ACC 2023-2024

slugboy

Staff member

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No worries, for the selection committee, a loss to a good ACC basketball team just means more..... I've heard that somewhere before.....
LOL. The problem with computer ranking systems is once you get in conference play in BB in a Conference with so many low ranked teams is you really can’t move up unless you beat The teams in the Top 40.

The ACC will be lucky to get 5 teams in the NCAAT this year. Sad that the bad football conference is now a bad basketball conference.

slugboy

Staff member
The ACC KenPom rating is mostly set at a conference level, but it could move up a little because it was lower in the preseason ratings. As those fall off, the conference should move up a bit.

I’m still thinking 6 ACC tournament teams—maybe 7

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Get the crockpot fired up, break out some of your lighter marathon beers, and park yourself in front of the TV for some early afternoon ACC hoops.

12pm: Pitt @ Cuse on the always wild CW Network
12pm: UVA @ ND on ACC Network
2pm: VT @ Wake on ESPN2

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL. The problem with computer ranking systems is once you get in conference play in BB in a Conference with so many low ranked teams is you really can’t move up unless you beat The teams in the Top 40.

The ACC will be lucky to get 5 teams in the NCAAT this year. Sad that the bad football conference is now a bad basketball conference.

But we should be #2 baseball conference with a shot at #1. I don't think we'll get past SEC in baseball again given their NIL.

But in basketball, we'll have to won more, especially on the road, to overcome weak opposition.

Why not? Just need to get more shots to go in. ( tic).

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame hangs 41 on the dreaded Tony Bennett packline defense behind 17 points from JR Konieczny (4-4 from 3) and leads UVA 41-24. I doubt UVA goes quietly in the second half though.

Pitt-Cuse looks very similar to our games. Pitt is dominating the offensive boards but Cuse is hanging in there with steals and live ball takeaways. I think Pitt wins this game - up 5 at the moment with a minute left to go until halftime.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In addition to FSU losing to Lipscomb, UVA failed to break 60 and lost to ND on the road by 22 points. That's ND mind you, with a losing OOC record.
Syracuse outscored Pitt by 13 at the FT line and won by 8 at home.
Midway in the 2nd half Wake is by 25 over VT.

The ACC race looks like it could be a scramble this year.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

The ACC is the bad fan conference. No one will tell you about the bad ACC like an ACC fan.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Two very watchable games tonight:

UNC @ Pitt
Syracuse @ Duke

The betting lines on these two games seem to be flipped. UNC is a 4.5 favorite and Duke is favored by 14.5. Two points to consider: Cuse is a deep team and Duke is playing 6 guys. If this is close at the end Cuse will be dangerous. UNC is tough to beat in a sold-out Smith Center and this game could get away from Pitt early.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Duke was 0-9 in the 1st half from 3-point range last night, but Mark Mitchell owned the lane. In the 2nd half Mitchell returned to his normal imposing self and Duke went 8-8 from three. All the while Cuse was careless with the ball and could not hit threes even when open. I may become one those posters who gripes about officiating at Cameron. It was awful last night. It was not a factor in the outcome, but Cuse was a victim of the Duke officiating curse.

Carlton Carrington scored 20 for Pitt and they lost by 13 to UNC. UNC was not having having a great night shooting or this would have been a blowout. But, Pitt was heaving bricks last night (30% overall and 17% from three).

I did not see any of Wake's six point win at BC.

Our game at FSU is on the ACC Network tonight at 7 PM. This game and the next two (at home) are really big games for us before we crash into Duke (again) and Clemson on the road.