ACC Discussion 2020

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
There’s no way we finish last. If we don’t win more than 3-4 games, then we REALLY have some problems.
The media isn’t taking into account we rank 1st in returning production, nor do they realize we have several promising transfers who will be eligible this year. Although unproven, they really don’t know about dudes like Gibbs and Sims, nor do they care. They really don’t. All they understand is 3-9, home loss to The Citadel, etc.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
There’s no way we finish last. If we don’t win more than 3-4 games, then we REALLY have some problems.
The media isn’t taking into account we rank 1st in returning production, nor do they realize we have several promising transfers who will be eligible this year. Although unproven, they really don’t know about dudes like Gibbs and Sims, nor do they care. They really don’t. All they understand is 3-9, home loss to The Citadel, etc.
Agreed - I don't mind seeing the national writers take that position, IIWII until we prove otherwise. I am also not surprised to see some of the AJC or The Athletic beat writers picking us closer to 5/6 games. We gotta prove we are better than last year's performance (I just believe we will be).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To state the obvious... We may improve. But other teams have been trying to do the same and with a head start, save for maybe Florida State and any other coaching transitions.

Can others shed light on why we won't be last by making the case for which teams we will finish ahead of and why i.e., what do you know about those teams and why will we pass them this year? Is it that team's schedule, loss of talent, a coaching advantage, etc? This isn't to challenge everyone's assertion, rather an acknowledgement that we don't win in a vacuum and I'm interested in info about our opponents and the league at large.

A few days ago I tried to find "lost games due to injury" for 2019 with no luck. Obviously that's a big factor for us, but it might also be a factor for other squads as well e.g., NC State last year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I don't see why Syracuse and BC should be projected better than us simply looking at rosters, returning experience, and last year's results if you adjust for schedule. We are further ahead than just those things in my estimation, but I think putting us last is just lazy.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I can’t understand the excuse that we should be bottom of the pack. If CPJ, or any other coach was here, less than 8 wins would be a lousy season. Heck Chan got fired and I think his worst season was 6 or 7 wins. One bad season, maybe. Less than 6 is going to be tough to swallow. And I suffered through the worst of Carson, Fulcher, Pepper, Curry, BL, Ross, O’Leary, CPJ, and one or two I may have forgotten.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I can’t understand the excuse that we should be bottom of the pack. If CPJ, or any other coach was here, less than 8 wins would be a lousy season. Heck Chan got fired and I think his worst season was 6 or 7 wins. One bad season, maybe. Less than 6 is going to be tough to swallow. And I suffered through the worst of Carson, Fulcher, Pepper, Curry, BL, Ross, O’Leary, CPJ, and one or two I may have forgotten.
Chan was fired because he couldn't beat UGA.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
The way I look at it is, our worst season with CPJ was 3-9 and last year under Collins we went 3-9, and that was in a transition year with injuries. So to me we can only go up and likely will win more games.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I can’t understand the excuse that we should be bottom of the pack

At this point if you don't understand then you don't want to. It was explained ad nausium last year before the season why were likely to struggle and several people just didn't want it to be the case so they chose not to understand. We should get some relief from the issues but we still have big questions about our OL, QB, WR, and front 7 on defense. We're in a better position than last year to answer those questions, but many people take a "prove it" take, especially when it's not a team they root for, and we haven't proved it at any of those positions.

We could be better, but there is also a very real possibility that issues like our line play are a matter of not having the pieces we need, and that's not something that gets fixed in one year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need to have significant OL improvement -which I expect- and a MUCH better quarterback in short to medium passing reads. There were often problems with the read option and the RB had nowhere to run with the handoff. We were in third and long way too many times last year. I sure hope Collins is bothered by being one of the worst offenses in the country last year because a lot of GT fans sure are. We need a breakout QB. If we have anywhere near the same problems as last year then time to look at the staff.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
We need to have significant OL improvement -which I expect- and a MUCH better quarterback in short to medium passing reads. There were often problems with the read option and the RB had nowhere to run with the handoff. We were in third and long way too many times last year. I sure hope Collins is bothered by being one of the worst offenses in the country last year because a lot of GT fans sure are. We need a breakout QB. If we have anywhere near the same problems as last year then time to look at the staff.
We need our next Joe Hamilton!

