contests for any power-six school in the nation this season.

BUBBLE TEAMS IN NEED OF A SOLID STRETCH RUN

Georgia (12). At present, there are four SEC teams in most mock brackets: Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina and Arkansas. The idea of adding a fifth seems about as smart as adding more bowl games, but the Bulldogs (13-8, 4-4) are hanging around the bubble and have some opportunities for big wins upcoming. Georgia plays Kentucky twice (first time is Tuesday in Lexington), Florida, South Carolina and Arkansas once more, plus a trip to Tennessee. Winning two or three of those would give the ‘Dogs a chance – and also enhance Mark Fox’s job security.

Clemson (13). The Tigers (12-8, 2-6) have no bad losses, but they also have a lot of them. Still, the remaining slate offers some get-well opportunities for the team that has played the toughest ACC schedule to date, according to Ken Pomeroy. Clemson has six remaining home games, all of them winnable (Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Florida State, North Carolina State, Boston College). Go 6-0 in those games, swipe one on the road (perhaps at Virginia Tech on Feb. 21), and Clemson is 19-11, 9-9 heading into the ACC tourney."

NEW FACES, NEW PLACES, NICE RESULTS":

Josh Pastner (17) , Georgia Tech. The leading candidate for ACC Coach of the Year? Yeah, it’s the guy Memphis paid seven figures to go away after last season. After taking over a team that lost 76 percent of its scoring from 2015-16 and seemed destined for the league basement, Pastner has engineered upsets of North Carolina, Florida State and Notre Dame. Combine those wins with a victory at VCU, and Tech (13-8, 5-4) is starting to cobble together an NCAA tourney résumé – something the Yellow Jackets last visited in 2010. Pastner made a savvy move when he hired former Portland head coach Eric Reveno to give him an experienced sounding board, and he’s done some sharp in-game coaching by mixing up defenses. By ACC standards, the remaining schedule is not that tough – Tech could pile up more wins in the coming weeks.

NEW FACES, NEW PLACES, NOT-SO-NICE RESULTS

Kevin Stallings (21) , Pittsburgh. Bizarre hire that has played out disastrously to date. The Panthers (12-9, 1-7) are last in the ACC and riding a six-game losing streak that includes losses by 26 and 55 points at home. And here’s the really scary thing: that’s with four seniors in the starting lineup. Suffice to say, there seems to be a lack of a buy-in by the veteran holdovers, and next year could be nuclear winter. All the Pitt fans who didn’t think Jamie Dixon was good enough, how are you feeling now?

Rick Stansbury (25) , Western Kentucky. Ray Harper resigned abruptly last year for off-court reasons, giving Kentucky native Stansbury a chance to revive his career. He’s added a couple of shocking recruiting scores that could vault WKU to the top of Conference USA, but they’re not around to help this season. Even with four seniors starting, the Hilltoppers (11-11) could be headed for their worst record since 1999-2000, when they went 11-18.

KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE AND YOUR REALTOR CLOSER

Craig Neal (30) , New Mexico. Neal went 27-7 his first season with Steve Alford’s leftovers, and it’s been a muddle of mediocrity ever since. He’s 45-40 since then, 23-23 in a down Mountain West. A recent four-game winning streak was emphatically halted in a 17-point loss to Nevada.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-...ollege-basketballs-stretch-run-050916502.html

Ad:

Last edited: