ACC Discussion 2020

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
5 wins or more would be a great job by this staff and the players. We are picked last for a reason guys.

The experts only watched the Virginia Tech and The Citadel. They missed the Jekyll - Hyde act the Jackets put on display with Virginia and Miami. Even for a team that has been historically up and down as Georgia Tech it was surreal that the same team that lost to The Citadel manages to beat NC State and Miami. We actually looked like a pretty good team against Virginia. That said, I am sticking with my prediction of three wins assuming we play eleven.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I won't be as that is about what I expect but who knows with all the COVID stuff? More people might "opt" out. What if a coach decided to "opt" out? We may not even play 5 games much less 11. To lose even one lineman now would be catastrophic.
This is a good point. If we lose most or all of a position group do we play on or cancel games or simply bang the season? I think it depends on how far in we get. Early, I think we cancel games hoping to get back on track. I am not so sure in October if that makes sense. It would not be surprising to see the schedule develop some gaps as we move forward.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We should have the 7th most talented roster in the conference (247 composite ratings) behind Clemson, FSU, ND, Miami, VPI, and UNC. Only 4 teams (I believe) in the last 5 seasons have finished below .500 in the ACC with average roster talent above 85.0. We’ll be around 85.8 this year.
Posting for others to see what you're referencing: https://247sports.com/Team/Georgia-Tech-9/Roster/

Good data point. The first question that jumped in my head when I saw your post was "how many of those are freshmen"?

Here our top 20:
  1. Antonneous Clayton... no game reps in GT's system... resuming play after a full year off
  2. Jahmyr Gibbs... no game reps in GT's system
  3. Derrik Allen... no game reps in GT's system
  4. Myles Sims... played last year
  5. Bruce Jordan-Swilling... no game reps at current position in GT's system
  6. Jeff Sims... no game reps in GT's system
  7. Miles Brooks... no game reps in GT's system
  8. Ryan Johnson... no game reps in GT's system
  9. Jaylon King... played last year
  10. James Graham... played last year
  11. Jared Ivey... no game reps in GT's system
  12. Marquez Ezzard... no game reps in GT's system
  13. Jamious Griffin... played last year
  14. Bryce Gowdy... RIP
  15. Nate McCollum... no game reps in GT's system
  16. Khatavian Franks... no game reps in GT's system
  17. Ryan King... no game reps in GT's system
  18. Tre Swilling... played last year
  19. Justice Dingle... played last year
  20. Michael Rankins... no game reps in GT's system

Our top talent is not just a skew toward freshmen. It's a skew toward players who don't have a single live game rep at their position for GT. Literally only 6 of our top 20 have played in a game at their current position at GT. Concede BJS, that makes 7.

Said another way, you could argue by the same data point that we're destined for the exception category (one of those teams that ends below .500) rather than the rule. Experience and college-readiness is a hurdle for the talent to play to its full potential.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UNC making cuts in athletic staff salaries. Paper mentioned an estimated $30M shortfall. Amount of cut depends on the salary range. Mack and Roy should still be okay with their millions. They have a huge athletic program to support with lots of women's programs and non revenue sports. Mike Fox has announced he is retiring. Probably after this season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is really interesting data. Clemson and VT dominated the LOS against us and their DLine made a ton of tackles. A reflection of what we have been saying here all week. Our OL on the field was simply not ACC ready. It has to be improved this year. And our safeties are making too many stops. Not so good.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Posting for others to see what you're referencing: https://247sports.com/Team/Georgia-Tech-9/Roster/

Good data point. The first question that jumped in my head when I saw your post was "how many of those are freshmen"?

Here our top 20:
  1. Antonneous Clayton... no game reps in GT's system... resuming play after a full year off
  14. Bryce Gowdy... RIP

Our top talent is not just a skew toward freshmen. It's a skew toward players who don't have a single live game rep at their position for GT. Literally only 6 of our top 20 have played in a game at their current position at GT. Concede BJS, that makes 7.

