ACC Discussion

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I find it hilarious that in the single best basketball conference in the country, only 4 of the 15 teams are ranked. But hey, not even Kentucky is ranked, so whatever it takes to get 7-8 mid-majors ranked I guess is the way it is now.
That’s what happens when you get spanked in the NCAAT. Just wish it worked that way for SEC football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I find it hilarious that in the single best basketball conference in the country, only 4 of the 15 teams are ranked. But hey, not even Kentucky is ranked, so whatever it takes to get 7-8 mid-majors ranked I guess is the way it is now.

Other than promoting ticket sales or TV viewers, rankings mean nothing at this time of year. That aside, who among the ranked teams do you are undeserving?

Deleted member 2897

Other than promoting ticket sales or TV viewers, rankings mean nothing at this time of year. That aside, who among the ranked teams do you are undeserving?

I dunno, tons of them. I might start with Cincinnati, ranked #9 in the country. Their strength of schedule is #250 (not a typo). Gonzaga is ranked #15 with a #150+ strength of schedule. St. Mary's is ranked #16 with a #190th strength of schedule. Rhode Island is #24 with a #100+ strength of schedule.

Here is Cincinnati's schedule of 20 opponents thus far - what do you think we would be if we played that schedule right now with a healthy roster: Savannah State, Western Carolina, Coppin State, Buffalo, Richmond, Wyoming, Alabama State, Xavier (LOST), Florida (LOST), Miss St, UCLA, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Cleveland State, Memphis, Temple (x2), SMU, South Florida, UCF, East Carolina. They've played 2 teams in the top 45 (lost to them both), and have played 3 teams in the top 60.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The next 2 games we play (home vs Clemson and home vs Syracuse) are super critical for both teams. Both of those teams are going to view a GT win on the road as absolute need - you don't get many chances for road wins in the ACC, so you've got to take one when you have a shot. And being 3-4, we HAVE to win our home games. Can't afford to slip to 3-6.

There are zero mid majors in the current top 25 in my opinion. MAYBE URI. Maybe. All the rest are pretty well established basketball schools that are every bit as good as their ranking

Deleted member 2897

There are zero mid majors in the current top 25 in my opinion. MAYBE URI. Maybe. All the rest are pretty well established basketball schools that are every bit as good as their ranking

I gave Cincinnati as one example. Ranked #9 in the country. Strength of schedule is #250. They've lost every game they've played (2 of them) ranked inside the top 45. They've played 3 games (out of 20) against teams in the Top 60.

Coppin St is #349
Alabama St is #344
Cleveland St is #325
Arkansas Pine-Bluff is #321
Savannah St is #313
South Florida is #312
Western Carolina is #280
I mean come on, LOL...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeeeeeeaaahhhh I see that if you wanna look at it that way. Watching the bearcats play though, and I said before the season started, they are the class of that conference IMHO.

If you’re just going to look at numbers we own wins over Miami and Northwestern ( I know what I said about the NW win) who are fairly high in Kenpom still and we have a legit shot at Syracuse coming up who is also fairly high so if we put those three wins together and compare them to the Bearcats wins are we better than Cincinnati?

Absolutely not.

Deleted member 2897

Yeeeeeeaaahhhh I see that if you wanna look at it that way. Watching the bearcats play though, and I said before the season started, they are the class of that conference IMHO.

If you’re just going to look at numbers we own wins over Miami and Northwestern ( I know what I said about the NW win) who are fairly high in Kenpom still and we have a legit shot at Syracuse coming up who is also fairly high so if we put those three wins together and compare them to the Bearcats wins are we better than Cincinnati?

Absolutely not.

With our current healthy players? I don't see us going 16-2 against their schedule, but I wouldn't be shocked with a 14-4 or something. But that's a completely different subject. I was never contending we were better than Cincinnati, just that the ACC is underrated (in my opinion), and many currently ranked teams are laughably overrated (in my opinion).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
With our current healthy players? I don't see us going 16-2 against their schedule, but I wouldn't be shocked with a 14-4 or something. But that's a completely different subject. I was never contending we were better than Cincinnati, just that the ACC is underrated (in my opinion), and many currently ranked teams are laughably overrated (in my opinion).

