ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At what point will UNC actually be punished? Their investigation has been going on so long there are already a couple books out regarding it. Its ridiculous.
I'm sure they're (NCAA, ACC, & UNC) doing everything in their power to allow UNC to skate.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You mentioned 2 walk-ons. It would be Heyward for sure (I'd like to think his older brother could pick up tuition), Josh Heath (his former HC father could probably pick up the tab), and if I had to guess, Quinton Stephens. Admittedly, this is why I always felt we'd be able to make room for Jaylen Brown no matter what.
I thought Peek and Doyle were both on scholarship this year. I can count 12 recruited players, including Jacobs. But I thought Cox did not count against the 13 because he is in grad school.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah meanwhile UMass and Memphis were on probation because of Cal.

Is it feasible for the Universities to "secede" for lack of a better term from the NCAA? Is there a contract? What makes them the regulating body outside the fact that everyone abides by them?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wonder what's in store for UNC?

Nuthin'

At what point will UNC actually be punished? Their investigation has been going on so long there are already a couple books out regarding it. Its ridiculous.

Probably right after R Kelly get's punished for that whole rape thing. Stall tactics have all but eliminated the fervor behind that one.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some interesting punishments. That scholly hit is huge and will complicate things on multiple fronts. They are not going to start it until after next year because they have a strong class coming in - but that basically means there are going to be a couple of years where they are not going to sign much of anybody. That will create a future hole.

They can talk all they want about he only uses 7 players. They still have to recruit more than that. It takes away any slack for recruiting mis-evaluations, injuries, academic issues. etc.

They also were reduced from 4 coaches being able to be on the road to recruit down to 2 for the next 2 years. That means fewer eyes to scout players and recruit. And more likely to miss on players. Also fewer chances for a recruit to feel like they are being recruited hard.

Also, with the scholly reductions lasting until 2020 - Boeheim would be 75 - I doubt he goes that long, which means if they decide not to promote Hopkins trying to find a replacement will be quite difficult.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I still doubt anything significant happens to UNC.
Go to their board and they are still largely in denial. With a large thread saying how this has nothing to do with what happened at UNC since this is related to the basketball programs while what happened at UNC was not athletics but academic related. They are wrong - but that is how you rationalize things.

More importantly, NCAA makes its money off of the Basketball tourney. Remember they get nothing from football. So it isn't in their interest to take out one of their biggest basketball brands.

Pea, NCAA is an organization run by its members - the schools. They won't leave because they want to keep a veneer of their being someone watching over them. Otherwise they have to just police themselves and they don't want to look that way.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Go to their board and they are still largely in denial. With a large thread saying how this has nothing to do with what happened at UNC since this is related to the basketball programs while what happened at UNC was not athletics but academic related. They are wrong - but that is how you rationalize things.

More importantly, NCAA makes its money off of the Basketball tourney. Remember they get nothing from football. So it isn't in their interest to take out one of their biggest basketball brands.

Pea, NCAA is an organization run by its members - the schools. They won't leave because they want to keep a veneer of their being someone watching over them. Otherwise they have to just police themselves and they don't want to look that way.
Red, you may be right, but the UNC alums here in NC are not that confident. And the NC State crowd is lobbying for the hammer. It is my expectation that UNC will get the Lack of Institutional Control penalties. It would not be so bad if faculty and admin were not deeply involved. The fact that Jan Boxill resigned this week is a key indicator that UNC is bracing for the worst. I am thinking they will get 2-3 years of no post season plus schollies. The UNC basketball crowd is hoping Williams does not get hit separately from UNC. Nerves are on edge here today.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
More. The Raleigh and Charlotte newspapers are pushing this very hard. UNC has forced the local media to file FOI briefs for every bit of info. Since the NCAA has no power to force UNC to comply, this is taking longer. That tells me the admin is not comfortable with the facts. And the facts are not good for UNC. Faculty and staff have are not saingy anything that compromises the university position relative the NCAA. If the Heels escape this with less that I predicted, I think you will hear screams from the NCSU crowd. And probably the Duke alums.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm hoping they get hammered - they should. But the NCAA has a long history of weaseling out on their cash cows.

I "liked" this post because it's true, not because I actually like it. They'll push it off long enough that the outrage will subside. Too bad.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Just curious - where would you put Syracuse on the list of basketball brands?

Obviously they're not touching UNC, but I'd say they're safely in the top 15, maybe bottom of the top 10.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gotta say, Boehiem skipping his press conference after his team's season is over was quite bush league.