Said another way, you could argue by the same data point that we're destined for the exception category (one of those teams that ends below .500) rather than the rule. Experience and college-readiness is a hurdle for the talent to play to its full potential.

I think the more logical conclusion from that data is that we are significantly more talented than last year which should make us significantly better than last year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think the more logical conclusion from that data is that we are significantly more talented than last year which should make us significantly better than last year.
I think that's correct, even just with the premise of all the returning production we have, complemented by the new pieces.

But I wouldn't want to assume a ton of new pieces, albeit talented, are going to broadly make an impact year 1. Even our 2007 recruiting class didn't do that. So take my comment as more of a hedge to not take overall talent at face value. Certainly a reason to be bullishly optimistic about the future when the talent is seasoned.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

Here our top 20:
  14. Bryce Gowdy... RIP

While that is true, Clayton, Ezzard, and Allen have been with the team for a while so the lack of GT game reps isn’t as impactful as some of our freshman. Unfortunately for Allen, our safety starters are solid although I’m looking forward to seeing him play. Johnson came in early and had significant time to gel with the line which will pay dividends. Clayton is a 4-year college football player so he should be just fine.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We’re significantly more talented & won 3 last year with all the confusion and not know what we were trying to do. Honestly, chuck out the Citadel disaster and it should have been 4 wins even with some skeptical coaching & if we were organized it should have been 5 wins. To think some believe we’re not a 5 win team at a minimum is very odd. Do they think we have a staff that does less with more? That would certainly be a big change for GT, a massive change. I’m sticking with 6-5 minimum, we’re better than last year. We’re at least 1 game better than we should have been last year. We’re running a better scheme with better players, right? The naysayers appear to be mystified. I think it’s pretty clear.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m okay with the low expectations but I don’t see enough evidence that would suggest a downward trajectory to last place. I see a real possibility of 6-6 if a fair portion of our freshmen play and no devastating injuries. We got killed last year with injuries.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We’re significantly more talented & won 3 last year with all the confusion and not know what we were trying to do. Honestly, chuck out the Citadel disaster and it should have been 4 wins even with some skeptical coaching & if we were organized it should have been 5 wins. To think some believe we’re not a 5 win team at a minimum is very odd. Do they think we have a staff that does less with more? That would certainly be a big change for GT, a massive change. I’m sticking with 6-5 minimum, we’re better than last year. We’re at least 1 game better than we should have been last year. We’re running a better scheme with better players, right? The naysayers appear to be mystified. I think it’s pretty clear.
Well, to be fair, if you throw out The Citadel loss I think you have to throw out the Miami win. UM literally handed us that game. They missed 3 field goals that would have ended the game, and the game ended on a controversial 4th down spot.

I think 3-9 is representative of the season GT had as a whole. Sure, there could’ve been 4 or maybe 5 wins. But in all actuality, the team was 2 controversial ball spots from being 1-11. On top of getting lucky and playing NC State after they had their insane injury trouble. Last year’s team could’ve just as easily (probably easier) went 0-12 or 1-11 as they could 4-8 or 5-7. Now, we all know that we had as much injury trouble as anybody, but that happens in football, as seen at NC State.

Setting expectations at 6-5 is a dangerous game. We still barely have over a year of game and practice experience in the new offensive scheme. That would be a big deal in a normal coaching shift, much less what’s being asked of Tech’s personnel. I’m still only confident in 3 wins, but think 4 is well within reach, and that’s how many wins I voted for in the poll.

The 2 biggest factors that I see in Tech getting above my personal 4 win plateau are: returning experience, and new faces (both transfers and freshmen). Not only is Tech returning the most starters in the country, the new faces will be among the most impactful in the conference IMO. Clayton and Gibbs are the obvious 2, but you also have Ezzard and Johnson, along with the freshmen QBs (+Yates who would also be considered a new face). I made a point in an earlier comment on a different thread that Tech’s returning production would be magnified even more this year because of lack of practice time. Plugging in a new guy with this little time can make a transition difficult. I’m eager to get the season underway, because I think it’s absolutely within the realm of possibility to rattle off 5+ wins, but I won’t hold my breath about it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Here our top 20:
  14. Bryce Gowdy... RIP

