ACC 2023-2024

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke was 0-9 in the 1st half from 3-point range last night, but Mark Mitchell owned the lane. In the 2nd half Mitchell returned to his normal imposing self and Duke went 8-8 from three. All the while Cuse was careless with the ball and could not hit threes even when open. I may become one those posters who gripes about officiating at Cameron. It was awful last night. It was not a factor in the outcome, but Cuse was a victim of the Duke officiating curse.

Carlton Carrington scored 20 for Pitt and they lost by 13 to UNC. UNC was not having having a great night shooting or this would have been a blowout. But, Pitt was heaving bricks last night (30% overall and 17% from three).

I did not see any of Wake's six point win at BC.

Our game at FSU is on the ACC Network tonight at 7 PM. This game and the next two (at home) are really big games for us before we crash into Duke (again) and Clemson on the road.
I watched BC / Wake. Yes, it was excruciating but I had a $100 on the BC ML.

Basically, Wake won it at the 3pt line shooting 47% (10/21). They’ve got 2-3 guys that can fill it up from deep, the LSU transfer Reid in the paint, and the Hildreth kid who I loathe. Talks way too much **** for me.

BC has Quinton Post but didn’t seem to utilize him very well. Other than that, I didn’t see much out of them. Thought they would have played better at home. They got outrebounded and shot it poorly.

I’ll be disappointed if we lose to either of those teams.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched BC / Wake. Yes, it was excruciating but I had a $100 on the BC ML.

Basically, Wake won it at the 3pt line shooting 47% (10/21). They’ve got 2-3 guys that can fill it up from deep, the LSU transfer Reid in the paint, and the Hildreth kid who I loathe. Talks way too much **** for me.

BC has Quinton Post but didn’t seem to utilize him very well. Other than that, I didn’t see much out of them. Thought they would have played better at home. They got outrebounded and shot it poorly.

I’ll be disappointed if we lose to either of those teams.
While we talk about our lack of structured offensive sets, Wake takes it to another level. I watched most of the second half and they didn't do anything except put the ball in the PGs hands and tell everyone else to get out of the way. Very few picks, no real off ball motion - just find a spot to be available when BC helps on the PG. And BC way overhelped on him - the last 3 point shot I counted 3 guys looking to stop the PG. It was hard to watch.

To be clear I am a fan of so called motion offense sets that utilize different screening patterns and move the ball back and forth. Old school compared to the European inspired space and pass 5 out sets. Watching the ACC games last night I didn't see anyone running what I would call a motion offense - all were variants of the European / NBA space and pass with some high ball screen action included. I haven't seen everyone but the only old school approach I have seen is VT with their circular down screen action.

Point being what GT is running now is not radically different from what we will see in the rest of the ACC. These sets seem much more PG focused with the key to initiating the offense being getting the PG into the paint - via a high ball screen like GT likes to do or simply opening up and letting the PG go to work like Wake. To me that is the key to our offensive efficiency and 3 point shooting percentage (which I agree is low) - can we get the point guard in the paint to generate the switches/overhelp that lead to the rest of the kick/drive/shot actions.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
While we talk about our lack of structured offensive sets, Wake takes it to another level. I watched most of the second half and they didn't do anything except put the ball in the PGs hands and tell everyone else to get out of the way. Very few picks, no real off ball motion - just find a spot to be available when BC helps on the PG. And BC way overhelped on him - the last 3 point shot I counted 3 guys looking to stop the PG. It was hard to watch.

To be clear I am a fan of so called motion offense sets that utilize different screening patterns and move the ball back and forth. Old school compared to the European inspired space and pass 5 out sets. Watching the ACC games last night I didn't see anyone running what I would call a motion offense - all were variants of the European / NBA space and pass with some high ball screen action included. I haven't seen everyone but the only old school approach I have seen is VT with their circular down screen action.

