ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we're past the NBA draft deadline, here's the preseason top 25 we've all been waiting for...

ACC teams
7. Duke
8. Virginia
10. Virginia Tech
11. North Carolina
14. Florida State
16. Syracuse
24. Clemson

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
FSU at 14 without a point guard..... oooooook. Clemson, Cuse and FSU all above North Carolina State? oooooooook.
A lot of the preseason predictions put a heavy weight on NCAAT performance.

That said, perhaps you value NC State more than most? Losing their only All-ACC player (3rd team) - Omer Yurtseven - is meaningful. Coming off of a year where they were above average but not great.

On the upside, year 2 of Kevin Keatts, or any coach, should mean something too. And they certainly have other pieces.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
State had 3 transfers sitting out last year. All perimeter players. They will have an abundance of riches on the perimeter. If they can come close to holding their own inside they could be dangerous.

Welcome to the new world of basketball :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Two issues with the model
1) With teams alternating home/away every year, that limits the number of possible opponents to 7 of the 14. And it's almost always the same 7 opponents, save for when the ACC swaps out its bottom feeder.
2) The idea is to put together evenly matched teams. So, of the 7 available teams, unless there's significant disruption in the pecking order, a lot of the same match-ups fall in place.

If I understand correctly, there have been teams who for two consecutive years have either hosted both times or played on the road both times. I don't recall where I saw or heard it, but that's one option if schools are willing to agree. Of course most everyone will raise their hands to host twice and probably not a lot of takers to be the visitors.

Either that, or we just mail in the "even strength" preference and serve up Pitt to Michigan State or Rutgers to Duke just so that it's something new.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Another idea, which would take some planning, is to hold off the challenge until later in the year. Maybe break up the monotony of the conference schedules.

Ex: Conference USA is doing a flex schedule in-conference to get more of their teams in the dance. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...etball-schedule-altered-match-best-teams-late

Taking that model to the ACC/B1G challenge, perhaps we could use the challenge as a mini-bracket buster weekend to get some of the bubble teams mano-a-mano, Or place top teams against each other with 1 seeds at stake. I'm not sure the coaches would like this, but I think it'd be cool for the fans.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT playing at NW makes my day!!! Hell, it makes my month! I get to watch MY team, 5 miles from my home, in a venue that is easy to get into and out of. That is absolutely fantastic!!!!!

(watch, I'll be out of town on business when they come, like I was the last time they played at Welsh-Ryan. Supposedly, they just did a huge renovation.