ACC Departures

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Berry is one of those kids who is probably torn. He had a really good year and won the Natl Championship. He won't likely get drafted unless it's mid to late second round. Another year in Chapel Hill won't help him in the draft, as he's unlikely to get taller or more athletic. the doubts the pros have about him have more to do with his body and lack of athleticism than his skills. If he leaves, he's headed to DLeague or Europe. If he stays, those destinations await in a year

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Berry is one of those kids who is probably torn. He had a really good year and won the Natl Championship. He won't likely get drafted unless it's mid to late second round. Another year in Chapel Hill won't help him in the draft, as he's unlikely to get taller or more athletic. the doubts the pros have about him have more to do with his body and lack of athleticism than his skills. If he leaves, he's headed to DLeague or Europe. If he stays, those destinations await in a year

Yep - 6'1" shooting guards better have Iverson level athleticism in the NBA. I think he is an excellent college guard who isn't going to translate to the NBA. Sucks for him but reality.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if Bradley is looking at the commitment by Brooks as the signal he is just one of four bigs on the UNC roster and will only get 20-24 minutes on the best of nights.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Bradley is looking at the commitment by Brooks as the signal he is just one of four bigs on the UNC roster and will only get 20-24 minutes on the best of nights.

I think it is more he is hearing he is a mid round pick this year in a supposed weaker draft this year. Plus he is a lot better shooter thanAs the UNC system shows. He needs to put on weight but he is being told he could be a pick and pop 5 in the NBA. Possibly a 4 but a solid career as a second team center / possible starter if he gets a lot better. But young and supposedly willing to work hard.

As for UNC, don't forget they still follow Dean's seniority system so I don't see him getting pushed aside for any of the new guys.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Frank Jackson is going to test the waters, but not hire an agent. I assume he will go to combine, get feedback and be back in Durham. Would be very surprised if he stays in the draft

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it is more he is hearing he is a mid round pick this year in a supposed weaker draft this year. Plus he is a lot better shooter thanAs the UNC system shows. He needs to put on weight but he is being told he could be a pick and pop 5 in the NBA. Possibly a 4 but a solid career as a second team center / possible starter if he gets a lot better. But young and supposedly willing to work hard.

As for UNC, don't forget they still follow Dean's seniority system so I don't see him getting pushed aside for any of the new guys.

A little more info on Bradley's status if he comes back - none of the freshman bigs are considered blue chip type prospects. More development types who would see spot duty this coming year if Bradley stays. If he goes, UNC is going to have to do some major work on changing their long held double post structure. They won't have the proven interior folks to run it.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...rticle146188919.html#emlnl=morning_newsletter

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If Bradley goes and they whiff on Knox, UNC will be pretty mediocre next year. Backcourt of Berry, Woods, Williams, Robinson, Felton & Platek. Front court of Pinson (smallish 3) and Maye (4) plus three frosh (Brooks, Manley, Huffman)

Maybe this is part of Roy's plan to get hammered by NCAA this year when they will be mediocre to begin with. Remember the last time they won a NC, they followed up 20-17, 5-11 and in the NIT. And in 2002, they were 8-20, 4-12. Could there be an 8 year curse on the Holes? 2002 - 2010 - 2018???

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep - and it is possible Berry may look at that and say it is better to go get paid overseas. Seeing Europe and getting paid over $500K after tax ain't a bad gig after all.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bradley declared for the draft last night.
This means the Heels have Maye and three freshmen (none of whom were higher than 3*) for the 4/5 positions. Even if Berry stays with UNC, the Heels will be likely to play small a lot next year. Does this affect the Kevin Knox decision? I know he does not want to forced to play the 4.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To build off my last post, Bradley is not signing with an agent (not yet, at least) so he could still return. Which brings up the question, why would any player who has NBA aspirations not declare at this point and test the waters with NBA scouts Dad or mom could play the limited role of agent without hurting their NCAA eligibility.

Another question, how does a kid "test the waters" and stay in school for the rest of the semester? At UNC, classes are still in session this week and finals are next week. Maybe Bradley will be finished with Spring before any of the NBA workouts begin?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think a kid can only go through the process and come back once. After that if he declares he is done regardless of whether he signs with an agent or not. I think - memory could be failing me here.
Regardless, if you are a decent NBA prospect that should be sufficient. And anyone with a chance or expected chance should declare and get the feedback. Calapari has famously had his whole team declare including the walk ons and managers just to make this point.
Also, just because they can't sign with an agent doesn't mean they can't talk to an agent or get into the NBA draft training process. And the NBA trainers believe their methods and targets for training are a lot more focused and targeted on the NBA game than college workouts. My bet is Bradley is still going to class and some level of UNC workouts (weights probably) but also spending all his free time with NBA type trainers getting ready for the draft and developing a reputation with those trainers. I expect his academic load for this semester was built with this in mind.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What is everyone's problem with the 4? There is no rule that says you can't shoot the 3 while playing the four and if you undersized it's likely you will be hidden in a zone.
Au contraire!

Rule 6.14.6 : A power forward may not shoot any threes with more than two seconds on the shot clock, and only then if he's a white guy with no hops.

So this means Knox has to play the 3 or he is doomed to stay in school for four years.