ACC Discussion 2019

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Bye bye diaz

I doubt it, in his first season at 6-7 with the 18th ranked recruiting class in the country. Now if he had been, say, 3-9 with the 23rd ranked class in his first season, it might be a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Until fb is number one in acc, we're going to have this sort of period with a good period thrown in every so often imo.
Gt rising to national prominence helps in so many ways, tv because of our location, revenue to conference. I think the conference knows they need gt to become nationally prominent.

Last edited:

Jmonty71

Banned
Duh U looked terrible. Explains why they lost to us. LA Tech isn't exactly a juggernaut. Pitt looked a little better. Neither team was at the top of their game, needless to say. I do think we will have a chance to beat both these teams, next season.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What's interesting to me is: in the ACC, Tech is the program with the greatest (longest) history of successful football. There's a lot of recency bias in thinking that Da U, FSU and VPISU should be nationally prominent.

They each were good on a national level for 10-20 years... and outside of that, not. FSU and VPISU won their first Bowl games in 1986. Miami had been to two bowls until the 80's and voted on dropping to I-AA in the late 70's. For FSU and VT their runs were basically all under one Hall of Fame coach. Clemson may be going through their golden age now.

Pitt was really good for a spell in the 70's won a Natty, no one is asking when 'the Pitt' is gonna be back. Cuse won one in the 50's. Tech's been good in spurts since football began. I wonder if in 50 years we'll look at Miami, VT and FSU as 'they were good for a bit back in the 1990's'. Kind of like how people view Tech under Dodd.

There's lots of programs that are down(ish) right now that have a lot more legacy to claim than the 'big' ACC schools. Minnesota, USC, the Michigans, Tennessee, Texas... I think it's just as likely that the next ACC school that finds their Bowden/Dodd/Dabo HOF rename-the-stadium coach and goes on a 10 year run is one of the North Carolina schools or Pitt or Tech as it is that VT or FSU will find another one. Or Da U will figure out how to be "Da U" in the modern era with rules and stuff. Just a 'shower thought' after reading this thread.

slugboy

Staff member
What's interesting to me is: in the ACC, Tech is the program with the greatest (longest) history of successful football. There's a lot of recency bias in thinking that Da U, FSU and VPISU should be nationally prominent.

They each were good on a national level for 10-20 years... and outside of that, not. FSU and VPISU won their first Bowl games in 1986. Miami had been to two bowls until the 80's and voted on dropping to I-AA in the late 70's. For FSU and VT their runs were basically all under one Hall of Fame coach. Clemson may be going through their golden age now.

Pitt was really good for a spell in the 70's won a Natty, no one is asking when 'the Pitt' is gonna be back. Cuse won one in the 50's. Tech's been good in spurts since football began. I wonder if in 50 years we'll look at Miami, VT and FSU as 'they were good for a bit back in the 1990's'. Kind of like how people view Tech under Dodd.

There's lots of programs that are down(ish) right now that have a lot more legacy to claim than the 'big' ACC schools. Minnesota, USC, the Michigans, Tennessee, Texas... I think it's just as likely that the next ACC school that finds their Bowden/Dodd/Dabo HOF rename-the-stadium coach and goes on a 10 year run is one of the North Carolina schools or Pitt or Tech as it is that VT or FSU will find another one. Or Da U will figure out how to be "Da U" in the modern era with rules and stuff. Just a 'shower thought' after reading this thread.

FSU won their first bowl game in 1964. They were one game from a perfect season as early as 1979, and were playing all comers in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Bobby Bowden had about 30 years on his own that most schools would trade for in a hot second: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida-state/index.html

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU won their first bowl game in 1964. They were one game from a perfect season as early as 1979, and were playing all comers in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Bobby Bowden had about 30 years on his own that most schools would trade for in a hot second: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida-state/index.html

I think it’s interesting re Bowden and having been given time to develop a program. It rarely happens in this age. Too twitchy fanbases and admins looking for immediate glorification. (whose, though?)

But also reason to sit tight and see what CGC does over next seven years. Along the same line I applaud Falcons for sticking with Quinn and Dimitroff.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You are quite correct. I don't know what I meant to type there. VT won their first bowl in 1986. Bowden was well into his winning by then.