ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess we shouldn't write off Cuse just yet in their pursuit of Thomas Bryant. Wonder if they ran them off.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The two transfers were expected departures since midseason. As a result Thomas Bryant has never been out of the picture. With an appeal of the NCAA sanctions, Syracuse will at minimum delay the scholarship cut to 10. Bryant is a kid originally from down the street in Rochester.

Syracuse may essentially replace Rakeem Christmas with 7 "new" faces:
  • Four 4* signees
  • 5* Thomas Bryant
  • Former 5* C Dajuan Coleman (out last year)
  • Former 5* PF Chris McCullough (torn ACL at start of ACC season)
How Moyer and Battle work out will be interesting and likely depend on where the final scholarship reductions land.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Syracuse will lose the appeal. They were given penalties based on the old rules from when the investigation started. If they had been penalized based on the current rules it would have been more severe, including a full season ban for Boeheim.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@kg01 - Better to reply to your question to me here about Boeheim's press conference yesterday than mix it into the March Madness thread. Finished watching the hour press conference last night.

Short answer on my opinion is I thought Boeheim was ~90% sincere and agree, based on what I've read as well as Boeheim's explanation, that the punishment does not fit the crime. I find myself getting emotionally wrapped up in this though so I don't feel like I have good perspective.

Slight longer answer, I think Boeheim made really interesting points on the academic fraud and extra benefits. I think he shirked too much responsibility on the drug testing. All in all though, I felt he made a compelling argument that the NCAA made unfair conclusions. Two points that he made that I hadn't seen summarized until yesterday:
  • Re: academic fraud, after the 10 year investigation they found one case of fraud (Fab Melo's paper). The investigation asked Boeheim if he thought it was reasonable that Melo completed a 10-page paper in 2 days to meet a deadline. Boeheim responded, why is that unreasonable when it's a paper on his life? The process of changing the grade after Melo was ineligible is a process open to all students. There were additional points made that lead me to believe this should truly be a non-issue as far as Boeheim's involvement/oversight is concerned. At least not to the point where there could be any conclusive statement that Boeheim has any amount of responsibility.
  • Boeheim pretty well described his efforts to promote an atmosphere of compliance, which he stated wasn't even heard by the investigation committee. Even as you delve into what constitutes an atmosphere of compliance, per Boeheim the NCAA investigation didn't state what he should have done differently, just that he didn't promote it. Really hard to draw that conclusion based on not discussing the topic in detail with Boeheim nor offering what they think he should have done differently.

I feel a little better about this position after hearing Jay Bilas, whose opinion I respect, offer the same opinion. And truly, one of the big issues with the case is the interpretation of NCAA rules.

@RamblinRed - I agree. Appealing to the same body that handed down the punishment likely won't yield the desired results.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As we start thinking about next season, I'm a big fan of the preseason tournaments and have gone to several in the past. Usually a good trip. As of now, we don't have one scheduled, but scanned a source to try and triangulate where we may end up. Tables don't paste over well, so school on top, then where they're headed. Looks like we've got a shot at NYC or Vegas, which I'm a fan of, or someplace pretty uninteresting to me. Louisville is the only other team totally uncommitted currently, but I'm sure they'd be attractive to any situation. Pitt has the Armed Forces Classic, but I'd imagine they'd add a preseason event also.

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2...asketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

UVA
Charleston Classic
dook
2K Sports Classic
ND
Orlando Classic
UNC
CBE Hall of Fame Classic
Louisville
Not yet announced
Miami
Puerto Rico Tip-Off
NC State
Legends Classic (Brooklyn)
Pitt
Armed Forces Classic (single game); Maybe additional tourney
Syracuse
Battle4Atlantis
Florida State
Paradise Jam
Clemson
MGM Grand Main Event
Wake Forest
Maui Invitational
Boston College
The Wooden Legacy
Georgia Tech
· Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic (Brooklyn)
· Gulf Coast Showcase
· NIT Season Tip-Off (MSG)
· Great Alaska Shootout
· Las Vegas Invitational
· Corpus Christi Challenge
Virginia Tech
Emerald Coast Classic

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure where else to put this since they're not in the ACC anymore, but looks like Melo Trimble is coming back for his sophomore season. Maryland is going to be HEAVILY favored going into next year with BBC becoming eligible and Diamond Stone recently committing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Can't decide if it's a clear out, bad decision, or both.

99.99% bad decision. He made no secret about his desire to go one-and-done before he hit campus. Only reason it was ever in doubt is due to the ACL tear. The injury meant he was going to stay one more year at most.

Pretty much no reason Syracuse needs to clear out their best returning post player. From what I gather the university is still planning to appeal NCAA sanctions, try to get a commitment from Thomas Bryant, which would have then moved their total scholarships to 11 or 12 (as opposed to the 10 imposed), which is still well short of the normal 13 max.