I am assuming that these are in order, more or less, regardless of position. Pretty daunting task considering we had no spring practice. Well, most teams did not have a spring practice either so we will see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

It should have been five wins but it was not. I will stay with my three win prediction until I see a better team than what we had last year. Sure, we should be better, but a lot of teams say that at the beginning of the season. Proof is in the pudding starting next Saturday against FSU. Any season we beat either FSU or Miami is all right in my book so last year beating Duh U more than made up for The Citadel. To be honest, I thought the game we played the best was in a losing effort against Virginia.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair, if you throw out The Citadel loss I think you have to throw out the Miami win. UM literally handed us that game. They missed 3 field goals that would have ended the game, and the game ended on a controversial 4th down spot.

I think 3-9 is representative of the season GT had as a whole. Sure, there could’ve been 4 or maybe 5 wins. But in all actuality, the team was 2 controversial ball spots from being 1-11. On top of getting lucky and playing NC State after they had their insane injury trouble. Last year’s team could’ve just as easily (probably easier) went 0-12 or 1-11 as they could 4-8 or 5-7. Now, we all know that we had as much injury trouble as anybody, but that happens in football, as seen at NC State.

Setting expectations at 6-5 is a dangerous game. We still barely have over a year of game and practice experience in the new offensive scheme. That would be a big deal in a normal coaching shift, much less what’s being asked of Tech’s personnel. I’m still only confident in 3 wins, but think 4 is well within reach, and that’s how many wins I voted for in the poll.

The 2 biggest factors that I see in Tech getting above my personal 4 win plateau are: returning experience, and new faces (both transfers and freshmen). Not only is Tech returning the most starters in the country, the new faces will be among the most impactful in the conference IMO. Clayton and Gibbs are the obvious 2, but you also have Ezzard and Johnson, along with the freshmen QBs (+Yates who would also be considered a new face). I made a point in an earlier comment on a different thread that Tech’s returning production would be magnified even more this year because of lack of practice time. Plugging in a new guy with this little time can make a transition difficult. I’m eager to get the season underway, because I think it’s absolutely within the realm of possibility to rattle off 5+ wins, but I won’t hold my breath about it.

Maybe YOU or some others will "throw out" beating Miami but not me. Doing that is close, very close, to beating UGA. Beating FSU is maybe a notch below. Different strokes for different folks. Some people get their jollies from the Jackets beating UNC or Duke, others are thrilled with winning "The Battle of the Techs" or spanking Cav Man but not me.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maybe YOU or some others will "throw out" beating Miami but not me. Doing that is close, very close, to beating UGA. Beating FSU is maybe a notch below. Different strokes for different folks. Some people get their jollies from the Jackets beating UNC or Duke, others are thrilled with winning "The Battle of the Techs" or spanking Cav Man but not me.
I wasn’t the one who originally suggested “throwing out” games. I think the concept is silly. I was simply responding to the suggestion about throwing out the Citadel game as a “woulda, shoulda, coulda” win, but if you do that, you have to do the same thing with Miami.

I completely agree that the UM game was a huge win, and in some ways “saved” the season last year. But that 2019 Miami win is nowhere close to beating UGA. I would say the 2019 UM game isn’t even close to the 2018 UM win. I’m not sure on what world squeaking a win out vs. a team that lost to Duke, FIU, LA Tech, and a 5 point win vs. Central Michigan is close to beating UGA, but I’d like to request a transfer to that world.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
All of those things thrill the hell outta me!

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want to nitpick this here because this wasn't that controversial, in my opinion it was pretty clear that the Miami player went down and the ball was well short of the first down marker. We got lucky they missed some field goals, but our kicking game sucked last year too, by that logic we should have beat Pitt and UVA. We won the Miami game fair and square, we out played and smarted them. That fake punt pass for a 50 yard TD was one of the most amazing plays I have seen since I started rooting for GT 11 years ago, Miami took us lightly and we showed them the error of their ways.