ACC Discussion 2020-21

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree. Also, I want to point out that Mercer, while certainly not Duke or UVA, is 5-0. GSU has lost only to Mercer.

I think we suffered from a well meaning, but faulty, practice decision that has now been corrected. If we end up barely missing the tournament, we should talk about this again. But now is the time to focus forward.

Deleted member 2897

Just browsed through KenPom. We're #75. In the "Luck" column, we're ranked #351. Of course we are, LOL.

Current ACC KenPom rankings (number of times we play them this year):
Duke (2): 7
North Carolina (1): 14
Virginia (2): 17
Florida State (2): 20
Louisville (1): 22
Virginia Tech (1): 26
Clemson (2): 27
NC State (1): 39
Syracuse (1): 40

If the tournament started today, 9 ACC teams would likely get in.

Miami (1): 46
Georgia Tech: 75
Notre Dame (2): 81
Boston College (1): 85
Pittsburgh (1): 90
Wake Forest (2): 123

Of Note:
Kentucky: 36
UAB: 96
Nebraska: 107
Georgia State: 110 (only loss is to Mercer)
Mercer: 146 (they are 5-0 though)
Florida A&M: 319
Delaware State: 352

Assume we go 5-2 OOC.

Assume we lose to anybody inside the top 27 in the ACC, we go 9-11. That won't get it done.

We play 6 teams in the 20s. We're going to need to win some of those obviously. Our OOC resume will be a net negative, even if we win the rest. 11-9 would land us at 16-11. I think that would actually get us in, because our strength of schedule the rest of the way would move our rating way up if we were able to do that.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking across the board the ACC has not had a great start to the season. And at the moment it looks like we’re going to have our worst challenge showing in a while. Luckily GTs win will help the conference out.

slugboy

Staff member
Agree. Also, I want to point out that Mercer, while certainly not Duke or UVA, is 5-0. GSU has lost only to Mercer.

I think we suffered from a well meaning, but faulty, practice decision that has now been corrected. If we end up barely missing the tournament, we should talk about this again. But now is the time to focus forward.
If we were 2-1, with wins over Mercer and State, but a loss to Kentucky, would we feel better or worse about our team right now?

Deleted member 2897

I saw on Twitter that K has lost 8 OOC home games in his Duke career, including two in the past week.

So Duke is an ugly 2-2 and UK is 1-3. The world is upside down.

Kind of like the Big Ten in football where Northwestern and Indiana are having banner years and Penn State and Michigan are in the toilet.

Deleted member 2897

Looking across the board the ACC has not had a great start to the season. And at the moment it looks like we’re going to have our worst challenge showing in a while. Luckily GTs win will help the conference out.

If I can shove away my ACC pride for a minute, the silver for lining I see is that if the ACC is a tad off this year (maybe other people also weren't practicing full go or something), that should increase our chances for having a decent showing in conference play.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If I can shove away my ACC pride for a minute, the silver for lining I see is that if the ACC is a tad off this year (maybe other people also weren't practicing full go or something), that should increase our chances for having a decent showing in conference play.
We need a good showing and a couple of top of the ACC wins to dance this year And I think we have a shot if we play like KY game. What was clear watching Duke and UNC last night is they are not great shooting teams Nor are they great D teams.

They will get better so we have to as well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need a good showing and a couple of top of the ACC wins to dance this year And I think we have a shot if we play like KY game. What was clear watching Duke and UNC last night is they are not great shooting teams Nor are they great D teams.

The B1G looks really strong this year.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

We really need to win the rest of our OOC games. If the ACC is down, a 12-8 record in conference and a 16-11 overall is going to be a tough case for the tournament.

Deleted member 2897

He should tell his players they're opting out as a team and see how they feel about that, LOL. Their odds of adverse health outcomes are about as close to 0 as you can get. It sure is an inconvenience to not be out going to movies as he said or traveling to be with families during the holidays, BUT THAT IS WHAT WE ARE ALL TOLD TO DO. If he cancels his basketball season, they still wouldn't be allowed to go to movies or travel to see family if they follow the rules.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol... after getting wrecked at home and dropping to 2-2. Coach K questions whether the NCAA should continue to allow the basketball season to continue... I'd bet money his tune would be different at 4-0.

slugboy

Staff member
Lol... after getting wrecked at home and dropping to 2-2. Coach K questions whether the NCAA should continue to allow the basketball season to continue... I'd bet money his tune would be different at 4-0.

Even at 4-0, I'm sure he sees less upside in this season than most. However, the tournament may be like a roulette wheel if, say, Gonzaga gets sick and gets cut from the Sweet 16.
My thinking is, if you're a top team left standing, you may have a semi-clear path through the tourney.
OTOH, you might get wiped out by two players testing positive.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

His team played like crap last night, but they are crazy talented. Several of those guys will not be returning to Duke next Fall. I feel the same way about UK. Sometimes it takes a while for these 5* freshmen to come together as a team. I am sure the COVID restrictions affected K's prep for this year.