ACC Discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't know why you think Gottfried is on the way out unless someone else hires him. Decent to good record and has a potentially really good team this year (Red's comments about Smith notwithstanding). And Yao has announced her retirement next year so she ain't really up to be firing and hiring just before she takes off.

Care to make a friendly wager on it? Sig or avatar bet?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Care to make a friendly wager on it? Sig or avatar bet?

Since I don't have a sig or avatar not sure I can bet em. Would have to figure out how to do one first. Which punch cards do you use? :)
But sure. He has amassed a fair amount of talent this year so I don't see things falling off a cliff. And Yao has already shown she is willing to put up with all his other shenanigans.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Since I don't have a sig or avatar not sure I can bet em. Would have to figure out how to do one first. Which punch cards do you use? :)
But sure. He has amassed a fair amount of talent this year so I don't see things falling off a cliff. And Yao has already shown she is willing to put up with all his other shenanigans.

Ha. I've been calling for his firing the last 2 years and dtm has been calling me an idiot for it. I'll be right sooner or later.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know why you think Gottfried is on the way out unless someone else hires him. Decent to good record and has a potentially really good team this year (Red's comments about Smith notwithstanding). And Yao has announced her retirement next year so she ain't really up to be firing and hiring just before she takes off.
This is interesting. Gottfried seems to be in the sights of a substantial minority of the NCSU fanbase all year long. Then everyone gets excited with the signing of Smith and Yurtseven, and the decision by Abu to return after flirting with the NBA draft. Now the excuse seems to be that the big Turk will be the missing piece. There's a good deal of logic to that argument when you realize the Pack is getting their butts kicked on the boards. His big (7'0", 245) body will at least occupy a lot of space. If his talent meshes with the current team, their fortunes could improve a lot. But, the coaching change State really needs will have to happen in Durham or Chapel Hill.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Gottfried has well-documented issues with the NCSU booster community. (google should give you all the dirt you desire on that front) In addition, he finally has a roster that should be top 15. If he underperforms, the wolves will come out for him. He has done an admirable job winning with subpar rosters in Raleigh, but now he has an elite PG, talented bigs (Abu, Yurtseven and Kagita) and wing scoring (Dorn & Henderson). One of the most talented rosters in the conference. Expectations are very high and if he falls short, it will get ugly

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gottfried has well-documented issues with the NCSU booster community. (google should give you all the dirt you desire on that front) In addition, he finally has a roster that should be top 15. If he underperforms, the wolves will come out for him. He has done an admirable job winning with subpar rosters in Raleigh, but now he has an elite PG, talented bigs (Abu, Yurtseven and Kagita) and wing scoring (Dorn & Henderson). One of the most talented rosters in the conference. Expectations are very high and if he falls short, it will get ugly

No question about Gottfried's issues with the local community. If only half of the rumors are true he would have been gone from GT long ago. The con is that if she was going to do anything Yao would have already done it on that basis. Throw in her retirement next year and I don't see anything happening till then.

It is possible the new guy may fire him day one regardless of what his results are over the next 2 years just based on the junk he has done.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One of the UNC assistants needs to man up and call a TO on their own. Roy is doing his yearly hari Kari job of watching his team implode in the first half without him calling anything to try to get them refocused and reorganized. 20 points is time to call a TO especially when you have to call one in the first half anyway

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gott will be safe at NC ST until Yow retires. She hired him, so she will not fire him.
Frankly his record there doesn't support firing him at this time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Did I use the term "bruh"? That may have been where tone was misconstrued.

I don't know. You don't sound like the "bruh" type. Maybe a "brah" kind of guy tho. Do you skateboard?

Lastly, I'm taking no credit for this derailment.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know. You don't sound like the "bruh" type. Maybe a "brah" kind of guy tho. Do you skateboard?

Lastly, I'm taking no credit for this derailment.

I use both, depending on the situation.

Meanwhile, I watched that Clemson game last night instead of UVA or UNC. Those games are not gonna be fun. Clemson still plays defense & rebounds well, but now Brownell has multiple players that can flat out get a basket when needed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In the interest of accuracy and fairness, dtm did not actually call me an idiot. He merely implied it with his tone. ;)

Fwiw, I inferred "idiot" not from the tone of his post but from the substance of yours. ;)