ACC Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Only tangentially related but anyone surprised that Larry Brown and SMU got whacked today.
Brown has to sit for 30% of SMU's games this season. SMU is banned from post season this season and loses 9 scholarships over the next 3 years.

3rd college program to face major sanctions under Brown.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gah, you beat me by 3 minutes. I've been waiting months for this news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-postseason-ban-coach-larry-brown-suspended/

Anybody who thought this would end any differently is just not paying attention. The funniest part of the sanctions is this ...
Brown also will have to attend a regional rules seminar over the next two years, according to Goodman.

Imaging that smug 70+ yo dude having to sit through some rules class is just pure comedy to me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not surprised at all. Most didn't even see it - but UNC announced a couple of weeks ago that it unearthed a little more that needs to be investigated after NCAA presented its intial findings - effectively moving the clock back on any NCAA decision - and all but guaranteeing that no NCAA decision will come down until after the NCAA Tourney concludes. Doubt that was by accident.

I don't think NCAA has any desire at all to punish UNC - one of its biggest cash cows (remember NCAA gets 0 money from football, the majority of its money comes from basketball and the tourney) - and is only going through the process because it is basically being forced to by media coverage. Notice how little of any of the focus has been on the men's basketball program'

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You dont even really see it being covered by ESPN. Not like they covered Miami and USC football or undoubtedly like they will cover SMU

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You dont even really see it being covered by ESPN. Not like they covered Miami and USC football or undoubtedly like they will cover SMU

It's downright comical how little coverage the UNC stuff has gotten considering how widespread the corruption was (is) there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Aaron Beard is mentioning what I mentioned earlier. The time line at the time of the notice of allegations would have put a final NCAA decision and appeal done before the NCAA Tourney started - potentially putting UNC in a bad spot if one of the punishments is loss of postseason play.

By UNC saying hey we found something else that should be investigated before a final decision is made they basically pushed the clock back so no final decision will be done until after the Tourney - basically making sure that their highly ranked team won't have to worry about a post-season ban this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... almost swear that the NCAA is praying that folks just forget that anything questionable, much less blatant, has happened at UNC.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Uhhhh.... can Donovan Mitchell, Deng Adel, or Anas Mahmoud get waivers to transfer in-conference?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pitino has to go. UL cannot, as a public university, turn a blind eye to a crime of this magnitude and duration. If true, Pitino is suddenly a huge embarrassment to the university system.