A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
'not sure if it is the same guy y'all are talking about but there was a Darrell Gast who played for Tech during the time Curry was coach

'not sure if it is the same guy y'all are talking about but there was a Darrell Gast who played for Tech during the time Curry was coach

You got it stech. My apologies to Mr. Gast for not spelling his name right. That is who we were talking about.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would “not coach” for $20 million
Of course you would. most of us have been "not coaching"* for free all our lives.

*although we are awfully good out here on the internet at coaching coaches. Too bad that they seem to ignore our collective wisdom. No telling how many more NC's we could have won if only Chan, Paul and Geoff would have discovered this place ;)

Go easy on him...he is either CGC's agent or mom.
Not trying be argumentative, but you and the others that are clearly anti-CGC ask yourself this:

What's so wrong with me & other Fans wanting to see GT FB leave the dark ages and try to play Pwr5 FB the way everyone else does?

What's so horrible about being a cheerleader for the guy that's trying his damn best to make GT FB a "desired destination" for HS Recruits?

Why can't GT be the "go to school" for Recruits here in GA and the surrounding States?

It's almost like most of you guys don't know how to react to GT FB wanting to have "nice things"

I admit I'm a huge fan of CGC because HE HAS A DIFFERENT MINDSET than what our Fanbase has gotten comfortable with

Why can't we all just get behind the new Guy, instead of crapping on him at every opportunity?

What's so wrong with giving this experiment 5 seasons with 4 full Recruiting Classes and then see where we are?

You guys can't have it both ways, you want to hold CGC to an extremely high bar wrt on Field results in yr2, and then you don't allow Roster Mgmt & Processing like the big boys do that expect to see miracles in yr 2 of a Rebuild

Take a side; if you want him to honor the schollies of the previous Guy, then wait until yrs 4-5 before you start complaining, complaining in yr2 AND not allowing CGC access to the same "tools" as all the other Pwr5 HCs is beyond sound reasoning

And stop with the, "but I need to see sound fundamentals"!

When a player is at a huge physical & talent mismatch, that Player will on many occasions look as if he's Playing with poor fundamentals and that the Coach hasn't taught him properly

At game speed the PLAYER is trying his damnedest to succeed, and he knows that the opponent is better than he is, so in an attempt to make FANS like you guys happy and be successful, that Player will cut corners to try an succeed and to the untrained eye you think that he hasn't been properly coached

All Coaches that get to this Level, have trained at the same clinics & coaching camps and they all teach the SAME fundamentals, some are better than others, but the Gap isn't nearly as big as you'd think

Stop complaining and support CGC, you guys sap the energy from Fans trying to enjoy GT FB

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying be argumentative, but you and the others that are clearly anti-CGC ask yourself this:

What's so wrong with me & other Fans wanting to see GT FB leave the dark ages and try to play Pwr5 FB the way everyone else does?

What's so horrible about being a cheerleader for the guy that's trying his damn best to make GT FB a "desired destination" for HS Recruits?

Why can't GT be the "go to school" for Recruits here in GA and the surrounding States?

It's almost like most of you guys don't know how to react to GT FB wanting to have "nice things"

I admit I'm a huge fan of CGC because HE HAS A DIFFERENT MINDSET than what our Fanbase has gotten comfortable with

Why can't we all just get behind the new Guy, instead of crapping on him at every opportunity?

What's so wrong with giving this experiment 5 seasons with 4 full Recruiting Classes and then see where we are?

You guys can't have it both ways, you want to hold CGC to an extremely high bar wrt on Field results in yr2, and then you don't allow Roster Mgmt & Processing like the big boys do that expect to see miracles in yr 2 of a Rebuild

Take a side; if you want him to honor the schollies of the previous Guy, then wait until yrs 4-5 before you start complaining, complaining in yr2 AND not allowing CGC access to the same "tools" as all the other Pwr5 HCs is beyond sound reasoning

When a player is at a huge physical & talent mismatch, that Player will on many occasions look as if he's Playing with poor fundamentals and that the Coach hasn't taught him properly

At game speed the PLAYER is trying his damnedest to succeed, and he knows that the opponent is better than he is, so in an attempt to make FANS like you guys happy and be successful, that Player will cut corners to try an succeed and to the untrained eye you think that he hasn't been properly coached

All Coaches that get to this Level, have trained at the same clinics & coaching camps and they all teach the SAME fundamentals, some are better than others, but the Gap isn't nearly as big as you'd think

