ACC Discussion 2019

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I think it will take care of itself.
Virginia (7-3): Plays Liberty this week then Virginia Tech, both at home. Likely finish is 9-3 and Coastal Champion. That will rank them.
There are 3 other Coastal teams with 6 wins who play each other and some other easy opponents mixed in. It is extremely likely that 1 of them will finish at minimum 8-4 and probably a 50/50 chance 1 of them finishes at 9-3 as well. That will rank them.

Despite how everyone likes to crap on the Coastal, we have a good chance at 6 of the 7 of us going to bowl games. Meanwhile, its a disaster in the Atlantic, with only 1 team other than Clemson having a winning record - Wake Forest. Wake doesn't have a single win all year against a team with a winning record, LOL, but they are 7-2. After losing to Clemson this week by 30 points they finish with Duke and Syracuse. So probably a coin flip they go 9-3 too.

Last year, 13 of the 25 ranked teams after week 12 had 3 or more losses...including 4 teams with 4 losses.

If I had to guess what the regular season would end with, I'd say Clemson will be 12-0 and ranked #3. Virginia and 1 other team will be 9-3. Virginia will be ranked just under #20 and the other will be ranked just over #20.

I actually think at VT will finish 9-3 and ranked. Those boys are playing really good ball right now.

Deleted member 2897

I actually think at VT will finish 9-3 and ranked. Those boys are playing really good ball right now.

Yea exactly thats the thing - tons of 6+ win teams who have some easy games and others where they play each other. So the odds are probably 90%+ for example that either Virginia or Virginia Tech finishes 9-3.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Mmmmayybe….if Auburn beats Bama, A&M beats LSU, uga beats LSU in SECCG, and we beat uga??

However unlikely that should be enough to do it....but somehow I feel Bama would wind up in there again.
Exactly. Even in your scenario I don't think the CFP has the backbone to leave out Bama. I also could see them sending UGA in your scenario.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's best win this year is the same as the best win in Charlie Weis' time at Notre Dame, a close loss to a rival.

Looking at who they have played and who they will play, a possible 3 loss Auburn team, no one can say that they are a top team. They haven't played anybody!! A 3 loss TA&M win is the best they got. Pathetic.

If uga loses this weekend, please football Gods please, only LSU should make the playoff. uga's losses will be to a bowl-less usc east and a multiple loss Auburn.

Remember, the playoff is for the best teams, previous years don't matter.

I'd love to see Alabama looking in and knocking on the window while Ohio St, Clemson, Oregon and Oklahoma are playing.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's best win this year is the same as the best win in Charlie Weis' time at Notre Dame, a close loss to a rival.

Looking at who they have played and who they will play, a possible 3 loss Auburn team, no one can say that they are a top team. They haven't played anybody!! A 3 loss TA&M win is the best they got. Pathetic.

If uga loses this weekend, please football Gods please, only LSU should make the playoff. uga's losses will be to a bowl-less usc east and a multiple loss Auburn.

I'd love to see Alabama looking in and knocking on the window while Ohio St, Clemson, Oregon and Oklahoma are playing.
I agree with you.

The problem is the CFP seems to disagree since Bama is currently ranked 5th. I hate this "quality loss" nonsense that has been becoming more popular recently (coincidentally around the same time ESPN began to tie themselves monetarily to the SEC :rolleyes:). Winning should be more important than who you've lost to, and a loss should only be considered a negative.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Fact no matter what happens it is being set up for 2 SEC teams this year.
If they put a second SEC team in and leave out multiple undefeated P5 conference champions, there should be drastic action taken. We all know that there’s effectively a different set of rules for the SEC, but to my knowledge an undefeated P5 conference champion has never been left out. To do that in favor of a 1-loss or 2-loss SEC team is to basically put in writing that everyone else is beneath the SEC and that they only exist as a backup in case there aren’t enough good SEC teams. It would be saying that the SEC can control their own destiny but that everyone else is at the mercy of the SEC, regardless of what they accomplish that year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If they put a second SEC team in and leave out multiple undefeated P5 conference champions, there should be drastic action taken. We all know that there’s effectively a different set of rules for the SEC, but to my knowledge an undefeated P5 conference champion has never been left out. To do that in favor of a 1-loss or 2-loss SEC team is to basically put in writing that everyone else is beneath the SEC and that they only exist as a backup in case there aren’t enough good SEC teams. It would be saying that the SEC can control their own destiny but that everyone else is at the mercy of the SEC, regardless of what they accomplish that year.
Agreed. There still is a good chance that there will not be multiple undefeated p5 champs though. Time will tell. I still wish cfp rankings we released a bit later (maybe even right before conference championships).

Deleted member 2897

LOL, UNC goes to overtime again, at Pitt. They are 4-5 and have lost like 4 games by less than a touchdown.

If they pull this off, odds go way up that 6 Coastal teams finish bowl eligible.

Howell is 26/38 for 314 yards and 3 TDs. Definitely playing like his 4-star top-100 rating.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

That probably is why a committee member explained Alabama's No. 3 ranking two weeks ago ahead of Clemson et al despite a similar SOS as being because "they look so good."

There are two certainties in college football before the first kickoff: Alabama is the NC favorite, and ND is in the top 10. Why? It's a mystery. Sorry, that is a movie line. But it is. Alabama has been scorched for something like 90 points in its last two meaningful games -- Clemson and LSU -- and Notre Dame parlayed a 31-0 shellacking by Clemson in last year's playoffs to a top 10 ranking for much of a mediocre season.

The sad fact is that the committee took one game from Clemson's unbeaten streak, a one-point win over a UNC team that turned out to be a pretty good one with two late losses by a TD, in a game which UNC was primed for and Clemson was clearly outplayed, ignored Alabama's strength of schedule while highlighting Clemson's, and accomplished what it set out to do: ace out the ACC.

I know, I know. I am paranoid. But superimpose the SEC standings over the ACC this week, and there ain't a dime's worth of difference in W-L. It is a conference that can sell soap. And does.

Deleted member 2897

If Miami hadn’t boffed their game against us, we’d have 4 teams in the Coastal at 7-3.

Virginia will beat Liberty to get to 8-3. Pitt and VT play, so 1 of them will get to 8-3.

Virginia and VT play.

Miami plays FIU then Duke.

So we might have 4 8-win teams in the Coastal including 2 9-win teams.

Only 1 team in the Atlantic has a winning record in ACC play. If Pitt can best Boston College and we can beat NC State, or really even if we don’t, the Coastal once again looks much better than the Atlantic.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Ugh, I was channeling my inner Macaulay Culkin but I’ll take my one lashing.

upload_2019-11-23_21-20-23.gif