Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
UNC's Rivals recruiting rankings 2015-2019:
2015 4*s- 5, Natl Rk- 28, Coastal Rk- 3
2016 4*s- 7, Natl Rk- 22, Coastal Rk- 1
2017 4*s- 5, Natl Rk- 30, Coastal Rk- 3
2018 4*s- 6, Natl Rk- 23, Coastal Rk- 3
2019 4*s- 3, Natl Rk- 31, Coastal Rk- 2
2019 Season finish- 3 way tie for 3rd in ACC Coastal, #52 ranking by CBS sports, unranked/no votes from AP

Poor Mack. Such a great job with such a bare cupboard:rolleyes:

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Very good coach. Limited recruiter.

Yeah admittedly I had no idea what they did with the 2019 Receuiting class when I made the previous comment. #69 in the nation and #14 in the ACC is what i discovered, to my surprise lol.

Why so bad? Is it his recruiting philosophy or is it because he came from a smaller school and isnt as well known?

I just assumed they had at least a middle of the pack ACC recruiting class.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Limited recruiter.
Doesn't seem to have bothered the teams he's coached much. As a head coach, he's 59 and 29 with three conference championships, 4 wins in 5 bowl trips during 7 years and two conference coach of the year awards (including one this year in the ACC). Given that his App State teams averaged 109th in the 247 "recruiting rankings", I think we can say that the coaching shines through here.

I agree with Kyle. This guy will make everyone up there forget Petrino pretty quickly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah admittedly I had no idea what they did with the 2019 Receuiting class when I made the previous comment. #69 in the nation and #14 in the ACC is what i discovered, to my surprise lol.

Why so bad? Is it his recruiting philosophy or is it because he came from a smaller school and isnt as well known?

They probably will. There's a long way until February and the pressure and poaching will have immense influence on the final results.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

App state and scrambling to get a class after taking over. dunno whats going on with the 2020 class but thats probably why hes been a "bad" recruiter. i remember Louisville having a lot of decommitments after he took over

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't seem to have bothered the teams he's coached much. As a head coach, he's 59 and 29 with three conference championships, 4 wins in 5 bowl trips during 7 years and two conference coach of the year awards (including one this year in the ACC). Given that his App State teams averaged 109th in the 247 "recruiting rankings", I think we can say that the coaching shines through here.

I agree with Kyle. This guy will make everyone up there forget Petrino pretty quickly.

Oh I agree. Very good hire for Louisville. I just think he will run up against a pretty firm ceiling there.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

They are trending to be more middle of the pack this year. I’m just not sure they will be able to rise above that with him at the helm. For example, we were able to go in flip Franks from them with a last minute offer. They lost quite a few guys like that just before signing day.

Doesn’t mean he can’t put together some solid seasons however.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Bama is proving how important retaining top assistant coaches is. They have top level players but the constant turnover with assistants has hurt them recently. It will be interesting to see how long Dabo can keep his.
Dabo has co OC's and Venables as DC. Venables is a head case and is happy coaching Defense and is well treated. And having 2 OC's will help buffer the offense if one leaves. To me Dabo, seems to be well set for the future regarding coordinators.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket