ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Over here, I think you'll find way less than the few people that agree with your modest praise for LazyAD's time at GT.

Here, in the basketball forum, it's well remembered how:
  • he didn't rip the band aid sooner, removing Hewitt from his post, when he should have.
  • he created a "magical spreadsheet" used to "smooth" the cash flows of Hewitt's buyout, that increased the total payout and extended its lifespan.
  • he didn't put in the effort to raise the money... because he wasn't good at fundraising.
  • by not raising the money to clear the field, he cheaped out on getting us a better basketball coach and hired BG, relying on Eddie Fogler to make the hire because he didn't care about it.
  • he punted on getting out of the Russell contract when we had a market look-in opportunity and then high tailed it to Clemson shortly thereafter.
  • he decimated the fundraising of the A-T Fund, crucial to the underlying student-athlete scholarships, in favor of the Tech Fund, used for operational expenses, which had the potential to erode the season ticket base.
So I didn't spout my comments towards LazyAD in the football forum. That's not really my house. You may have a couple of valid points in the sense that LazyAD gave us Paul Johnson, a coach I like and stand behind.

That said, that dude was trash as an AD when it came to GT basketball, treating our program like a second class citizen. So you'll have to excuse me if I'm not gonna sit by idly for low key snark in favor of that lazy **** here in the basketball forum. Dude did us, as GT hoops fans, no favors whatsoever.
I remember Paul Johnson complaining about the amount of money he had to pay assistant coaches. It's not just basketball.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Over here, I think you'll find way less than the few people that agree with your modest praise for LazyAD's time at GT.

• he didn't rip the band aid sooner, removing Hewitt from his post, when he should have.
  • he created a "magical spreadsheet" used to "smooth" the cash flows of Hewitt's buyout, that increased the total payout and extended its lifespan.
  • he didn't put in the effort to raise the money... because he wasn't good at fundraising.
  • by not raising the money to clear the field, he cheaped out on getting us a better basketball coach and hired BG, relying on Eddie Fogler to make the hire because he didn't care about it.
  • he punted on getting out of the Russell contract when we had a market look-in opportunity and then high tailed it to Clemson shortly thereafter.
  • he decimated the fundraising of the A-T Fund, crucial to the underlying student-athlete scholarships, in favor of the Tech Fund, used for operational expenses, which had the potential to erode the season ticket base.
So I didn't spout my comments towards LazyAD in the football forum. That's not really my house. You may have a couple of valid points in the sense that LazyAD gave us Paul Johnson, a coach I like and stand behind.

That said, that dude was trash as an AD when it came to GT basketball, treating our program like a second class citizen. So you'll have to excuse me if I'm not gonna sit by idly for low key snark in favor of that lazy **** here in the basketball forum. Dude did us, as GT hoops fans, no favors whatsoever.

DRad was the worst I have ever heard.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

In the football forum, @Milwaukee is like the Captain Obvious of good natured trolls, imo.

You bit on the neon sign behind a slow motor john boat, imo.

That being said, I agree with everything you posted.

slugboy

Staff member

I did like @Milwakee’s description of a beer deck in the stadium as a “refreshing idea”.

It seems like TStan has a few good things happening, and I’m cautiously optimistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did like @Milwakee’s description of a beer deck in the stadium as a “refreshing idea”.

It seems like TStan has a few good things happening, and I’m cautiously optimistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TStan is great and is actually making things happen while understanding the culture he's working with. TStan is not LazyAD, in case there's any confusion there. TStan is the AD we've been waiting for since Homer Rice retired. The last three have all brought their own share of terrible to the table.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I remember Paul Johnson complaining about the amount of money he had to pay assistant coaches. It's not just basketball.

Most of our assistant football coaches are probably paid what they are worth, but we could use some upgrades that we can't afford.

However, Johnson whines about financial support while he has been one of the top paid coaches in the ACC. He hasn't donated any of his $3 million a year to increase salaries, has he? But he expects all of us to donate from our far smaller salaries to help him out.

He's been paid $1 million/ACC win over the last three years. I bet Pastner would like that pay scale.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Most of our assistant football coaches are probably paid what they are worth, but we could use some upgrades that we can't afford.

However, Johnson whines about financial support while he has been one of the top paid coaches in the ACC. He hasn't donated any of his $3 million a year to increase salaries, has he? But he expects all of us to donate from our far smaller salaries to help him out.

He's been paid $1 million/ACC win over the last three years. I bet Pastner would like that pay scale.
He's 6th in the ACC. I wouldn't call smack dab in the middle as "one of the top paid"

Dabo makes over twice as much as him.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I believe Johnson passed up a salary increase/bonus recently in order to have an increase in assistant coaches salaries.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Like building national championship trophy cases @ Clemson?

I'm not sure what DRad did to win a national championship at Clemson but I'll bite.

DRad, like most people, has certain things he does well and others not as well. He is good at major construction projects (McCamish is great) and the people who work for him generally like and respect him. He was not very good with budgets and fundraising. He completely mishandled the ridiculously simple NCAA investigation, which caused embarrassment to the Institute. This led to him being gently shoved out the door.

Clemson was a good match for him as they were about to build a lot of things. He likes to extend contracts so Dabo and his assistants will be well paid, and deservedly so. Good luck with that strategy regarding other sports. Then again, maybe they don't care.

DRad left behind a bad financial situation that he inherited and made worse. It led to GT hiring Sasquatch, who is a finance guy and hermit. It was really bad for fundraising. I understand Sasquatch did clean up finances in the department but I don't keep up with that personally. Sasquatch didn't understand our culture and didn't care to figure it out.

Stansbury understands GT's quirky culture. He is 4 years ahead of other ADs from the start. GT is very cold to outsiders. It isn't something that is likely to change soon.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have to believe there is more to it than just a tap on the window.
Not trying to give the guy an excuse just trying to figure out how you go from tapping or even knocking on a window to getting clocked like that. Just doesn't make sense - but then I guess a lot of things don't make sense these days.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have to believe there is more to it than just a tap on the window.
Not trying to give the guy an excuse just trying to figure out how you go from tapping or even knocking on a window to getting clocked like that. Just doesn't make sense - but then I guess a lot of things don't make sense these days.

That was my first reaction too. Story reads like the guy lightly tapped the window. I imagine it was more than that.

Certainly doesn't excuse it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honestly, as I read more, it's not as clear as the headlines are saying. The guy was drunk and apparently harrassing others. Supposedly punched someone else, then encountered Jones.

Sad story.
It would have helped Jones' case if he had not fled the scene.