ACC Discussion 2019-20

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Strangely, still on track for all of these records and finishes, all the way dow the list.

Duke loses to a terrible Wake Forest team and stays #5 on KenPom.
Louisville #13 KenPom.
Florida State #16.
Virginia #48.

I still think that's it for the NCAAT, barring some strange change.

NC State #53.
Notre Dame #56.
Syracuse #59.
Clemson #68.
Georgia Tech #74. (Up from > 100 about a month ago.) . If we run the table our final 3 games, I don't think we break 50. We don't hardly move but like 2 spots when we win.
North Carolina #90.
Wake Forest #93.
Virginia Tech #99.
Miami #107.

Could have like 8 NIT teams.

If ND plays as they should, I think they get in. Syracuse in NIT. We have to win out and win one in the ACC and have the Wolfpack fade to have a shot at the NIT. Tall order.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Has the GTAA sent out request for ACCT tickets? Sometimes offered to non season ticket holders. I don't recall seeing those offered.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Has the GTAA sent out request for ACCT tickets? Sometimes offered to non season ticket holders. I don't recall seeing those offered.

Sent out in November to season ticket holders with a November deadline for requests.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If ND plays as they should, I think they get in. Syracuse in NIT. We have to win out and win one in the ACC and have the Wolfpack fade to have a shot at the NIT. Tall order.

ND absolutely has to beat FSU to even get any consideration for the NCAA. Their record is really fluffy.
They are 3-9 against quadrants 1 & 2, their only quadrant 1 win is a 1 pt road win over a Syracuse team that is also on the wrong side of the bubble.
Their 2 quadrant 2 wins are road wins at Clemson and GT.
They have 0 wins over likely Tourney teams.
They also played 7 games against Quadrant 4 teams - leading to a OOC SoS of 304.
Without a win over FSU they literally have nothing that says they are a Tourney team.

Even though they are next 2 each other in the NET rankings, NCST has a much stronger profile than ND.
NC ST is 8-8 against quadrants 1 and 2 with wins over Duke, UVA (on the road), Wisconsin, and UNC-Greensboro. They also have a win over ND.
NCST issue is bad losses. They have 3 quandrant 3 losses - Home losses to GT and UNC and a road loss to BC.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the Clemson FSU game and the refs blew an inadvertent whistle on a crucial possession. This might be the game where a ref gets fired tonight!

Deleted member 2897

Watching the Clemson FSU game and the refs blew an inadvertent whistle on a crucial possession. This might be the game where a ref gets fired tonight!

ACC will never fire Refs for incompetence. Happens every game.

Clemson beats #4 FSU. Third win over a top 10 team. But they’ve lost to all the teams in the bottom half LOL.

Deleted member 2897

Looks like 4 teams get into the big dance. A crap ton are NIT worthy.

Yep, Virginia has won 6 in a row to join the other 3.

We’ve won 4 out of the last 5. Our KenPom hasn’t budged but a couple the whole time - were still listed at #74. 5-way tie now at 9-9 for 5th place. Gotta beat Pitt at home to get to that 10-10. That will be our first 0.500 finish in the conference in 13 years.

We don’t have the tie breaker against Notre Dame or Syracuse. We do against NC State. Clemson is up in the air. They’ve won 3 games against top 6 teams at home, so that game is not looking good.

Beat Pitt and Clemson and we’re guaranteed top 7. Clemson plays at Virginia Tech next.

Syracuse finishes @BC and @Miami. You never know.

Notre Dame finishes against FSU and VT. Can’t see them winning both.

If we win our next 2 there is probably a 50/50 chance we finish alone in 5th place at 11-9. If we lose to Clemson on the road and finish 10-10, we probably finish 8th. That Clemson win over FSU the other day was a killer.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I was ranking ACC teams with the best chances of getting an NCAA bid beyond the top 4 it would be as follows
NCST (can't afford to lose to any non top 4 ACC teams)
Clemson - Those wins over Duke, L'ville and FSU will go a long ways. Can't afford a loss in its next 3 games.

No one else really needs to apply.
Syracuse has 1 win over a likely Tourney team - UVA
ND has no wins over likely Tourney teams. It has 3 wins over teams currently on the wrong side of the bubble - away wins at Syracuse and Clemson and a neutral win over UCLA. Their OOC SOS is also a huge negative being in the 300's.

GT's NET hasn't moved much because most of the recent wins have come at home to mediocre teams. That doesn't move the net up at this point in the season. Only things that will move it up now are wins against Quadrant 1 opponents and road wins.

Keep in mind from a post-season record perspective for GT is 14-14. The Morehouse game does not count. GT has to win at least its next 3 games to sniff the NIT.

One other thought. Are both Manning and Smart trying to win enough late that their schools don't eat their contracts?

I think only 2 coaches are in trouble this season in the ACC. I have a hard time seeing BC keeping Christian. At Wake it is all about whether they are ready to eat Manning's contract (around $15M this year). Clemson will keep Bronell with his incoming recruiting class.

Deleted member 2897

If I was ranking ACC teams with the best chances of getting an NCAA bid beyond the top 4 it would be as follows
NCST (can't afford to lose to any non top 4 ACC teams)
Clemson - Those wins over Duke, L'ville and FSU will go a long ways. Can't afford a loss in its next 3 games.

No one else really needs to apply.
Syracuse has 1 win over a likely Tourney team - UVA
ND has no wins over likely Tourney teams. It has 3 wins over teams currently on the wrong side of the bubble - away wins at Syracuse and Clemson and a neutral win over UCLA. Their OOC SOS is also a huge negative being in the 300's.

GT's NET hasn't moved much because most of the recent wins have come at home to mediocre teams. That doesn't move the net up at this point in the season. Only things that will move it up now are wins against Quadrant 1 opponents and road wins.

Keep in mind from a post-season record perspective for GT is 14-14. The Morehouse game does not count. GT has to win at least its next 3 games to sniff the NIT.

One other thought. Are both Manning and Smart trying to win enough late that their schools don't eat their contracts?

I think only 2 coaches are in trouble this season in the ACC. I have a hard time seeing BC keeping Christian. At Wake it is all about whether they are ready to eat Manning's contract (around $15M this year). Clemson will keep Bronell with his incoming recruiting class.

I have a really good friend who bleeds orange Clemson blood. He said he is totally happy with Brownell and that he’s doing exactly what he needs to - fart around in the middle and don’t get too good so as to suck resources away from the football team.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
he is totally happy with Brownell and that he’s doing exactly what he needs to

Yup. Same thing I hear from my Clemson people. They're thrilled they beat the big 3 this year and broke the 0-for-UNC string. I don't think Brownell is in any danger as long as Dabo keeps going to the CFP

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If this remains unchanged, we would open with Clemson on Wednesday. So we would have to beat them three times in a row. Not an easy chore.

Deleted member 2897

If this remains unchanged, we would open with Clemson on Wednesday. So we would have to beat them three times in a row. Not an easy chore.

If we beat them twice, we won’t end up with that seed though unless we lose to Pitt.