ACC Baseball - 2023

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
You might actually want to draw Wake. You want to draw the team who has nothing really to play for as far as the NCAAs are concerned. I would put Wake at the top of that list. Plus, that would be the biggest help from a resume POV.
No thanks. I would much rather be in a pool with Clemson or Duke as the top seed. No need to play the RPI game, just need wins. I have no idea what has to haappen for us to end up in a pod with either of those two teams. I'll leave that up to someone else to figure out.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
No thanks. I would much rather be in a pool with Clemson or Duke as the top seed. No need to play the RPI game, just need wins. I have no idea what has to haappen for us to end up in a pod with either of those two teams. I'll leave that up to someone else to figure out.
That's sorta my point. I think that we are more likely to beat Wake than we are to beat Clemson. Wake is there just because they have to be. Sure, winning the ACC tourney is nice, but their goal is to be ready for the NCAA tourney. This includes getting their mid-level pitchers some game action. Clemson would be playing all out for the chance to be a top-8 seed, so they are going to be focused and do everything they can to win.

ETA: I checked...since this pool play thing started, only Clemson in 2018 had the best regular season record and made it out of pool play. And they lost in the semis. So, not once has the top team even made it to the championship game, much less won it.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That's sorta my point. I think that we are more likely to beat Wake than we are to beat Clemson. Wake is there just because they have to be. Sure, winning the ACC tourney is nice, but their goal is to be ready for the NCAA tourney. This includes getting their mid-level pitchers some game action. Clemson would be playing all out for the chance to be a top-8 seed, so they are going to be focused and do everything they can to win.

ETA: I checked...since this pool play thing started, only Clemson in 2018 had the best regular season record and made it out of pool play. And they lost in the semis. So, not once has the top team even made it to the championship game, much less won it.
I have wondered if this is a function of the #1 overall ACC team feeling pretty secure in being a top 8 national seed regardless of ACC Tournament performance OR the format. Pool winners only need to win 1st 2 games of their tournament... any ACC team... any season ... can do that.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I have wondered if this is a function of the #1 overall ACC team feeling pretty secure in being a top 8 national seed regardless of ACC Tournament performance OR the format. Pool winners only need to win 1st 2 games of their tournament... any ACC team... any season ... can do that.
The format HEAVILY favors top 8 seeds. 1-1 pool ties go to the winner.

I'd say you're correct that its the security those teams feel.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Interestingly, the #2 seed (lower of the two division winners) has won their pool 4 out of 5 seasons. #3 and #4 do better than #1, but not better than random. It could be, as you say, just a function of the randomness of baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interestingly, the #2 seed (lower of the two division winners) has won their pool 4 out of 5 seasons. #3 and #4 do better than #1, but not better than random. It could be, as you say, just a function of the randomness of baseball.
I think that has the most to do with it. True that the top 4 each have an advantage IF all 3 teams go 1-1 in their respective pool. But that doesn't mean they WIIL win pool if they go 1-1. The most likely outcome of these things is 2-0, 1-1, 0-2. ...not that all go 1-1.

I believe the reason for that has to do with the teams playing early... the lower seeds... are all in to win Game1 as it's an elimination game. That loser is likely to go 0-2 after pushing so many chips in on Game1.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure these seeds are locked up regardless of today's outcomes.
#1 Wake
#2 UVA
#3 Clemson
#4 Duke / Miami winner
#5 Duke / Miami loser
#6-#12 are more complicated

Ga Tech can still be 9th, 10th, or 11th

ETA: Final spot is down to Loiusville or Pitt

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many games we’ve had this season where we’ve given up less than 5 runs by the 5th inning. Cannot be many.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure these seeds are locked up regardless of today's outcomes.
#1 Wake
#2 UVA
#3 Clemson
#4 Duke / Miami winner
#5 Duke / Miami loser
#6-#12 are more complicated

Ga Tech can still be 9th, 10th, or 11th

ETA: Final spot is down to Loiusville or Pitt
I think 6 is the BC/ND winner, 7 is UNC and 8 is the BC/ND loser