ACC Discussion 2022

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Mods...I didn't see a bowl thread so thought I'd go here...

The Gophers have been matched up with The Orange from NY in the Pinstripe Bowl for this year. Does Tech have any particular animus toward Syracuse or are they just another team in the Conference that must be dealt with?

For us Indiana is a team that we don't play often and really don't have much of a grudge one way or the other. Michigan State is another that we want to beat but really for the W and not too much else.

Just wondering if there's any rivalry between the two programs? Syracuse fans at an Orange fansite seem pretty engaged like you guys, which is good to see. Inquiring Gopher...Merry Christmas. Billd.

slugboy

Staff member
Mods...I didn't see a bowl thread so thought I'd go here...

The Gophers have been matched up with The Orange from NY in the Pinstripe Bowl for this year. Does Tech have any particular animus toward Syracuse or are they just another team in the Conference that must be dealt with?

For us Indiana is a team that we don't play often and really don't have much of a grudge one way or the other. Michigan State is another that we want to beat but really for the W and not too much else.

Just wondering if there's any rivalry between the two programs? Syracuse fans at an Orange fansite seem pretty engaged like you guys, which is good to see. Inquiring Gopher...Merry Christmas. Billd.
No animus in football. They are “a conference opponent”

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@BilldGopher ....bowl game? Nice low key subtle brag there pal! ;) That beatdown y'all put on us in our last one has made us scared to go back to one.

As an answer to your question, I don't think anyone pays them any attention whatsoever given their geophraphic location and being in the other idvision. Same sort of nuetral vibe from BC. Frankly, outside of FSU, Clemson and maybe VT and Duke, I don't think we have any animosity or strong feelings about any other team in the conference. Sure, we want to win them all but in terms of "big games" or "rivalries" there isn't much in our conference outside of the ones I just named. perhaps others will feel differently.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
@BilldGopher ....bowl game? Nice low key subtle brag there pal! ;) That beatdown y'all put on us in our last one has made us scared to go back to one.

As an answer to your question, I don't think anyone pays them any attention whatsoever given their geophraphic location and being in the other idvision. Same sort of nuetral vibe from BC. Frankly, outside of FSU, Clemson and maybe VT and Duke, I don't think we have any animosity or strong feelings about any other team in the conference. Sure, we want to win them all but in terms of "big games" or "rivalries" there isn't much in our conference outside of the ones I just named. perhaps others will feel differently.
If memory serves, the bigger games back in the 70's-80's were UGA, Auburn, Bama, and ND.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Roman Gabriel is really, really old. I mean he's the same age as my dad, and he's 82. Russell Wilson and Rivers were the 1-3/4 I was thinking of.
So of Wilson and Rivers, which is only 3/4? One has thrown for 40k+ and a won a Super Bowl and the other had 63k yards (#6 all-time). Pretty dang good on both parts.

Also, one more to add to the NCState list: Jacoby Brissett is still playing and has done a few things - 3 decent years out of 7, though not at the same clip as the others have mentioned.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So of Wilson and Rivers, which is only 3/4? One has thrown for 40k+ and a won a Super Bowl and the other had 63k yards (#6 all-time). Pretty dang good on both parts.

Also, one more to add to the NCState list: Jacoby Brissett is still playing and has done a few things - 3 decent years out of 7, though not at the same clip as the others have mentioned.
Didn't Russell Wilson transfer somewhere for his last year...Wisconsin maybe?

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd add in Tennessee.
Thanks for the background. We too care more about teams in The West Division versus the East Division. Syracuse has had some good teams so we're not going to look past them.

As an aside when Nebraska joined the B1G it was a deal for both Minnesota and Nebbie because we have a historic "rivalry" going back to the 1920s-30s that was one-sided to Minnesota up to 1967 and then one-sided to Nebraska from then to when they joined the conference. It was natural for them to join the West and we have really evened it out and now are dominating as The Big Red Slide began after Tom Osbourne retired. We take great satisfaction in beating them nowadays as they beat the snot out of us routinely in the 70s, 80s, and into the 90s.

The Pinstripe Bowl is not ideal but we're not complaining. Merry Christmas.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NCST can claim Rivers, Wilson, Brissett, & Mike Glennon
I wondered when Glennon would be mentioned. He was the reason Wilson transferred since Wilson wanted to play minor league baseball rather than spring FB practice. He was told if he missed spring practice, Glennon would be the starter in the fall. Glennon threatened to transfer if Wilson was allowed to miss spring practice and remain the starter. So Wilson transfers and has a good year at Wisconsin. State fans are still not happy the way it all played out.