ACC Discussion 2022

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So of Wilson and Rivers, which is only 3/4? One has thrown for 40k+ and a won a Super Bowl and the other had 63k yards (#6 all-time). Pretty dang good on both parts.

Also, one more to add to the NCState list: Jacoby Brissett is still playing and has done a few things - 3 decent years out of 7, though not at the same clip as the others have mentioned.
Wilson finished at Wisconsin. Played 3 years at NC State and 1 year in Madison, hence, 3/4 NC State.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the background. We too care more about teams in The West Division versus the East Division. Syracuse has had some good teams so we're not going to look past them.

As an aside when Nebraska joined the B1G it was a deal for both Minnesota and Nebbie because we have a historic "rivalry" going back to the 1920s-30s that was one-sided to Minnesota up to 1967 and then one-sided to Nebraska from then to when they joined the conference. It was natural for them to join the West and we have really evened it out and now are dominating as The Big Red Slide began after Tom Osbourne retired. We take great satisfaction in beating them nowadays as they beat the snot out of us routinely in the 70s, 80s, and into the 90s.

The Pinstripe Bowl is not ideal but we're not complaining. Merry Christmas.

As the husband to a Husker, I can also point out - y'all have the best trophy in all of college football (and one of the few genuine trophies in the Big 10 these days). :) One of my favorite parts of the college football season.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
As the husband to a Husker, I can also point out - y'all have the best trophy in all of college football (and one of the few genuine trophies in the Big 10 these days). :) One of my favorite parts of the college football season.
Thanks TG. It's a fun, light-hearted trophy that has a good charitable cause behind it too.

We went to Lincoln this year and got a picture with The Broken Chair enjoying an adult beverage literally at the front gate of Memorial Stadium. To say that the alcohol consumption policy at the stadium is non-existent is an overstatement. I think even the security staff were drinking too...

Anywho, tough times for Big Red so be extra nice to your sweetie. Like Tech they've now got hope again with a new regime at Nebbie coming in. I for one will root for Tech to rise first and faster...for fun and strictly Gopher personal reasons. Merry Christmas.

P.S. We think The Pig and The Axe are pretty awesome too...

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks TG. It's a fun, light-hearted trophy that has a good charitable cause behind it too.

We went to Lincoln this year and got a picture with The Broken Chair enjoying an adult beverage literally at the front gate of Memorial Stadium. To say that the alcohol consumption policy at the stadium is non-existent is an overstatement. I think even the security staff were drinking too...

Anywho, tough times for Big Red so be extra nice to your sweetie. Like Tech they've now got hope again with a new regime at Nebbie coming in. I for one will root for Tech to rise first and faster...for fun and strictly Gopher personal reasons. Merry Christmas.

P.S. We think The Pig and The Axe are pretty awesome too...
Agreed! The Pig and the Axe are two of the other genuine Big 10 trophies. Seems like they started with the teams, and grew out of those rivalries.

I’ll never understand manufacturing a trophy for a game just because your conference says “there has to be a trophy, and here’s what we’re going to call it, and here’s what it represents.” The best trophies start with the teams, the students, or the fans.

Funny thing is, Nebraska and GT have been tied to similar fates since my wife and I started dating 11 years ago. When one has a good year, so seemingly does another one. When one goes off the rails, so does the other one.

As to your other comment, the past few years, it actually mostly mirrors on a weekly basis. If Tech plays first and has a bad game, we’re prepared for Nebraska to do the same. And vice versa.

I’m of course hopeful that we both return to excellence, and that the parallel paths continue - but If given the choice, I’m naturally gonna pull for the Jackets. 🙂

FWIW, still love PJ Fleck and what he’s done with your program. Glad to see y’all keeping on rowing the boat!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Oregon - UNC game last night was the best college football game of the year. What an ending! UNC was the first bowl loser from the state of NC this year. NC State has the final game with a local team, but NC has looked pretty good this year.

But, my biggest question is about another game. Why did Kansas bench Jalon Daniels on that last 2-point conversion? The guy was their entire offense.

slugboy

Staff member
The Oregon - UNC game last night was the best college football game of the year. What an ending! UNC was the first bowl loser from the state of NC this year. NC State has the final game with a local team, but NC has looked pretty good this year.

But, my biggest question is about another game. Why did Kansas bench Jalon Daniels on that last 2-point conversion? The guy was their entire offense.
The Kansas-Arkansas game was drunk. At least, the tail end that I caught was nutty.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

UNC may have had the worst season ending ever. Going from 9-1 as a darkhorse playoff team and second 10 win season this millennium to losing as a heavy favorite to us, then losing to their instate rival, getting blownout in ACC champ game and now losing the bowl game when they had a double digit lead in last few mins. Talk about going from a peak to a valley quickly.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
That's what happens when you have an old man as your head coach. An organization will reflect the personality of the head.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC may have had the worst season ending ever. Going from 9-1 as a darkhorse playoff team and second 10 win season this millennium to losing as a heavy favorite to us, then losing to their instate rival, getting blownout in ACC champ game and now losing the bowl game when they had a double digit lead in last few mins. Talk about going from a peak to a valley quickly.
Regression to the mean. They weren't 9-1 good. CFB is great that way.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
Ole Miss tried their hardest to give UNC a run for their money. Didn't play in a conference championship, but still the implosion at the end of the season is similar.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Check out UVa in 1990.

slugboy

Staff member
Excellent example of another collapse. When we played them in Charlottesville they were undefeated (7-0) and ranked #1. After losing to us they lost 3 of their next 4.
Their QB, Shawn Moore, got injured after playing us. He was a Heisman contender, and possibly the favorite, before us. He came back in the bowl game, but he wasn't the same player.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I have ZERO respect for unc for their FAKE dept that they paid no penalty for that I know about. So let them stew in losses now.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was just at the Orange bowl between Clemson and Tennessee (family are Vols fans) and Clemson, even with Klubnik, looks very beatable. Gives me hope for their game next year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Louisville 24 Cincinnati 7
Wake Forest 27 Missouri 17
Oregon 28 North Carolina 27
Duke 30 UCF 13
FSU 35 Oklahoma 32
Minnesota 28 Syracuse 20
Tennessee 31 Clemson 14
Pitt 37 UCLA 35
Maryland 16 NC State 12

I am not sure what to think of this bowl season. The ACC lost to both B1G teams even though neither was ever a factor in the B1G. We split with the SEC and PAC-12, but the SEC team we beat now has a losing record. We own the Big 12. And, just think, we were one win from playing in a bowl game ourselves.

Happy New Year Swarmers!

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Was just at the Orange bowl between Clemson and Tennessee (family are Vols fans) and Clemson, even with Klubnik, looks very beatable. Gives me hope for their game next year.
Chatter on twitter this morning is that the "Dabo Era" is over. Probably more than a little over-reaction. Klubnik played like a freshman starting his first game and the O-line was pretty porous. The ESPN crew were commenting that the play calling was odd - kept going back to the pass when the run was working. Given the off season, may play like a different team next fall.

A sample...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Chatter on twitter this morning is that the "Dabo Era" is over. Probably more than a little over-reaction. Klubnik played like a freshman starting his first game and the O-line was pretty porous. The ESPN crew were commenting that the play calling was odd - kept going back to the pass when the run was working. Given the off season, may play like a different team next fall.

A sample...

The acc is weak.

slugboy

Staff member

A sample...

I don’t think anyone expects staff changes, but his defense is top 10 while his offense is middle of the road.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think anyone expects staff changes, but his defense is top 10 while his offense is middle of the road.
QB struggles will do that to you. Klubnik clearly wasn't ready for that stage. I guess Dabo stayed with DJ too long. Play calling was a head-scratcher tho' - McElroy picked up that an empty set would trigger a Tennessee safety blitz every time. Klubnik couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough and would end up on his back.