ACC Discussion 2019

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree our melt game is lacking.

On a semi-related note, how overrated is that Tate Martell dude?

Don't know about that, I do know that three hours before the game some wisenheimer hired a plane that flew a banner around the stadium with a message of firing Manny and hiring Butch. Before the game, a cascade of ridicule and scorn after the game...he was the proverbial prodigal son with prescient timing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This speaks volumes about recruiting vs coaching. You really need both to be good. But we’ve seen first hand you can win with superior coaching coupled with below par recruiting if the talent you do have is strategically placed.

We’re about to find out if we can be successful with the exact opposite. Miami can’t do it, neither can FSU.

According to SB Nation's average recruiting rankings from 2014 through 2018 of all 130 college football programs in FBS or whatever they call it now: Selected teams, 2014-2018 rank change since 2009 - 2013

FSU 8th down -7.4
Miami 21st essentially flat
GT 44th down -2.4
Duke 55th essentially flat
UVA 66th up 2.5
UNC 42nd down 3.5
Pitt 36th down 1.3
Temple 60th up 2.7

Program with the biggest loss from 2013 to 2018 of all 130 teams was FSU which slipped more than 7 spots in the rankings. The team with the biggest gain was UAB which went up 6.8 spots. The teams at the top of the rankings were essentially flat from 2009 as they maintained recruiting excellence. Alabama was at the top followed by the usual factory suspects like UGA at number 5. The conference with the biggest fall off was the PAC 10 by far. Personally, the only thing I saw of interest was that most programs were essentially the same from 2009 to 2018. In other words, they neither lost ground or gained ground. The other thing that surprised me was UNC. I am astounded that the Tar Heels were ranked just two spots above us and went down as much as they did 3.5 over the covered period. For Georgia Tech, the goal is clear. Do better than top 40. I don't know enough about recruiting to say if this is feasible but I do know that if we do not get more and better linemen on both sides of the ball it will not matter how many four star receivers, running backs, quarterbacks and defensive backs we get. IMHO

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It sounds like FSU wants to hire Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham
If he’s smart, he’ll stay where he is. He is on the verge of making Utah the best team in the PAC12. If things fall just right, he could end up in the playoffs. Unless F$U is offering a huge pay raise, it’s not worth it to go try to rebuild a program that has to play Clemson and UF every year. He wouldn’t sniff that kind of success at FSU for years if ever.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
There is word going around that FSU is going to talk to Florida Atlantic head football coach Lane Kiffin about the vacant FSU head football coaching job. I think he would be a good hire for FSU and would do good things there.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
According to SB Nation's average recruiting rankings from 2014 through 2018 of all 130 college football programs in FBS or whatever they call it now: Selected teams, 2014-2018 rank change since 2009 - 2013

FSU 8th down -7.4
Miami 21st essentially flat
GT 44th down -2.4
Duke 55th essentially flat
UVA 66th up 2.5
UNC 42nd down 3.5
Pitt 36th down 1.3
Temple 60th up 2.7

Program with the biggest loss from 2013 to 2018 of all 130 teams was FSU which slipped more than 7 spots in the rankings. The team with the biggest gain was UAB which went up 6.8 spots. The teams at the top of the rankings were essentially flat from 2009 as they maintained recruiting excellence. Alabama was at the top followed by the usual factory suspects like UGA at number 5. The conference with the biggest fall off was the PAC 10 by far. Personally, the only thing I saw of interest was that most programs were essentially the same from 2009 to 2018. In other words, they neither lost ground or gained ground. The other thing that surprised me was UNC. I am astounded that the Tar Heels were ranked just two spots above us and went down as much as they did 3.5 over the covered period. For Georgia Tech, the goal is clear. Do better than top 40. I don't know enough about recruiting to say if this is feasible but I do know that if we do not get more and better linemen on both sides of the ball it will not matter how many four star receivers, running backs, quarterbacks and defensive backs we get. IMHO
Great post! It's almost like the schools recruit themselves for the most part. This has been mentioned many times before.

Good sustainable recruiting takes lots of resources, not just people with the reputation of a good recruiter. This is even more true when we talk about linemen.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully transferring Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks will come over to Georgia Tech. Feleipe Franks is a spread option quarterback who would be better than any of the current quarterbacks on Georgia Tech's roster.