ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Personal opinion... who cares? Clemson basketball gets too much respect here. They just tied their 2nd longest postseason run in history with a Sweet 16 berth. One time they reached the Elite 8 (1980). Clemson has never cared about basketball, therefore I extend the excuse to their AD.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Personal opinion... who cares? Clemson basketball gets too much respect here. They just tied their 2nd longest postseason run in history with a Sweet 16 berth. One time they reached the Elite 8 (1980). Clemson has never cared about basketball, therefore I extend the excuse to their AD.

The only reason any of us care is to the extent that we can make fun of them and, specifically, their AD.

Is that ok with you or do you want to keep fun-killin'? :D

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess I do not understand the Brad Brownell hate around the Swarm. He has a winning record at Clemson. It seems to me that Clemson is happy with their investment and results related to basketball. I may be wrong, but it will never be their top priority. Is it even second?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I don’t. I mean I do, but in a good way. He just set them up to pay (what I assume) will be a sizeable buyout in a couple years when Brownell loses Mitchell, Reed and Thomas and goes into the tank. Or they will just sink back into nothingness for a while

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I find the Clemson hate interesting. Yes, our former AD tried to bankrupt us and then ran up 85 to try and do the same to them. They are football and baseball first. Basketball a distant afterthought. You can argue the same is true on the Flats.
Tech has had more basketball success, but we don't have an amazing record. (23 wins in 16 appearances versus 9 wins in 11 appearances)
Clemson's football program is far above ours, especially in the last 20 - 25 years.

Are they an academic powerhouse? Nope. Are they a great basketball program? Nope. Do I hate them? Nope. (I will decline to answer if asked my feelings for DRad as this is a family friendly forum.)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I find the Clemson hate interesting. Yes, our former AD tried to bankrupt us and then ran up 85 to try and do the same to them. They are football and baseball first. Basketball a distant afterthought. You can argue the same is true on the Flats.
Tech has had more basketball success, but we don't have an amazing record. (23 wins in 16 appearances versus 9 wins in 11 appearances)
Clemson's football program is far above ours, especially in the last 20 - 25 years.

Are they an academic powerhouse? Nope. Are they a great basketball program? Nope. Do I hate them? Nope. (I will decline to answer if asked my feelings for DRad as this is a family friendly forum.)

I actually don't dislike Clemson at all. I just think LazyAD is a lazy **** for his magical spreadsheet used to buy out Hewitt and his lazy & cheap hiring of Hewitt's replacement. He can go jump in a lake.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The only reason any of us care is to the extent that we can make fun of them and, specifically, their AD.

Is that ok with you or do you want to keep fun-killin'? :D
I think you meant to press 'Like' rather than 'Reply'.

I agree with hating/disliking DRad. There are a number of good reasons for it. I just don't think Clemson is "screwed" per se as I felt was the sentiment in response to Brownell's contract extension. Don't get me wrong, I hope they are, as that would help us. But I don't think anyone on their side really cares about basketball. A mediocre program deserves a mediocre coach.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Clough screwed GT athletics by hiring Braine (the hemorrhoid that keeps on giving), then screwed Radakovich in his first coaching hire.

I don't hate Radakovich, but I hate Clemson. Don't tell me that Dabo didn't build that program by massive cheating. I have no respect for the Taters. If the NCAA was worth a crap, the orange necks would get the death penalty. Then again, if Radakovich has turned a blind eye to the cheating, I hate him too.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Podcast mentions how far down the list Roy Williams is among acc coaches. Trust me Roy Williams is bringing way more than 2 million in a year. Shady UNC has its ways. Just like fake classes I guess uncheats doesn't want people to know his actual total pay. Usual shoe company shenanigans- Nike contract & other bogus sport contracts etc.
An annual investigative report by USA Today notes that although the NCAA used to require schools to collect information on outside income received by coaches, many schools have stopped amassing this data. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is one of them. (Color me surprised.) While Williams’ base compensation is $2.1 million, it’s safe to say he’s probably getting paid much more, USA Today notes. (Duh I'm certain he's making close to rat face.)
Not to say he doesn't deserve it with those final 4s & nattys. Just typical uncheats bs.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like building national championship trophy cases @ Clemson?

Over here, I think you'll find way less than the few people that agree with your modest praise for LazyAD's time at GT.

Here, in the basketball forum, it's well remembered how:
  • he didn't rip the band aid sooner, removing Hewitt from his post, when he should have.
  • he created a "magical spreadsheet" used to "smooth" the cash flows of Hewitt's buyout, that increased the total payout and extended its lifespan.
  • he didn't put in the effort to raise the money... because he wasn't good at fundraising.
  • by not raising the money to clear the field, he cheaped out on getting us a better basketball coach and hired BG, relying on Eddie Fogler to make the hire because he didn't care about it.
  • he punted on getting out of the Russell contract when we had a market look-in opportunity and then high tailed it to Clemson shortly thereafter.
  • he decimated the fundraising of the A-T Fund, crucial to the underlying student-athlete scholarships, in favor of the Tech Fund, used for operational expenses, which had the potential to erode the season ticket base.
So I didn't spout my comments towards LazyAD in the football forum. That's not really my house. You may have a couple of valid points in the sense that LazyAD gave us Paul Johnson, a coach I like and stand behind.

That said, that dude was trash as an AD when it came to GT basketball, treating our program like a second class citizen. So you'll have to excuse me if I'm not gonna sit by idly for low key snark in favor of that lazy **** here in the basketball forum. Dude did us, as GT hoops fans, no favors whatsoever.