ACC Bowl Action

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I just wonder what if… what if the other members of the ACC voted FSU out of the conference for non-performance. What other conference would pick them up right now. They are toxic.

Also, if you’re Norvel what do you do? Your program just quit on one of the biggest stages in college football. Do you even want to stay there?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The Orange Bowl Committee aught to void their $mega-million paycheck to FSU for lack of performance. Then in-turn FSU should realize they are suing the wrong people, apologize to the ACC and sue their own players for their lack of commitment. In todays college football landscape the word "commitment" should be replaced by "for as long as I want"
No, that would affect the entire conference. FSU should have their portion of the bowl game dollars reduced based on the number of players who opted out!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I just wonder what if… what if the other members of the ACC voted FSU out of the conference for non-performance. What other conference would pick them up right now. They are toxic.

Also, if you’re Norvel what do you do? Your program just quit on one of the biggest stages in college football. Do you even want to stay there?
The other ACC teams are not going to vote them out of the conference. That's just a silly notion even think about. Especially, when there's 570 million on the line... 😉

Edit: I see that the comment was a " thought experiment". 😁

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

I heard Conference USA is interested ... (sic) :ROFLMAO:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The other ACC teams are not going to vote them out of the conference. That's just a silly notion even think about. Especially, when there's 570 million on the line... 😉

Edit: I see that the comment was a " thought experiment". 😁
Yes, the thought experiment part was the who would take them part.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. FSU’s goal was CFP or bust, and they went bust. I guess the culture is better at UGA
I was thinking about this as well. I mentioned in another thread that teams/players that have the CFP as their primary end-of-season goal may have little motivation if they don’t get in. However, I think there is a valid reason besides just culture as to why the mindset is different between uga and FSU.

UGA missed their chance due to their play on the field in a close game. They weren’t snubbed by the committee, since they lost their conference championship. Their players by and large still wanted another chance to prove something. FSU on the other hand did everything they needed to do and could do on the field of play, and were still left out. That would naturally have a lot of players thinking “What’s the point?”

I’m not defending the FSU player’s choice, just pointing out why their attitude would tend to be different.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It's weird hearing folks talk about the Orange bowl as a meaningless game, consolation prize. Sure I get FSU being pissed about not being in the top 4. But really feels like many teams not playing in the NY6 bowls are taking theirs more seriously
I agree if FSU really didn't want to play, they should have declined and let a team who wanted to be there play
Yep. I agree with this. Good coaches instill a winning culture and find reasons to get their team fired up. Last year a #5 alabama smoked K State in the sugar bowl. Kirby (2 time repeating national champion team) got his team fired up to win 50 games in 4 years. Lane Kiffin got his players fired up to be the first 11 win Ole Miss team. Not sure why Novel gets a pass on not getting his team fired up to be the first 14-0 FSU team.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
We got to open against FSU next year.
Years ago Clemson had similar Bowl game as FSU , I think against Cincinnati, every one mocked Clemson. Clemson was a powerhouse for years after that game.
Thinking last night’s loss seems a lot like that game and maybe be catalyst of FSU’s return.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We got to open against FSU next year.
Years ago Clemson had similar Bowl game as FSU , I think against Cincinnati, every one mocked Clemson. Clemson was a powerhouse for years after that game.
Thinking last night’s loss seems a lot like that game and maybe be catalyst of FSU’s return.

The difference is that Clemson was at full strength. It led to Dabo firing his D-coordinator and hiring Venables after the game.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to very grudgingly give respect to the leg humpers. It says something about the team and culture how they showed up and played last night.

The Criminoles continue to be the dirt bags they've always been. I feel pretty positive about our opening game next year. They're losing a TON of players. Between the off field legal drama, the total quit of the team, the embarrassing loss... Norvell's program looks like a circus right now. Would not surprise me if more jump ship after last night. Who would want to go be a part of their mess? Their fanbase is angry and discouraged. Their leadership could've played into the 'let's prove them wrong', try to rally the community around the team. Instead, they're going scorched earth. Their fans want blood and a scapegoat. Would not shock me to see Norvell on the hot seat next year. They start with Tech, a pretty strong Memphis squad and ND. They'll be breaking in a new QB and a ton of new starters. Could easily start 0-3 or 1-2 and the internal toxicity could snowball on them.

slugboy

Staff member
I have to very grudgingly give respect to the leg humpers. It says something about the team and culture how they showed up and played last night.

The Criminoles continue to be the dirt bags they've always been. I feel pretty positive about our opening game next year. They're losing a TON of players. Between the off field legal drama, the total quit of the team, the embarrassing loss... Norvell's program looks like a circus right now. Would not surprise me if more jump ship after last night. Who would want to go be a part of their mess? Their fanbase is angry and discouraged. Their leadership could've played into the 'let's prove them wrong', try to rally the community around the team. Instead, they're going scorched earth. Their fans want blood and a scapegoat. Would not shock me to see Norvell on the hot seat next year. They start with Tech, a pretty strong Memphis squad and ND. They'll be breaking in a new QB and a ton of new starters. Could easily start 0-3 or 1-2 and the internal toxicity could snowball on them.
They have NIL, and one of the top 10 recruiting classes. They’ll go portaling in the Spring and rebuild their roster.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Norvel’s team didn’t quit. Those who didn’t play are not on his team anymore. The team he fielded was his team.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how the "mercenary" mentality plays out in college football. Kids who have NFL potential, that were paid to leave their school and play elsewhere, what kind of loyalty do they really have to a team they've been with for a year? They've already been paid to play that year, so do they really want to risk injury and NFL money to play in a meaningless bowl game with guys they barely know?

Look at QB Sam Hartman. By all reports, he's a high character guy who was adored by his teammates at Wake Forest. Notre Dame famously paid him (a reported) $1million+ to play for them this season. He opted out of playing at the Sun Bowl but still showed up and watched from the sidelines.

1. If the administration is telling kids all the games matter, but the system shows the kids that that games really don't matter, kids are smart enough assess if bowl games are worth risking their professional futures. Guys like Caleb Williams, Sam Hartman, Keon Coleman who all made "business decisions" to go to their current schools are probably more likely to make a "business decision" whether meaningless bowl games are worth playing for schools they really don't have ties to. Those guys, as well as a many others, decided that it wasn't in their best interest to play so they didn't...and they are 100% right in whatever they decide to do.

2. Kids opting out of playing is just the beginning of the fallout and the impact of the current system. At some point, kids will get smart and realize you can't have bowl games if there's no one to play in them. It would not surprise me at all to see entire teams asking to get paid to play in bowl games...and maybe even asking networks to pay the players as well. Before anyone says "You can't pay to play", realize that NIL is about marketing opportunities. If Pop Tart or some mortgage company wants a kid to put their company's patch on a player's jersey, or have their logo splashed behind a player at pressers, they'll have to start paying the kids for that opportunity.

3. ESPN chastising FSU players (or any player) for opting out of a meaningless bowl game is rich. Given that ESPN talking heads lobbied for weeks to essentially lock out FSU for an SEC team, well, you can't have it both ways.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
One thing I am not clear on…perhaps someone on this board can clarify for me.
Was EVERY FSU player who opted out someone who went into the portal or the NFL draft? In other words, or those 39 FSU players all leaving the program?
In these mercenary days, I doubt top notch players would do anything that hurt their pro chances. So I am less convinced of the conspiracy theory that they opted out to screw ESPN or the CFP committee. Maybe some accelerated their decisions but no one would do anything that might hurt their careers.