ACC Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That is awful for Grantham, he was their 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder in ACC play. That's a big hit for a team that was looking to get a fairly high NCAA seed and will now have to really work hard to make sure they don't slide too far (similar to ND).

Clemson is an interesting team. It is one that has a ton of experience (and a fair bit of highly regarded former HS players), though alot of it was built through transfers.
Here's their primary players.
Reed - RJr, transfer from Robert Morris
Grantham - SR, came in as a highly ranked FR (Top 100)
Devoe - SR, came in as a 3* FR
Mitchell - RJr,, originally committed to Wake, decommitted when Bzdelik was fired, went to Vandy, transferred after 1 yr to Clemson. Former Top 100 HS player
Thomas - Jr, transfer from Texas A&M, former Top 50 HS prospect
Donnal - Grad - transfer from MI, high 3* kid in HS
Skarra - RJr - transfer from Valpo after Drew took the job at Vandy

Those 7 have played 95% of Clemson's min in ACC Games and none is younger than a JR. 5 of the 7 transferred in from somewhere else.
FWIW, I think there is almost no way Clemson will get rid of Brownell this year after the season they were having. If they don't lose any of the RJr they should be solid again next season. If any of them move on though, it becomes a really different matter.

I imagine 4* FR Aamir Simms is going to see his time increase

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That is awful for Grantham, he was their 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder in ACC play. That's a big hit for a team that was looking to get a fairly high NCAA seed and will now have to really work hard to make sure they don't slide too far (similar to ND).

Clemson is an interesting team. It is one that has a ton of experience (and a fair bit of highly regarded former HS players), though alot of it was built through transfers.
Here's their primary players.
Reed - RJr, transfer from Robert Morris
Grantham - SR, came in as a highly ranked FR (Top 100)
Devoe - SR, came in as a 3* FR
Mitchell - RJr,, originally committed to Wake, decommitted when Bzdelik was fired, went to Vandy, transferred after 1 yr to Clemson. Former Top 100 HS player
Thomas - Jr, transfer from Texas A&M, former Top 50 HS prospect
Donnal - Grad - transfer from MI, high 3* kid in HS
Skarra - RJr - transfer from Valpo after Drew took the job at Vandy

Those 7 have played 95% of Clemson's min in ACC Games and none is younger than a JR. 5 of the 7 transferred in from somewhere else.
FWIW, I think there is almost no way Clemson will get rid of Brownell this year after the season they were having. If they don't lose any of the RJr they should be solid again next season. If any of them move on though, it becomes a really different matter.

I imagine 4* FR Aamir Simms is going to see his time increase

Simms played well yesterday after Grantham left. Not sure he can maintain a high level of play over a 25-30 minute span

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like Skara and Simms are likely to get most of the min.
Clemson is a big three point shooting team and Grantham was a part of that. Brings them to 3 shooters instead of 4. Their inside game is pretty suspect.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thought this was a nice article on the conferences in basketball and how they compare to each other. SEC is interesting this year. As one analyst put it, it may be the most middle heavy conference in the country. Alot of solid teams stuck in the middle with not really any great teams and not alot of really bad ones. Could get anywhere from 5 to 8 bids just depending upon how things shake out.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tball-conference-power-rankings-according-bpi

Not a bad idea to keep an eye on the team to our east. If they fall short of making the NCAA then it is possible a coaching change could happen.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="RamblinRed, post: 394160, member: 1776]
Not a bad idea to keep an eye on the team to our east. If they fall short of making the NCAA then it is possible a coaching change could happen.[/QUOTE]
I thought they only noticed basketball when they got caught doing something embarrassing in that sport like giving out fake tests.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I thought they only noticed basketball when they got caught doing something embarrassing in that sport like giving out fake tests.
Hey! That was a real test...some people don't know how many points a three-point shot is worth, and they probably had to study really hard, for minutes and minutes, to be ready for that final exam!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Going on the road with two days rest is a *****. UNC was up by six with five minutes to go in the 1st half when VT outscored UNC 13-2 to close the half ahead by seven. UNC was down eight with five minutes to go in the game and VT extended the lead to 16 with just over a minute too play.

I predicted UNC would try to run our legs off and that's what happened to us. We were outscored 15-4 in the final six minutes of the first half. Then they outscored us 12-7 in the final five minutes (with a lot of subs) of the game. I actually think we match up with UNC pretty well, but the schedule put us in a deep hole.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UVa just held Clemson to 36 points, despite shooting 50% from the field.

Both teams combined for 12 Free Throws.
I switched to the KU-Oklahoma game. The Sooners deployed an interesting defense late in the game. They fouled Azubuike four consecutive trips down the floor. He missed six straight FTs. It destroyed KU's rhythm and Oklahoma was hitting free throws and treys on the other end. It was a wild game and my first time seeing Trae Young. The Hawks need to draft him.