ACC Discussion 2017

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Do y'all think Bronco Mendenhall is a goner after this season? I think Virgina hasn't improved much at all and the Hoos need a new head football coach.
No idea really... but lots of turnover at the top at UVA. They just named a new President (not sure when the new guy takes over). The AD and a high level assistant AD both retired recently. Sometimes those things speed up such decisions.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
No idea really... but lots of turnover at the top at UVA. They just named a new President (not sure when the new guy takes over). The AD and a high level assistant AD both retired recently. Sometimes those things speed up such decisions.
It can be very tough on a head football coach when a new AD is hired. At Tennessee Butch Jones has felt the pressure when UT hired John Currie as the new AD.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Bronco is legit. Hooville had a culture problem not a talent problem. It's hard to change overnight.

I would be surprised if he's not back next year.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
you don't see a lot of coaches canned in 2 seasons or less, especially at a school that isn't football dominated. I would be pretty surprised to see him let go after only 2 years there.

they at least appear to be better than year 1

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Bronco is legit. Hooville had a culture problem not a talent problem. It's hard to change overnight.

I would be surprised if he's not back next year.
I tend to agree. Two years....especially when you factor in his vision/style (which was not hidden from anyone)...is not enough time to allow him to show you what he can do. @ilovetheoption has opined over Mendenhall's idiosyncrasies in the past. He (Mendenhall) has a "way"

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree. Two years....especially when you factor in his vision/style (which was not hidden from anyone)...is not enough time to allow him to show you what he can do. @ilovetheoption has opined over Mendenhall's idiosyncrasies in the past. He (Mendenhall) has a "way"
I think Mendenhall is a tool. He can coach defense, though. The issue with him (other than that is personality is so daggone grating that it almost makes the team hard to root for) is that his staff doesn't recruit for crap, so we're gonna end up as a "try hard" team that plays tough D but lacks the top level talent to do more than win 6 or 7 games on grit.

Which, great, it's better than we are now, but it's not where we want to be. We don't have the recruiting hurdles that you guys do. We should be able to be a really good team. We have more to offer than VT, and yet they've skunked us for nearly a generation now. We shouldn't have to settle for a team that works their asses off to win 7 games, and if EVERYTHING breaks right wins 8 or 9.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
the 10 year series between ECU and VT is so weird but kind of funny. Outside of last year ECU has pretty much given VT all they can handle year in and year out.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Notre Dame is looking like a overated team as usual that would finish middle of the pack if they were actually in an ACC division. So much for the Dwags big win.

Look like Tennessee used up all it's juju against us. Dormady is now where near as accurate as he was against us in the 2nd half. John Kelly their running back is legit.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I think I just saw Clemson dragging Louisville by the ankle out behind the woodshed. Looks like even with the turnover they're still a step ahead of everyone else in the ACC.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
They kept most of their scary defense right? Losing Watson was big but that defense will get them to the playoffs even if the new QB isn't on point. It looks even better than last year so far.