Scubapro

Banned
Chan always had a six or seven win season...yep...but his teams never got any better week over week. The team you saw on opening day was what you were gonna get throughout the season...no innovation...no in game adjustments...luke warm results at best.
I only started suffering with Curry and his pal Rip Schere. Rip is to Curry as Dave is to Collins. Lace up your shoes and hold on bc our frustration is long from over with this staff on game days.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
The way I look at it is, our worst season with CPJ was 3-9 and last year under Collins we went 3-9, and that was in a transition year with injuries. So to me we can only go up and likely will win more games.
Completely agree, but I will say that CPJ's 3-9 was a little bit more impressive because of the FSU game and that we only lost to ugag by 6.

slugboy

Staff member
I think if there's a team in the ACC that needed Spring practice (and more practice) the most, it was us. I'm hopeful against FSU, but we need the reps.
In a lot of ways, this year might be a harder coaching year than last, and last year wasn't easy at all. We've gotten a real year of recruiting and S&C in, and that's fantastic, but we haven't been able to have the full speed reps that our players need to learn.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Chan always had a six or seven win season...yep...but his teams never got any better week over week. The team you saw on opening day was what you were gonna get throughout the season...no innovation...no in game adjustments...luke warm results at best.
I only started suffering with Curry and his pal Rip Schere. Rip is to Curry as Dave is to Collins. Lace up your shoes and hold on bc our frustration is long from over with this staff on game days.
Chan Gailey went 7-6, 7-6, 7-5, 7-5, 9-5, 7-5 at Georgia Tech.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow

It wasn't just in season, year after year we had the same issues on offense that never improved. Kind of the opposite of CPJ where the team could have improved significantly if some defensive issues were fixed but it never seemed to happen.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think if there's a team in the ACC that needed Spring practice (and more practice) the most, it was us. I'm hopeful against FSU, but we need the reps.
In a lot of ways, this year might be a harder coaching year than last, and last year wasn't easy at all. We've gotten a real year of recruiting and S&C in, and that's fantastic, but we haven't been able to have the full speed reps that our players need to learn.

Maybe. I am optimistic that our culture led to more off-season work with our guys especially between the ears. We also have the most returning production in the entire nation. But certainly we are still young and inexperienced within our system.

FSU I think needed it the most with brand new installs everywhere although they are transitioning from a system and technique that is more similar to what the new staff wants to do than we were last year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thread for news about our future opponents and general ACC musings.

I don't know why Duke even bothers. There is always plenty of room there. When I lived in North Carolina I went to see Tech play both Duke and Wake. I had tickets on the 10 yard line or so in the first quarter at Wallace Wade, moved to the 30 at half time by the time the game was over I was nearly at the 50. I was kind of surprised at Wake. Not a huge crowd but they were into the game. The atmosphere was not anything like Duke. Louder, more festive. Beautiful campus.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
To state the obvious... We may improve. But other teams have been trying to do the same and with a head start, save for maybe Florida State and any other coaching transitions.

Can others shed light on why we won't be last by making the case for which teams we will finish ahead of and why i.e., what do you know about those teams and why will we pass them this year? Is it that team's schedule, loss of talent, a coaching advantage, etc? This isn't to challenge everyone's assertion, rather an acknowledgement that we don't win in a vacuum and I'm interested in info about our opponents and the league at large.

A few days ago I tried to find "lost games due to injury" for 2019 with no luck. Obviously that's a big factor for us, but it might also be a factor for other squads as well e.g., NC State last year.

We should have the 7th most talented roster in the conference (247 composite ratings) behind Clemson, FSU, ND, Miami, VPI, and UNC. Only 4 teams (I believe) in the last 5 seasons have finished below .500 in the ACC with average roster talent above 85.0. We’ll be around 85.8 this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The advantage of this prediction is that no one can say they are disappointed in our season if we only win three games.

I won't be as that is about what I expect but who knows with all the COVID stuff? More people might "opt" out. What if a coach decided to "opt" out? We may not even play 5 games much less 11. To lose even one lineman now would be catastrophic.