ACC Discussion 2020

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
My issue with the 2019 GT team was the inconsistency against teams that were not absolutely better than us.. We could look really good for a half, then get blown out in the second half. I know there are legit reasons, but that was frustrating.
What frustrated me is we almost beat Pitt last year. We almost beat UVA who almost beat ND, but then we get shut out by VT? It didn't make any sense. Then we go to Miami and beat them. It really makes me wonder were we actually a good team who was just learning a new system and dealing with bad injuries?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree beating bad teams doesn't make the winner terrible. But when most of your wins are against bad teams, that's an indication that your team is terrible.
I don't think you'll actually agree with what you wrote when you have a chance to think about it.

Otherwise you are suggesting Clemson was terrible last year due to beating these 8 teams.
  • Georgia Tech
  • Syracuse
  • Charlotte
  • Florida State
  • Boston College
  • Wofford
  • NC State
  • South Carolina
Your team is proven "terrible" when you lose to bad teams. Not when you win.

Scubapro

Banned
I agree beating bad teams doesn't make the winner terrible. But when most of your wins are against bad teams, that's an indication that your team is terrible.
I guess we will need a matrix showing the progression from terrible -- God Awful---Bad--MEH--Middling---OK---Good
:)
I have zero idea on what we can expect to see this year...the coaching staff treated last year as a 12 week throw away scrimmage and it showed on the field. If they approach this year the same way then we can expect another God Awful season.
Cuse mentioned poor clock management vs Citadel...Collins should have been past the pressures of managing a game clock last year since it was his third year as a HC.
In short; no one knows what to expect this year with a largely unproven staff and (according to some folks) a roster full of players that couldn't win a High school quarter finals playoff game.
As far as the rest of the ACC; Its Clemson and a bunch of mediocre teams. Who will be the next to step up? My guess would be one of three teams; Syracuse, UNC or Virginia

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you'll actually agree with what you wrote when you have a chance to think about it.

Otherwise you are suggesting Clemson was terrible last year due to beating these 8 teams.
  • Georgia Tech
  • Syracuse
  • Charlotte
  • Florida State
  • Boston College
  • Wofford
  • NC State
  • South Carolina
Your team is proven "terrible" when you lose to bad teams. Not when you win.
I agree with you as you have written this, but that's not what I meant. What I was intending to convey is that when you only beat bad teams, you're also bad (terrible in my vernacular). Clemson also beat many very good teams, so this doesn't apply to them. The only "not bad" team Syracuse beat last year was....eh-hem...Wake Forest, and they weren't good either.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
If we beat FSU first game I think we will be 4-0 going into Clemson. On the optimistic side, with the way our schedule is many of the teams we play I think will overlook us for a team they play after us, so I think we could at best be 9-2. Being pessimistic I think we could finish 6-5, I can't see us being worse than that. If I am being realistic I say we finish 7-4.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you as you have written this, but that's not what I meant. What I was intending to convey is that when you only beat bad teams, you're also bad (terrible in my vernacular). Clemson also beat many very good teams, so this doesn't apply to them. The only "not bad" team Syracuse beat last year was....eh-hem...Wake Forest, and they weren't good either.
Wake finished 8-4 (4-4) regular season, 8-5 overall. I think that was good, but I'm probably caught up on semantics again. Obviously the record is what it is.

I wholeheartedly believe we have more common ground on good vs. not good or whatever shades of gray/semantics we choose, so I'll just bow out/wait to resume in a few weeks when the comparison is relevant. Good news for us is the rumors are that Syracuse's top 2 RB have opted out and they'll likely be missing both starting OG to injury, at a minimum, when we face them. And their OL was AWFUL last year... almost as TERRIBLE as ours :)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wake finished 8-4 (4-4) regular season, 8-5 overall. I think that was good, but I'm probably caught up on semantics again. Obviously the record is what it is.

I wholeheartedly believe we have more common ground on good vs. not good or whatever shades of gray/semantics we choose, so I'll just bow out/wait to resume in a few weeks when the comparison is relevant. Good news for us is the rumors are that Syracuse's top 2 RB have opted out and they'll likely be missing both starting OG to injury, at a minimum, when we face them. And their OL was AWFUL last year... almost as TERRIBLE as ours :)
This is why I don't think anyone is going to be able to predict what is going to happen in any given game. From game to game the rosters might change dramatically. What happens if Clempson loses their entire backfield to CoViD19 for our game? We might win 3-0. 🤣

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

I specifically remember them playing at home against Pitt last year and allowing about 23 sacks. So I agree their ol is terrible

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

We started the season last year knowing we had too few bodies on the OL. Even if we had not fallen victim to injuries, this was going to be position group with less talent and almost no depth. We had three walk-ons in the rotation. Then the injuries hit them. Against South Florida, Tech lost Kenny Cooper (he would return the next week, but would eventually be lost for the season). Then we lost Jahaziel Lee the following week with a broken leg. By this time we had all three walk-ons playing significant minutes, including starting at center. Hopefully we will have better luck this year.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
39709658-5C05-4B09-A42A-A22D826857EB.jpeg

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think we finish last in the ACC. We will probably still finish bottom half but I think with the new additions and experience we will be much better. There is usually a big jump in execution from the first to second year in a new system. Looking forward to seeing how we play.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping for a finish in the middle third of the conference. 5-5 gets there, 4-6 puts us in the bottom third. FWIW, 4-7 is what I voted for in the season outlook poll.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
A few misconceptions to clear up that I keep seeing people say: Wake was GOOD last year, guys. They were ranked at one time and they had a really strong offense- good enough that Jamie Newman going to UGAg was actually a downgrade for him in receivers. Yeah they weren't world beaters, but they were a good team. They lost a ton for this year, though.

ALSO: I keep seeing posters on here gloss over UCF as an automatic win, and I remember around this time last year when other people on here began to think that we would easily handle Temple. Little memo for everyone: Temple tore us to shreds last year. Temple also lost to UCF by 40+ points. They won 10 games in a "down" season and are starting this year ranked, which is not an accident. I fully expect UCF to be better than FSU, and honestly, I think we beat FSU and lose to UCF.