Point being what GT is running now is not radically different from what we will see in the rest of the ACC. These sets seem much more PG focused with the key to initiating the offense being getting the PG into the paint - via a high ball screen like GT likes to do or simply opening up and letting the PG go to work like Wake. To me that is the key to our offensive efficiency and 3 point shooting percentage (which I agree is low) - can we get the point guard in the paint to generate the switches/overhelp that lead to the rest of the kick/drive/shot actions.
Why is this the trend? Why aren’t more teams running a more organized offensive system?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why is this the trend? Why aren’t more teams running a more organized offensive system?
This offensive set give teams more opportunities for shots at the basket or from the 3 point line. That is the reason for the 4/5 out offense. The Golden State Warriors used it to get 4 NBA Championships since 2015. Sports are copycat endeavors.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are no Thursday or Friday games in the ACC this week, but tomorrow is going to be fun. #8 UNC travels to #16 Clemson for a big game for both teams. It's on ESPN2 at noon. UVA travels to Raleigh to play NC State. Watch the Wolfpack. They're a good team. It's on the ACC Network at 2 PM. Then our game is on ESPN2 at 4 PM. We need this game and the one next Tuesday with ND. Both are at McCamish and tickets are available.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Isn't Wake's offense very similar to the offense perfected by our own Vanilla Godzilla? (still the best nickname ever)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Great day of ACC hoops today.

Catch the biggest game of the young season - UNC @ Clemson at noon. Then get your *** to a bar in walking distance of McCamish to pregame at 2 for UVA @ NCSU and Miami @ Wake. Celebrate our win by racing home, making up a pot of tea for vocal cord recovery (plus some victory bourbon!), and tuning in as the Dookies take on Notre Dame at Purcell Pavilion.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of Notre Dame, how have they gotten so bad so quickly? I know they pulled out a win the other day, but for most of the season they have been pretty bad. Not quite Louisville bad, but far from what they used to be. Was Brey that good of a coach or is the new guy just not cutting it?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Notre Dame, how have they gotten so bad so quickly? I know they pulled out a win the other day, but for most of the season they have been pretty bad. Not quite Louisville bad, but far from what they used to be. Was Brey that good of a coach or is the new guy just not cutting it?
They haven't really been great in recent years but any and all of their talent transferred when Brey left and Shrewsberry wasn't able to reload particularly well. That said -- I watched their game against UVA and they were absolutely stroking against the Packline. Purcell gets good crowds even when the team is bad and is a hard place to win.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
They haven't really been great in recent years but any and all of their talent transferred when Brey left and Shrewsberry wasn't able to reload particularly well. That said -- I watched their game against UVA and they were absolutely stroking against the Packline. Purcell gets good crowds even when the team is bad and is a hard place to win.
Purcell hasn't helped them much this year losing to Auburn, Western Carolina, Georgetown, Citadel and NC State all at home. Only 5-4 at home this season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Officiating in the Clemson UNC game reminds me of the old big east especially in the post area. They’re letting a lot of body pushing in general physicality got that I didn’t think they were supposed to anymore. Both ways to be clear

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
NCSA is blowing UVA out of the arena. NCST plays the same full court pressure FSU did. State is scoring at Will against UVA. Not something you see often.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
From my limited experience, Purcell does indeed get good crowds. I was in Indiana visiting wife’s side of the family for Christmas a few seasons back when GT happened to be playing at ND a few days after Christmas. It was 8 degrees and snowing. I wasn’t sure if the game would be canceled. It wasn’t. Then I figured I would be the only one there in such weather, but I wasn’t. The place was packed to the rafters with ND fans.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
From my limited experience, Purcell does indeed get good crowds. I was in Indiana visiting wife’s side of the family for Christmas a few seasons back when GT happened to be playing at ND a few days after Christmas. It was 8 degrees and snowing. I wasn’t sure if the game would be canceled. It wasn’t. Then I figured I would be the only one there in such weather, but I wasn’t. The place was packed to the rafters with ND fans.
This reinforces my assertion that college towns, like South Bend, have a huge advantage when it comes to attendance at sporting events. In addition to the fact that they don't have many other entertainment options like the universities (or institutes) located in metropolitan areas, the college town fans inherently identify with "their" school and they support it accordingly. Most of the residents of college towns either grew up there are are associated with the university through employment or family members that have attended the school. You just don't see that in large cities where a large percentage of the population have migrated to the city from areas across the country and already have allegiances to other schools.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting discussion on Twitter about UVA. Reminiscent of GT not "playing the game" before NIL, but the NIL game is legal, so...

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
UNC is going to thrash us at McCamish in a couple weeks. The Final Four team had a very strong starting 5 but this team is better and has more depth. Better top to bottom defense too.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UNC is going to thrash us at McCamish in a couple weeks. The Final Four team had a very strong starting 5 but this team is better and has more depth. Better top to bottom defense too.
RJ Davis is also having an All American type season is has to be the early favorite for POTY in the ACC.