ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm always for getting rid of dumb rules that are just cheated around anyways.
Then the ACC transfer rule should be at the top of your list. It's in place to keep in conference teams from poaching players from each other, which is noble enough. But the new contact rule should take of that problem. What it does is put ACC teams at a competitive disadvantage versus other major conference teams.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Then the ACC transfer rule should be at the top of your list. It's in place to keep in conference teams from poaching players from each other, which is noble enough. But the new contact rule should take of that problem. What it does is put ACC teams at a competitive disadvantage versus other major conference teams.
Oh I certainly agree there too.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The 2 year rule was only for undergrads. Johnson was a starter at Pitt then graduated with 2 years of eligibility left . He is at UNC as a graduate transfer and was able to play immediately. Pitt tried to block him playing within the conference but finally gave up. UNC has too much pull in the ACC. ACC offices just down the road 45 miles from UNC and former UNC AD as the commissioner.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We also got Adam Smith from VPI as a grad transfer with immediate eligibility. I am sure the coaches losing these guys don't like seeing good players with opposing teams in the same league.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, the ACC rule does not apply to grad transfers as they operate under separate specific rules.
Also, Buzz encouraged Adam Smith to leave VT after his JR year.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
We also got Adam Smith from VPI as a grad transfer with immediate eligibility. I am sure the coaches losing these guys don't like seeing good players with opposing teams in the same league.

In fairness, the coaches simply have to 'suck it up'. If the player has successfully satisfied academic requirements to graduate prior to his playing eligibility ending, why should the coach prohibit the student athlete from attending whatever school they wish to attend?