ACC Bowl Action

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s a nonsense clickbait tweet that attempts to equate raw player count with a level playing field.

That said, uga did have a few key players like Bowers out. But to compare playing with your green 3rd-string QB to a seasoned starting QB is taking the most important player out of the equation. I gagged a bit writing this in defense of FSU, but no one with any insight into the true relative strength of the remaining players on these teams would agree that they’re about even.
And, even with Bowers out, uga had had several weeks to learn how to play without him. That’s very different from having a totally new team on the field for the first time.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Can’t have your starters out and expect to beat Georgia when they have better players to begin with. Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Ohio St are loaded every year 3 deep. Got to figure Out what Kirby and Saban do to get their players wanting to play in bowl games. It’s gotta be a pride thing because they don’t make ‘em play they just want too.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m wondering why a player, a starter or 2-deep player, would portal out of a 13-0 conference champ program with the history FSU has. It’s mind boggling, unless they mostly come back, but they have led to an epic embarrassment for the university. Will they even be allowed back?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Misleading Tweet, Stupid Twit.

Sure, UGA is deeper, and UGA's 3rd & 4th is better than FSU's 2nd & 3rd. So what? They can only put 11 guys on the field at a time...same as everyone else.

All that WOULD have mattered is how FSU's 1st played against UGA's 1st.

And we'll never know because "football is broken."
The SEC / ESPN narrative is part of why football is broken.

Kirby laments after the fact that he didn’t get to play against FSU’s first string yet he left his first string in to run up the score until well into the second half.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Misleading Tweet, Stupid Twit.

Sure, UGA is deeper, and UGA's 3rd & 4th is better than FSU's 2nd & 3rd. So what? They can only put 11 guys on the field at a time...same as everyone else.

All that WOULD have mattered is how FSU's 1st played against UGA's 1st.

And we'll never know because "football is broken."

The way he presented it was definitely stupid. There's nuance...and having front line guys out is important.

HOWEVER...63-3 is pretty embarrassing regardless of who is on the field, especially if you're a P5 team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Until the big 10 and ACC figure out a way to get their players wanting to play in bowl games the SEC will dominate bowl season. I can understand future NFL players wanting to sit out the Outback bowl but players sitting out the Peach Bowl and Orange Bowl is a problem. IMO the big 10 and ACC players don’t care enough while the SEC players do care and that’s why they kick butt in bowl games. Penn St had 5 starters out one being the captain of the team and the game didn’t end good. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I paid $1000 to watch the game live and I got the backups. This won’t happen to me again because I’ll never spend that kind of money again I’ll just watch it on the TV which I’d rather do anyway. Even had Penn St won the game I’d feel the same way. I thought it was Chop Robinson I was paying to watch and it was his backup smh lol. I got a headache from the SEC chant lol

The SEC isn't dominating bowl season... unless you mean the PR machine? Still some games remain but P5 conferences are tracking to all be around .500 this year.

• Big Ten: 4-2 (.66%)
  • Big 12: 5-3 (.62%)
  • SEC: 3-3 (.40%)
  • Pac-12: 3-3 (.50%)
  • ACC: 5-6 (.45%)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Until the big 10 and ACC figure out a way to get their players wanting to play in bowl games the SEC will dominate bowl season. I can understand future NFL players wanting to sit out the Outback bowl but players sitting out the Peach Bowl and Orange Bowl is a problem. IMO the big 10 and ACC players don’t care enough while the SEC players do care and that’s why they kick butt in bowl games. Penn St had 5 starters out one being the captain of the team and the game didn’t end good. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I paid $1000 to watch the game live and I got the backups. This won’t happen to me again because I’ll never spend that kind of money again I’ll just watch it on the TV which I’d rather do anyway. Even had Penn St won the game I’d feel the same way. I thought it was Chop Robinson I was paying to watch and it was his backup smh lol. I got a headache from the SEC chant lol
When CFB junkies get fed up and stop watching it will change, and not a moment before.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The SEC isn't dominating bowl season... unless you mean the PR machine? Still some games remain but P5 conferences are tracking to all be around .500 this year.

