ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@CuseJacket - tf was that garbage?
I really want to make a joke about how it's a typical mid-major mucking it up and making a travesty of the game.

Reality is that's what it was, unintentionally. Complete garbage by Syracuse. Inexcusable. I rarely get angry over insignificant games anymore. This one set me back. Has nothing to do with 'Cuse/UConn and everything to do with top-10 individual talent this year looking like, dare I say, a CBG coached team offensively. Give me a break. Just lost to a team that won't make the NIT. Several things need to change and quickly.

ETA: If you want to see a complete meltdown, head on over to SyracuseFan.com. Some good Schadenfreude if nothing else. A few fans are ready to put Boeheim on the market 8 games after another Final 4. Potential splash hire for GT.

Last edited:

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
BC lost to Hartford. I can see them losing their last game to Harvard, but Hartford is sad. We better not be in the basement after seeing some of their losses.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'd probably lose to Harvard also, considering how many 4*s they have that are actually good.

I won't be thrilled if we end up in last place, but I can at least accept it, given where we're at. That said, I really want those few ACC wins just so we can unleash hell on Rothstein.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
We'd probably lose to Harvard also, considering how many 4*s they have that are actually good.

Yup. Harvard has been more relevant than us for four of the past five years. Sad, but it's the undisputable truth. Hoping we get back to place where we can count on beating P5 teams and not just the Tenn Techs and Sam Houstons of the world

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't decide if I'm happy BC won to make Auburn, a chief competitor in recruiting, look bad or annoyed because BC can use this as a rallying point for their season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been a good week for ACC Teams against the SEC so far.
UNC beat TN, VT beat Ole Miss, FSU beat FL and now BC beat Auburn.

Clemson and SC tangle tonight.
Hopefully Clemson wins that one and GT can find a way to beat UGA on the 20th.

ACC currently has 6 teams in the top 25 and 3 more in the first 6 of others receiving votes.
This conference is going to be brutal this year.

BC got it's usual games from Robinson and Turner but FR Bowman had a good game and that was probably the difference.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC currently has 6 teams in the top 25 and 3 more in the first 6 of others receiving votes.
This conference is going to be brutal this year.

With the exception of college football on a year-in, year-out basis, is it fair to say that the ACC is the top conference in all other major sports, including women's? Boston College has a long history in hockey and made the Frozen Four in 2016

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
With the exception of college football on a year-in, year-out basis, is it fair to say that the ACC is the top conference in all other major sports, including women's? Boston College has a long history in hockey and made the Frozen Four in 2016
The ACC does not sponsor a hockey league (only ND and BC field varsity teams in Men's Hockey), but the conference is generally alright at most other things. I didn't know until now that Cuse doesn't field a varsity Baseball team, though.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was actually a release a month or so ago that mentioned that the ACC had more top 10 teams across all the fall sports than any other conference.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The ACC does not sponsor a hockey league (only ND and BC field varsity teams in Men's Hockey), but the conference is generally alright at most other things. I didn't know until now that Cuse doesn't field a varsity Baseball team, though.
'Cuse was too busy going to 22 consecutive lacrosse final fours to worry about baseball (the streak ended a decade ago, sigh)

I don't follow baseball and softball closely - time to go to the bullpen and bring in @GTNavyNuke. My impression is SEC is the top conference in baseball and the PAC for softball.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Going by memory, so completely admit I may be off, but....

I think PAC 10 /12 is pretty strong in many sports that ACC is not as deep / strong in. Baseball, swimming & diving, softball, volleyball, track & field.
SEC is also very strong in gymnastics, track & field, baseball
Big 10/11/12 (Michigan, Illinois et al) are big in hockey and wrestling
Texas is very strong across the board. Not sure the rest of their conference is good at much of anything, but the Longhorns are loaded in most non-rev sports (Kansas obviously great in men's hoops and OU has been pretty strong in football for a long time)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think folks are forgetting that the ACC was the second best baseball conference to the SEC and that was by a hair.
If you look at Soccer and lacross the ACC is the best by a wide margin. Even with Stanford winning it all in soccer.
Track I don't know much about
If you go to women's sports Gymnastics is SEC land but basketball is big in the ACC recognizing UCON dominance at the top
Volleyball ACC is middle of the pack.

I haven't seen Director's Cup standings by conference but I would bet ACC would be at or near the top

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If this holds up, our chances of 2 ACC wins will go up...

I watched the Johnnies lose that LIU-BK game too.