Rough take at a transitive property.

Cinci can only beat the teams put in front of them. Is their schedule weak? Sure. But they are one of the best 25 teams in the country in my mind, zero doubt. Just like we are better than Wofford, Wright State and Grambling.

Deleted member 2897

Rough take at a transitive property.

Cinci can only beat the teams put in front of them. Is their schedule weak? Sure. But they are one of the best 25 teams in the country in my mind, zero doubt. Just like we are better than Wofford, Wright State and Grambling.

Well most people apparently think they are 1 of the best 9 teams in the country. Despite not having beaten a single 1 of the top 45. So it’s an interesting evaluation matrix they must be using in their heads.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well most people apparently think they are 1 of the best 9 teams in the country. Despite not having beaten a single 1 of the top 45. So it’s an interesting evaluation matrix they must be using in their heads.

I would be hard pressed to name 9-12 better teams this year

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Peterson quote from the article

“One of the challenges is, if you’re playing a lot of junior and senior players, you’re probably not very good,” Peterson said. “So I think there’ll be significant changes.”

I wonder if he bothered to talk to his basketball coach before he put that one out there. Talk about your slight disconnects :eek::whistle:

Deleted member 2897

Peterson quote from the article

“One of the challenges is, if you’re playing a lot of junior and senior players, you’re probably not very good,” Peterson said. “So I think there’ll be significant changes.”

I wonder if he bothered to talk to his basketball coach before he put that one out there. Talk about your slight disconnects :eek::whistle:

Exactly, go look at the box score today between Virginia and Duke. Virginia is the #2 team in the entire country. They have played about 8 different players so far today. Not a single one is under 20 years old. Seniors and Juniors everywhere.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, go look at the box score today between Virginia and Duke. Virginia is the #2 team in the entire country. They have played about 8 different players so far today. Not a single one is under 20 years old. Seniors and Juniors everywhere.

Guess that means Peterson is a Duke fan :cautious:

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Kyle Guy is a beast. Think hes gonna have to be a Pg in the league. Or he could be a combo guard 6th man type

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a great game to watch. UVA did an excellent job of hanging in there as Duke made its big run. Then they steadied themselves and really controlled the last 8 min.
Can't believe they missed the front end of 2 one and ones to allow Duke to stay in it. One guy was shooting almost 90% from the line and the other hadn't missed a FT this season.
Holding Duke to 22 pts in a half is ridiculous.

One note about Duke, they are not a great 3-pt shooting team this year. outside of Allen and Trent they don't shoot from range all that well. They rely more on penetrating to the basket and letting their bigs get baskets.

Duke's defense was hit or miss. At times they really got into it and played hard on defense. At other times UVA was able to get whatever shot it wanted.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, another second half loss for the school to the East. Fans there are starting to get restless. Will Fox's support with the important alumni melt if they keep losing.
Outside of Maten they really aren't getting alot of good play. Hammonds has not been very good as a Top 50 FR, 5 pts, 5 rb in conference games 34% FG. I swear FR seem to go to UGA to die. Not many FR no matter how highly rated have put up stats as FR under him. KCP is probably the one big exception.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
That was a great game to watch. UVA did an excellent job of hanging in there as Duke made its big run. Then they steadied themselves and really controlled the last 8 min.
Can't believe they missed the front end of 2 one and ones to allow Duke to stay in it. One guy was shooting almost 90% from the line and the other hadn't missed a FT this season.
Holding Duke to 22 pts in a half is ridiculous.

One note about Duke, they are not a great 3-pt shooting team this year. outside of Allen and Trent they don't shoot from range all that well. They rely more on penetrating to the basket and letting their bigs get baskets.

Duke's defense was hit or miss. At times they really got into it and played hard on defense. At other times UVA was able to get whatever shot it wanted.
Mcconnell can shoot it. I think he should get more p.t