Stop complaining and support CGC, you guys sap the energy from Fans trying to enjoy GT FB
Yep. Burner account. Keep posting at a high level chief. Win games.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

I agree with your 8th paragraph.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I used to think why would a guy take a job at school X, Y or Z. But it's turned into a no lose situation. You take that job at Kansas or Rutgers or Oregon State or Vandy, and if you fail, everyone expected it. But you walk away with a lifetime of financial security. If you do well, you leverage to the next rung, where you succeed...or you "fail" like Muschamp has done twice now. I never was terminated (not sure how sometimes) but I cannot imagine that it is unpleasant at all for these guys after a good night's sleep and time to reflect.

I would be very wary of Hugh Freeze

#1 The NCAA will hover around your Program because they know he's a Cheatin' Dirtbag

#2 Judging him at Liberty should be taken with a grain of salt, he's caught lighting in a bottle at a lower level Program that gets fat off of Pwr5 Players that get run off or have to transfer to a lower level (if they're that Talented why do they drop down to an outpost like Liberty?)

#3 What is Freeze's track record as a Recruiter without those 1 or 2 loaded classes that caused the Probation at U Miss?

#4 At south carolina, he still won't out recruit Dabo, Kirby, Saban, Coach O, Mack Brown and all those other guys that dominate Deep South Recruiting, AND we at GT are no longer running an Offense that HS Recruits in GA deemed undesirable, so he'll get less GA HS talent than Muschdawggie

#5 Rarely is the obvious "hot choice" that all the Fans fall in love with, the best choice --- remember all the head scratching when Clemson's AD tapped Dabo for the Ckemson job

#6 we saw Freeze at U Miss, the only thing different at south carolina is that he will have LESS in-State HS Talent to choose from - Mississippi usually has about 4 times as many Pwr5 Level HS Players to Recruit from in an avg yr

#7 not a Freeze Fan the guy is a cheating dirtbag, there are guys just as good without the baggage

#8 my choice would be Fickell at Cincy, unless he thinks he'll get the Michigan job, Fickell is light years better as HC candidate than Freeze

Yep. Burner account. Keep posting at a high level chief. Win games.
I have enough energy & optimism for guys like you

In 2022 you'll look back at your post above and be ashamed that you were able to conjure up such arrogance & smug sarcasm

What you are dreaming & hoping for is never coming back to GT FB, TStan played FB at GT and saw Oregon up close during his time out West, and how they changed how the Country perceived Duck FB

TStan wants to change how the rest of the Country perceives GT FB

You gotta believe Pal, and you gotta think big

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Most Universities don’t care about the baggage. They want to get the next hot name in coaching. It’s been going on before B******L******.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Not trying be argumentative Yes you are.

What's so wrong with me & other Fans wanting to see GT FB leave the dark ages and try to play Pwr5 FB the way everyone else does? You are more concerned with our appearance compared with other teams, the rest of us just want to win.

What's so horrible about being a cheerleader for the guy that's trying his damn best to make GT FB a "desired destination" for HS Recruits? Your refusal to accept the reality that he sucks at some pretty important parts of his job?

Why can't GT be the "go to school" for Recruits here in GA and the surrounding States? It can be, but that requires out-recruiting UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, and Tennessee. Do you believe we can actually out recruit ALL of those teams with our current football budget and academic offerings?

It's almost like most of you guys don't know how to react to GT FB wanting to have "nice things" It's almost like you aren't firmly planted in reality.

Why can't we all just get behind the new Guy, instead of crapping on him at every opportunity? You must be an easy sell at the car lot. Scratches, what scratches, this bad boy has 300 hp! The sunroof leaks? That's just excitement juice pouring in! The gas pedal sticks and the brakes don't work? Not a problem, when people see you coming they'll get out of the way! Come on, you know you want this Camaro!

What's so wrong with giving this experiment 5 seasons with 4 full Recruiting Classes and then see where we are? What's so wrong with pointing out the major issues we are seeing? To continue the car analogy, we hear the engine sputtering and your solution is to turn the music up.

You guys can't have it both ways, you want to hold CGC to an extremely high bar wrt on Field results in yr2 4-5 wins and being somewhat competitive in most games is not an extremely high bar, its a very low bar. If that was the bar given to CPJ he would still be here.

and then you don't allow Roster Mgmt & Processing like the big boys do that expect to see miracles in yr 2 of a Rebuild I'm fine with those things, they didn't ask my opinion though. Again, Geoff is not being asked to perform miracles at all, he's not even meeting his own expectations.

