ACC Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of notes.

Keyshawn Woods is going to take a visit to UVA as a potential grad transfer.

I'll be interested in what happens to Doral Moore. He's big and athletic, but also has only so-so stamina and isn't very developed. He made 153 FG last year and 88 were dunks - that's almost 60% of his made FG. (He made just 45% of his FT including just 40% in ACC play).

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Agree on Doral Moore. The other interesting aspect is that his game (back to the basket, non-mobile big) doesn't translate well into today's NBA. Will be interesting to see who decides to take a chance on him and how they use him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
His has notoriously poor stamina as well. Mostly attributable to the way he gets after it on the offensive glass and trying to block shots but in an up and down nba he really needs to work on his conditioning which will be a challenge give his frame and how much weight he is carrying.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
For his sake, I hope he lands with the right team. I think he has good tools but needs development.
He is huge and long but everytime I watched him he looked so uncoordinated/goofy and no skill. Just a giant. I dont see him being nba caliber unless someone develops the **** out of him. Could be a backup big I guess just to get in the way and take up space.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
My wife shared an interesting story with me today. One of her coworkers is a VT alum and she goes to every VT athletics related event that happens in Atlanta. Recently, she went to see Buzz Williams talk and came away incredibly discouraged. Apparently he came in and told the group that he was exhausted from being out recruiting and that this little meet up was stupid and pointless and that since he was so tired he wasn’t really going to talk much. He also told them that VT was not the type of school that will ever be number 1 or consistently compete for championships.

The whole story just made me appreciate CJP even more. He always takes the time to speak at every event and he is always eternally positive. I know it’s a long road and that we are still a couple of years away, but his positive attitude and work ethic just make me more confident that we will get there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Marcus Carr has confirmed he will not be returning to Pitt. Looks headed to the midwest with Marquette, Minn and Mich all involved.

Xavier Johnson is visiting Pitt today.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Miami has to be considered one of the transfer market winners this spring.
So far they have added the following.

Zack Johnson - grad transfer from FGCU - 6'2, 195 - avg 16.1 ppg, 3.0 apg last season, first team all conference. 30% threes. Former HS teammate of Dewan Heull.

Anthony Mack - Fr Transfer from Wyoming - 6'6, 218 - did not play as FR due to headaches. Is seeking an immediate eligibility transfer due to medical issues at Wyoming. Argument is that altitude caused the medical issues that had him redshirt as a FR. Former 3* recruit.

Kam McGusty - So transfer from Oklahoma - 6'5, 191 - 9.4 ppg over 2 seasons. 34% threes. Will sit upcoming season and have 2 to play.

Miles Wilson - Fr transfer from Mt. St. Mary's - transferred last year eligible this fall. 6'5, 190 - 11.8 ppg as a FR, all-rookie team. 36% threes.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After the Braxton Beverly ruling last Fall, nothing is certain with the NCAA. But, I do not see how Mack can play this year. According to the NCAA rule book, it's his status as a student that matters. He was at Wyoming for a full year. If he had a bum knee and missed an entire season, would that exempt him from the rule? What if he played as a freshman, then missed his sophomore season due to headaches? That can has a lot of worms.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
After the Braxton Beverly ruling last Fall, nothing is certain with the NCAA. But, I do not see how Mack can play this year. According to the NCAA rule book, it's his status as a student that matters. He was at Wyoming for a full year. If he had a bum knee and missed an entire season, would that exempt him from the rule? What if he played as a freshman, then missed his sophomore season due to headaches? That can has a lot of worms.

But wouldn’t the Justin Moore logic apply here as well (if that is indeed a thing) since he never played would he be exempt?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But wouldn’t the Justin Moore logic apply here as well (if that is indeed a thing) since he never played would he be exempt?

I'm pretty sure the Justin Moore logic was just fan speculation. I think Moore will have to sit out a full year despite the fact he didn't play the second semester.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
KQ started that Justin Moore meme. I debated it with him on Twitter, but he never produced the rule he said exists. He may be right, but the rule seems to be pretty clear.

This is the NCAA transfer rule: "Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver." I cannot find anything that lists examples of acceptable reasons for granting waivers. Clearly, Braxton Beverly was granted a waiver in spite of having attended a summer session before transferring to NC State. Since Moore announced his decision to transfer I have not seen or heard anything else about where is planning to enroll. Or what his eligibility status will be.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Will Bynum donthe sane as JM? I remember him becoming eligible around December. I think he played in a few games the year before with Arizona and left around Christmas.