• Big Ten: 4-2 (.66%)
  • Big 12: 5-3 (.62%)
  • SEC: 3-3 (.40%)
  • Pac-12: 3-3 (.50%)
  • ACC: 5-6 (.45%)
Im not really talking about just this year im talking about the last 20 years but this year isn’t over yet so let’s see how it finishes out. The heavyweights are just getting started.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The way he presented it was definitely stupid. There's nuance...and having front line guys out is important.

HOWEVER...63-3 is pretty embarrassing regardless of who is on the field, especially if you're a P5 team.
FS(u) is welcome to embarrass themselves all they want. What really ticks me off is the way they sh*t all over the reputation of the entire conference.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I believe Brent Key has the same attitude as Kirby and Saban. His players have pride and want to play and win. We watched it happen this year where the team never give up and found a way to get us 7 wins. I believe we got something in Brent Key the players get him and believe in him. Ga Tech is on the rise.

I worry about how NIL will affect momentum of a program. Particularly our program. Can you imagine this team with Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Jordan Domineck?

Ivey had 46 tackles, 5.5 sacks for Ole Miss at DE.
Stone had 27 tackles, 2.5 sacks for Ole Miss at DT.
Domineck had 51 tackles, 5 sacks for Colorado at OLB/DE.

All guys that could have been beneficial to our defense this year. Ivey and Stone have another season. Now we've lost Kennard and Douse of our DL. How loaded would our defense have been if all the guys were on the roster next year? I made a point in another thread that it seem GT is becoming an incubator for DLs...only for other schools to take them away.

That's not including other guys that would be better players this year and next year that left for NIL reasons. That's the reality of the college environment now.

I know GT is building up our war chest for NIL, but there will always be some schools that can outspend us.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I worry about how NIL will affect momentum of a program. Particularly our program. Can you imagine this team with Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Jordan Domineck?

All guys that could have been beneficial to our defense this year. Ivey and Stone have another season. Now we've lost Kennard and Douse of our DL. How loaded would our defense have been if all the guys were on the roster next year? I made a point in another thread that it seem GT is becoming an incubator for DLs...only for other schools to take them away.

That's not including other guys that would be better players this year and next year that left for NIL reasons. That's the reality of the college environment now.

I know GT is building up our war chest for NIL, but there will always be some schools that can outspend us.
FSU is losing 29 players off of a 13-0 conference champ. It’s truly all about money now. SMH.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FS(u) is welcome to embarrass themselves all they want. What really ticks me off is the way they sh*t all over the reputation of the entire conference.

Oh, trust me...I got out the popcorn for that a$$ beating. Like I said in another thread, I wanted FSU in the playoffs because it meant GT would get more money from a conference revenue sharing standpoint, but as soon it was announced FSU was left out, I didn't care at all that FSU got shafted. This was before FSU filed the lawsuit and sh!t all over the conference. People forget that FSU spearheaded the uneven revenue sharing because they cried into any mic available to them last summer that they were being held back by the league. The fact that they filed the lawsuit just weeks ago made me enjoy that curb stomping by UGA even more.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Can’t have your starters out and expect to beat Georgia when they have better players to begin with. Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Ohio St are loaded every year 3 deep. Got to figure Out what Kirby and Saban do to get their players wanting to play in bowl games. It’s gotta be a pride thing because they don’t make ‘em play they just want too.
One of their main motivations for this game was it would the the 50th win for their outgoing seniors.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Also shows that FSU didn't have much quality depth behind their starters.

FSU's reserves versus UGA's reserves (UGA's reserves played the entire 2nd half...including walk ons) also looked outmatched. UGA's reserves alone covered the spread.
Its hard to judge anything in the second half when the game is already a blowout. On one side you have excited guys who rarely play getting a chance in a stress free winning environment. On the other side you have a completely dejected team that is just trying to run the clock out. Remember the Clemson game from a few years ago? Apparently their punter was a better QB than Jeff Sims.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

If we’re going to be an incubator for the powerhouse programs, we should find a way to claim a finder’s fee when they poach our players…