ACC Discussion 2017

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
About time we start a thread with news that may impact us down the line.

Couple items off the bat:
Virginian-Pilot: Virginia Tech names redshirt freshman Josh Jackson as starting QB for season opener
After playing it coy for the first part of August practice, Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente announced Monday that Josh Jackson will open the season as the Hokies' starting quarterback.

The 6-foot-1, 211-pound redshirt freshman from Ann Arbor, Mich., battled for the job last August but lost out to Jerod Evans. He then spent almost all of last fall watching and learning as Evans led Tech to a 10-4 season.

Jackson beat out A.J. Bush and true freshman Hendon Hooker, and Fuente said at the moment, Bush would be the No. 2 guy.

Miami Herald: UM QB race narrowing, with Evan Shirreffs, Malik Rosier praised
Judging by coach and player talk, not to mention folks who have witnessed practices and the scrimmage, University of Miami redshirt sophomore Evan Shirreffs appears to be strengthening his case for cementing a role as first-team quarterback heading into fall camp — although redshirt junior Malik Rosier has also improved and is pushing him, with two of three scrimmages remaining.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well this is interesting from UNC's SBNation site
UNC Football’s road map to winning the ACC Coastal
If the incoming transfers, along with the returning players, can step up the Heels can be successful, but to win the Coastal Division they will have to follow these steps.

Take care of the easy ones

Expectations are low for UVA and Georgia Tech this season. UVA is at Kenan this year and that will be as close to a “gimme” as UNC has on the schedule. Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, but for the Heels to compete in their division it will be another game they have to win. The Heels have won the last three vs GT but they have been relatively close (with the exclusion of 48-20 last season). These two are the must wins on the schedule for 2017.

Meanwhile at Clemson
Bryant coming off of impressive practices per Swinney (AUDIO)
Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney dropped some high price for his projected starting signal caller.

Swinney says the rising junior had “one of the best practices I’ve seen from a Clemson quarterback in long time” during Friday’s workout. He says despite having “bad luck” on a couple of passes during Saturday’s scrimmage, Swinney liked Bryant’s decision-making skills.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think most people think Tech will be rebuilding since we're replacing #5.
Several of my mutt friends assume this.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
I think most people think Tech will be rebuilding since we're replacing #5.
Several of my mutt friends assume this.
Well, they're not exactly wrong. We don't even know so the starter is yet. While we think the future is bright, fact is we're replacing a dynamic QB who is being considered as an NFL wr. He could change the game in one play. We're nowhere close to that yet. Everyone thinks that our salvation is an experienced OL and an improving D. Recent history has shown that our success depends on the O and that starts with the guy under center. I'm hopeful but not convinced.

Did not realize we dropped 3 in a row to those douchebags. Need to tear those chumps a new one this year. Come on D, bow up!
Even if we go 5-7, I think UNC is a game we will win. They have a lot of holes to fill, and it is time to end their winning streak. I don't see the Tarheels as much of threat to win the division. When you go game by game, the Coastal is looking like another round robin year with everyone getting at least two losses. As always, ever week will be crucial.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

The UNC article is intriguing. This is a team that ALWAYS has talent and generally finds ways to underachieve. The best team this year in North Carolina (the state) will not be UNC but NC State. I see them as a notch below Miami and Virginia Tech. In other words, similar to us in being a "dark horse" candidate in what is usually a topsy turvy Coastal division that any one of several teams could win. We will see.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Shouldn't the NCAA ruling about UNC come out in mid to late September. They might be a demoralized group when they come to ATL.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
we are 12 and 5 against unc this century. guess it doesn't matter but kind of feel the odds of football just turned for them the last 3 years.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, I feel like Miami will be a true ACC/NC contender under Richt. I can definitely see them having minimum 10 win seasons. Like it or not, he is a good coach. Im just glad he isnt at georgia.