ACC Baseball - 2023

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Starting a thread for ACC Baseball for the upcoming season.

VT tops(ish) in the conference? It just can't be. Seems hokie to me. I am a hokie hater.

Based on this, D1 thinks Ga Tech will be somewhere in bottom half of the conference or division(?). My homeritus makes that seem/sound ridiculous.

By the way... is the ACC sticking with divisions for baseball? The always reliable (tic) ACC website has none in their default/presaeson standings.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Starting a thread for ACC Baseball for the upcoming season.

VT tops(ish) in the conference? It just can't be. Seems hokie to me. I am a hokie hater.

Based on this, D1 thinks Ga Tech will be somewhere in bottom half of the conference or division(?). My homeritus makes that seem/sound ridiculous.

By the way... is the ACC sticking with divisions for baseball? The always reliable (tic) ACC website has none in their default/presaeson standings.

Maybe they just got their "Tech" schools confused. 😧

Kidding aside, if our team ERA doesn't improve a whole bunch, I can see that type of year for us. Our pitching has been atrocious for a long while, but last year was BAD. And it doesn't seem our talent has been bad (some of those same guys are working their way to high minors or even majors recently), but on field results for us have been...disappointing.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
We have had some guys the past few years that were just as likely to walk the bases full as they were to strike out the side. Our ERA has been so bad, I think, because of control problems putting so many men on base and then giving in by throwing stuff over the middle of the plate in order to prevent more walks. We have had some guys with huge talent but not able to control their A+ stuff. Going into this year I think we have a staff that is made up of more strike throwers than we have in the past. I think this will also help our defense stay on their toes and reduce the errors caused by the pressure to get outs due to all the runners on base.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We have had some guys the past few years that were just as likely to walk the bases full as they were to strike out the side. Our ERA has been so bad, I think, because of control problems putting so many men on base and then giving in by throwing stuff over the middle of the plate in order to prevent more walks. We have had some guys with huge talent but not able to control their A+ stuff. Going into this year I think we have a staff that is made up of more strike throwers than we have in the past. I think this will also help our defense stay on their toes and reduce the errors caused by the pressure to get outs due to all the runners on base.
I have been thinking along the same lines....IMO we have a bunch of "throwers" and it seems that our coaching is focused on having them throw hard with high spin rates. But somewhere along the way we forgot to teach them how to be "pitchers" those guys that throw strikes with movement and get the batter out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After one day, uuuugggghhhh. VT, ND, Miami, UNC lose unexpectedly. BC loses but it's BC. Pitt allows it to be close. The RPI really reflects these OOC games later in the season.

1676727189732.png

GT33

Helluva Engineer
After one day, uuuugggghhhh. VT, ND, Miami, UNC lose unexpectedly. BC loses but it's BC. Pitt allows it to be close. The RPI really reflects these OOC games later in the season.
Wasn't exactly a bed of roses with the other conferences. These other teams lost also:

SEC: Mutt (JSt), Missouri (OkSt), Vandy (TCU), Ky (Elon), Tn (Ariz)
PAC: OrSt (NM), Stanford (Fullerton)
Big: IU (Au), Rutgers (Camels), Md (Usf), NW (TSt), MN (UCsb), Neb (SD)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, Notre Dame and Pitt both lost their season opening series today (Pitt to Maine and ND to powerhouse Lipscomb) but the rest of the ACC held their own (kinda).

Miami needed a two out two run HR in the bottom of the ninth to come from behind to nip Penn State 3-2. And Duke slipped in extras against St. Joseph's but everyone else won convincingly.

SEC looks STRONG as I think they went unbeaten today and only lost one game yesterday.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, Notre Dame and Pitt both lost their season opening series today (Pitt to Maine and ND to powerhouse Lipscomb) but the rest of the ACC held their own (kinda).

Miami needed a two out two run HR in the bottom of the ninth to come from behind to nip Penn State 3-2. And Duke slipped in extras against St. Joseph's but everyone else won convincingly.

SEC looks STRONG as I think they went unbeaten today and only lost one game yesterday.
KeyDets!! [This was 1 of more than 1 Sat loss for SEC]

Years & Years of baseball data/outcomes means there should be no surprises (tic)

@GTNavyNuke correctly predicted Ga Tech would sweep Miami (Ohio) based on the data.

[College] Baseball is a beautiful beast. Anomalies ROCK!!!!

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

SEC is strong, no doubt, but let's not give them more credit than deserved. They've lost one today, Indiana over Auburn, and in the 8th Missouri is trailing TCU 6-5 in the College Baseball Showdown. Yesterday they lost three games (Tennessee, Mississippi St, and Arkansas). Certainly, though, the have played a tough bunch of games, mainly from having three teams in the Showdown.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like comparing conferences but we do it all the time. Why is that... by the way?
The much better alternative is comparing individual teams.

After opening weekend, the ACC has highest winning % in all of D1 Baseball. It's close but ACC is higher.
#whocares
Missouri just defeated TCU in extra innings. If my calculations are correct, The ACC and the SEC are both 33-9.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't like comparing conferences but we do it all the time. Why is that... by the way?
The much better alternative is comparing individual teams.

After opening weekend, the ACC has highest winning % in all of D1 Baseball. It's close but ACC is higher.
#whocares

Comparing conferences is probably anthropological; it goes back to tribal allegiances. You preferring comparing individual teams just means you have a smaller tribe view :)

And I did correctly predict we would sweep Miami O. Not much of a stretch; Miami O is now 0-18 against top 100 rpi teams in 2022-2023. But they played very well on Saturday.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Congrats on another Sweep!
UNC lost 2 to ECU. Friday game at ECU has 6003 in attendance. What an atmosphere that place has....Aaron Fit was on (about minute 49 if you watch it back on ESPN).
UCF swept Clemson.

Watched the VT game with Bryant. VT let their starter go 105 pitches in the low 40s temps. That is all kinds of crazy this early. Poor guy.

Good luck this week! GOFH this weekend! We'll be cheering for ya.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Congrats on another Sweep!
UNC lost 2 to ECU. Friday game at ECU has 6003 in attendance. What an atmosphere that place has....Aaron Fit was on (about minute 49 if you watch it back on ESPN).
UCF swept Clemson.

Watched the VT game with Bryant. VT let their starter go 105 pitches in the low 40s temps. That is all kinds of crazy this early. Poor guy.

Good luck this week! GOFH this weekend! We'll be cheering for ya.

Letting a guy go 105 pitches in low 40s is stupid. Guy won't last. And against Bryant? I forget which southern team it was who was lined up with two best pitchers several years ago and burned them out.

ECU has a very good program. I respect their program and coaching.