And stop with the, "but I need to see sound fundamentals"! Keep turning the radio up, I'm sure that'll fix the problem

UCF, Syracuse, and Boston College were not huge talent mismatches. Temple, Virginia tech, and Pitt are not huge talent mismatches. The Citadel WAS a huge talent mismatch in our favor, and Geoff still couldn't pull it off.

What the hell are you seeing right now that you enjoy? We are terrible in nearly all aspects of the game.

You are being willfully ignorant in hopes of success and upset that the rest of us have our eyes open and can see what is going on.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What the hell are you seeing right now that you enjoy?

Football. Occasionally. ;)

I understand how angry people are. I used to feel that way myself. However, at some point I realized I had no control over any part of it (despite my meager donations) and I was either going to change the way I looked at it or move on to other things that did give me enjoyment. At my age, I realize that my time here is not infinite and I want to maximize how I spend it.

So, I am willing to sit tight and buy the epic transition narrative until year 5. Because he is going to be here that long. You can either accept that yourself or gnash your teeth until the year the year 2023 (at the minimum, depends on whether anymore FB is played this year) or 2024. It really is a choice that one can make.

Deleted member 2897

go easy on him. He can’t put down CPJs burner phone. He’s either CPJs agent or mom.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whether the CGC era turns out to be good in terms of wins/losses, there's one thing I'm glad CGC has settled: Recruiting. This staff has proven that GT can recruit in the top 25, and possibly higher. In fact, we can start winning and going to higher tier bowls, I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibilities that GT can recruit in the top 15-20. It's been done before.

I hope to NEVER hear another GT fan bring up "STEM", calculus, narrow curriculums...we've all heard the excuses, and know what they are. We've heard it for the past decade. Yes, they are factors for some recruits, but not insurmountable that it would hold GT from having regular top 20-30 recruiting classes.

CGC is proving that. Now CGC needs to prove he can win 8+ games a year and make us regular Coastal division and ACC title contenders. That is ultimately what will decide whether the CGC era is successful.

Milwaukee

Banned
Whether the CGC era turns out to be good in terms of wins/losses, there's one thing I'm glad CGC has settled: Recruiting. This staff has proven that GT can recruit in the top 25, and possibly higher. In fact, we can start winning and going to higher tier bowls, I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibilities that GT can recruit in the top 15-20. It's been done before.

I hope to NEVER hear another GT fan bring up "STEM", calculus, narrow curriculums...we've all heard the excuses, and know what they are. We've heard it for the past decade. Yes, they are factors for some recruits, but not insurmountable that it would hold GT from having regular top 20-30 recruiting classes.

CGC is proving that. Now CGC needs to prove he can win 8+ games a year and make us regular Coastal division and ACC title contenders. That is ultimately what will decide whether the CGC era is successful.
This might be the best post in Swarm history. Well done Techster.
1605534790987.gif

Ok here it is....do the year end and year out failure for USC to really matter and for what ever reason they have never been a recruiting power house...they decide to bring terror to the SEC. CPJ sitting home is tired of reading comments about him on the Swarm and goes to USC to prove he can do it again.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
This might be the best post in Swarm history. Well done Techster.
View attachment 9459
I used to think that way, but the closer or more personal things get, like having your kids play for these programs just for sports, (thinking in hind site) after seeing these young men walking the streets after being used up, with no jobs no degree ; its hits home. College sports is such a short lived time, I see a lot of these players I coached come home with no immediate future. Basically the majority of these scholarship athletes don't last the 4 years at one school. So what's being scarified. Coaches earning millions and Kids getting evaluated and tossed aside if they don't perform. Go recruiting!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I used to think that way, but the closer or more personal things get, like having your kids play for these programs just for sports, (thinking in hind site) after seeing these young men walking the streets after being used up, with no jobs no degree ; its hits home. College sports is such a short lived time, I see a lot of these players I coached come home with no immediate future. Basically the majority of these scholarship athletes don't last the 4 years at one school. So what's being scarified. Coaches earning millions and Kids getting evaluated and tossed aside if they don't perform. Go recruiting!!
Since you have seen it firsthand, what would you change about the process? I think easing up on the transfer rules is a big step in the right direction.