ACC Discussion 2020-21

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are a hard team to project.

Last year we crapped the bed early, in part due to injuries, with some inexcusable performances mixed in.

Then, when we were healthy, we won a lot of games over the last 15 games. Problem is, only one of those wins was against a NCAAT team. The rest were NIT or worse.

My personal assessment is during the last 15 games we looked like a classic bubble team on the court, ignoring W/L outcomes.

Now mix in our recent past of general inconsistency, and it makes sense to me why the media does not make the leap to surefire NCAAT squad, let alone a Sweet 16 projection.

Cautious optimism for me.
Exactly...if the diehards are uncertain, it doesn’t surprise me to see some in the media doubt us.

GTFLETCH

Banned
After last nights game it is clear to me that Georgia Tech men's basketball will not be doing anything of significance in ACC play.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Moses looked like a NBA player last night. He's the man right now but he needs help. We looked like last year's team but without Banks so basically a 4man team. Pastner now should know where he needs to improve and it's at the center position. Free throws could have won that game in regulation but same could be said for them as well. Lots of fouls called last night. We need to hit 80% of our FT's if we continue to play one on one drives to the hoop. We did not handle their double teams well last night. Got caught down low too often and couldn't or didn't kick it out.

GTFLETCH

Banned
You could’ve said the same thing last year early in the season, and you would’ve been dramatically wrong.
11-9 in ACC play is not good... When you are a bottom feeder program it is....But if you are A decent program going .500 is not good. Man it is sad how the program has been set back with Brian Gregory and Josh Pastner.... I guess I need to thankful for another .500 ACC season...

Deleted member 2897

11-9 in ACC play is not good... When you are a bottom feeder program it is....But if you are A decent program going .500 is not good. Man it is sad how the program has been set back with Brian Gregory and Josh Pastner.... I guess I need to thankful for another .500 ACC season...

Much of that was without our full roster. Just trying to help you soften your extreme negativism.

If it’s that unhealthy, you could always unplug and come back next year to see how we are.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Historically we have not been a program that had a great record in the ACC even when we had very good teams. So I will take 11-9. Way too early to be jumping off the ledge.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
15 3's help you beat UVA
It was a clinic on how to spread out a packline D and make shots

UVA has work to do on their offensive sets

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
15 3's help you beat UVA
It was a clinic on how to spread out a packline D and make shots

UVA has work to do on their offensive sets

Shooting is the great equalizer in basketball and why you don't read too much into any one game. 46 vs 25% shooting from 3 is hard to overcome.

Cuse in a fight with Bryant where shooting is also playing a role.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Shooting is the great equalizer in basketball and why you don't read too much into any one game. 46 vs 25% shooting from 3 is hard to overcome.

Cuse in a fight with Bryant where shooting is also playing a role.
I'm waiting for the game where we shoot well :(

Deleted member 2897

I'm waiting for the game where we shoot well :(

Fun fact, including both FG and FT we missed 80 shots against Georgia State and 35 against Mercer...for a grand total of 115 missed shots through 2 games. :D

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was talking to someone about the ACC basketball season, and this from Gary Parrish hit my inbox:

BREAKING: Today’s game between No. 1 Gonzaga and No. 2 Baylor has been canceled because of COVID-19 issues.

Joint statement from Mark Few/Scott Drew: "We are following the advice of public health officials. ... There are much greater issues ... than not being able to play a basketball game, so we’re going to continue praying for everyone who has been affected by this pandemic."

slugboy

Staff member
I was talking to someone about the ACC basketball season, and this from Gary Parrish hit my inbox:

BREAKING: Today’s game between No. 1 Gonzaga and No. 2 Baylor has been canceled because of COVID-19 issues.

Joint statement from Mark Few/Scott Drew: "We are following the advice of public health officials. ... There are much greater issues ... than not being able to play a basketball game, so we’re going to continue praying for everyone who has been affected by this pandemic."
Saw the same thing, and posted in another thread:

Baylor is out in Waco, and it’s got a population of 144k. From the college literature they’ve sent to my kid, Baylor talks about it as a small town. It’s about halfway between Dallas and Austin, and about 90 minutes from either.
Gonzaga is in Spokane, Washington, east of the Cascade Mountains, with a population of about 220k. It’s probably got more in common with Missoula, Montana than with Seattle (I had friends who lived in Spokane).
Both colleges are at least somewhat off the beaten path. And both are affected here.
Update: It was one Gonzaga player and one staff member that tested positive.

Last edited: