ACC 2023-2024

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After last night I think all doubt about UNC is past. They are the real deal. But, the next three weeks for the Heels should be a challenge: @BC, Wake at home, @FSU and @GT, then Duke and Clemson in CH. We will be their "easy" game in that stretch.

Also, who are these guys wearing FSU uniforms? FSU is playing like the first half of their season didn't happen.

We will need our A game Saturday against UVA. And, I am happy this game is not in Charlottesville. The Jones arena was packed last night for their game with VT with a raucous crowd and that place is always hard for us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Haha did you catch last nights UVA game? Right now that team is a dragon in name on the front of the jersey only. This should be a victory for us, as Connell and myself showed yesterday, they are downright terrible on the road.
I think it's also legit to ask how well we are playing at home. I repeat, we need our A game on Saturday. We are a better team but don't always play up to our ability.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Haha did you catch last nights UVA game? Right now that team is a dragon in name on the front of the jersey only. This should be a victory for us, as Connell and myself showed yesterday, they are downright terrible on the road.
By 9?
Last night 25-18 at the half. They didn’t play well, but VT played even worse and made it easy for them. This game is very winnable. But VA, even when not playing well are competitive enough to win. They do not turn the ball over (7 last night) & have great court vision and passing to guys that are always moving & cutting (18 assists). And they are good defenders who will steal every pass that is not perfect.

GT has the edge on the glass and in transition. VA looked weak getting back and let VT hang around. We cannot afford bad pass turnovers. Staying out of foul trouble and making FT will help. A nice loud home crowd won’t hurt

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think it's also legit to ask how well we are playing at home. I repeat, we need our A game on Saturday. We are a better team but don't always play up to our ability.
Agreed. That Wahoo team is not without talent. This is a real test for NTG as Beekman might be the best perimeter defender in the ACC, averaging nearly three steals per 40. I like our matchups on the wings with Kowacie and Miles presumably on Dunn and McNeeley.

Also of note, UVA got Dante Harris, a Georgetown transfer, back last night after missing ten games with an ankle. Harris has a nice floor game and was a big part of their nice start to the season when they took down a decent Florida team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agreed. That Wahoo team is not without talent. This is a real test for NTG as Beekman might be the best perimeter defender in the ACC, averaging nearly three steals per 40. I like our matchups on the wings with Kowacie and Miles presumably on Dunn and McNeeley.

Also of note, UVA got Dante Harris, a Georgetown transfer, back last night after missing ten games with an ankle. Harris has a nice floor game and was a big part of their nice start to the season when they took down a decent Florida team.
Watching us play is like a bipolar adventure. We look like a tournament team for a while, then, what just happened happens and our lead is gone and we can't even get a good look. Then, we too often allow opposing guards to drive the lane unmolested for layups. I like our guys, but consistency is not part of their DNA. We need to play on Saturday like did Tuesday. To steal a CJP meme, our margin for error is very small.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m still not sure what our ability is. 3 point shooting seemed to be a big difference maker against Clemson but we haven’t proven we can do that consistently. Same is true for rebounding, turnovers and free throw shooting. We always feel like we are hanging on by our fingernails because some phase of our game is undermining our efforts in other areas.

Don’t get me wrong. We are a dangerous team to underestimate but I would love to see what a complete game in all phases would reveal about who we are. My suspicion is that we are still missing a couple of key players for this to be a team that wins consistently.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My opinion only, but this is now a different team that last played at home against ND.

Something clicked and we’ve stopped shooting ourselves in the foot, but the real difference has been defensively. Not to steal from CDS, but the improved D is a result of a more confident offense and making shots.

Over the last two games, against some of the better teams we have faced, both on the road, we’ve played with a high level of confidence and never backed down. Look for that to continue on Saturday.

GT to take another big step forward, especially if there’s energy in the building.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By 9?
Last night 25-18 at the half. They didn’t play well, but VT played even worse and made it easy for them. This game is very winnable. But VA, even when not playing well are competitive enough to win. They do not turn the ball over (7 last night) & have great court vision and passing to guys that are always moving & cutting (18 assists). And they are good defenders who will steal every pass that is not perfect.

GT has the edge on the glass and in transition. VA looked weak getting back and let VT hang around. We cannot afford bad pass turnovers. Staying out of foul trouble and making FT will help. A nice loud home crowd won’t hurt
They’ve lost every road game by double digits. Anything is possible and as P said, they have talent, but this ain’t the same UVA team from the last few years. Primarily because Clark isn’t running the show.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m still not sure what our ability is. 3 point shooting seemed to be a big difference maker against Clemson but we haven’t proven we can do that consistently. Same is true for rebounding, turnovers and free throw shooting. We always feel like we are hanging on by our fingernails because some phase of our game is undermining our efforts in other areas.

Don’t get me wrong. We are a dangerous team to underestimate but I would love to see what a complete game in all phases would reveal about who we are. My suspicion is that we are still missing a couple of key players for this to be a team that wins consistently.
Looks like some nice key players on their way for next season. Watched Mustaf’s OTE v Sutton’s OTE on YouTube. Very impressive players. Also think that unlike previous years, when the portal opens up, CDS will not have to go hunting for best leftovers, but will have some talented guys looking for him.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My opinion only, but this is now a different team that last played at home against ND.

Something clicked and we’ve stopped shooting ourselves in the foot, but the real difference has been defensively. Not to steal from CDS, but the improved D is a result of a more confident offense and making shots.

Over the last two games, against some of the better teams we have faced, both on the road, we’ve played with a high level of confidence and never backed down. Look for that to continue on Saturday.

GT to take another big step forward, especially if there’s energy in the building.
I believe you & I agree about most of this. I hope your open optimism is more justified than my cautious optimism.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny how much fun these threads are after a win.

Can you imagine Clemson fans? They had a comfortable lead several times during the game especially with a couple of minutes left in regulation and even in the first OT.

At home.

And they lost.
Absolutely!!! And except for a few minor criticisms there are no player insults or bashing. Plus nobody calling for the head of CDS or whining about his ACC coaching bona fides. Or if they still are, how nice to know how well the “ignore” button works

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Funny how much fun these threads are after a win.

Can you imagine Clemson fans? They had a comfortable lead several times during the game especially with a couple of minutes left in regulation and even in the first OT.

At home.

And they lost.
Hall fouling Sturdivant on a three point attempt was a stupid play that put us back in the game.