A Message our Players (Reposted from the other site.)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We are. We have to leave the era of FCS football first, which is going to take a year. But, we were SoCon champs a few years ago, I think.

Good thing we never had a losing season under PJ. Or, never had a season with only one FBS win. Then you would really be pissed.

Oh wait....

We never had a season with only one fbs win. The slight you are looking for is one power 5 win. But that was a 9th ranked fsu. Troll ranking: incomplete juice.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what prompted the tweet, but as I recall during the summer, there were high expectations from this board. And I believe from the players. Personally, I expected 6-6.

Now, anyone who questions the teams performance is now a hater. And a "bad" fan.

As a team, they have to stay positive and work to get better. As a player you really have no choice but to focus on getting better and improving every day.

Does that mean as fans we have to be satisfied by the performance this year?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wins and losses are irrelevant right now. The fans have to accept where we are. The players have which is why they are playing hard. Whether you like Collins or not is moot. He was hired for one reason - to recruit. It will take two years to turn over the roster and get in bigger bodies along the Offensive and Defensive lines along with depth. That is the ball game. If you are worried about the outcome of any game left in 2019 you will be disappointed. We simply do not have the line depth to compete for 60 minutes.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what prompted the tweet, but as I recall during the summer, there were high expectations from this board. And I believe from the players. Personally, I expected 6-6.

Now, anyone who questions the teams performance is now a hater. And a "bad" fan.

As a team, they have to stay positive and work to get better. As a player you really have no choice but to focus on getting better and improving every day.

We had high expectations because we are fans and we want to believe. Same for the players. They have to believe they can win every time they put on the pads. Its the only way to play. But, Virtually everyone who analyzes college football for a living, including former coaches, said we were in for a rough, rough season. Many predicted one or two wins.

I think it is fine to question coaching, decisions, play calls, etc, but to judge the whole thing a failure at this stage, given the full context of what our team is going through? Yeah, bad fandom.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

Realistic expectations must be adjusted when you get to the point where inexperienced walk ons are starting on an already-depleted OL

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How do you explain the D so bad?

Depends on how u evaluate. The d is not worse than last year and lost 9 players. And our offense leaves em 2x more exposed. I see improvements on d. But of course the statistic crowd will spew the hate.

So for me sure they have their issues. But i can see its better in areas for sure. The front 7 is no good. Its way better coached imo. Its a team game both have to help each other.

I believe we are close to putting it together

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am disappointed we arent further along there. Clayton and Adams would have made a difference. Man, this team has been through a lot.

I think as the offense does more the d will be helped. But the d also has to maintain intensity.

The coverage and alot of the d playing is far more sound than in the past but its statistically similar.

But yeah we need help too with players. We dont have one kid recruited since attachou that can rush. Kinda sad

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
We are. We have to leave the era of FCS football first, which is going to take a year. But, we were SoCon champs a few years ago, I think.

Good thing we never had a losing season under PJ. Or, never had a season with only one FBS win. Then you would really be pissed.

Oh wait....
I get your point, but we never had a season with one FBS win under CPJ.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
We had high expectations because we are fans and we want to believe. Same for the players. They have to believe they can win every time they put on the pads. Its the only way to play. But, Virtually everyone who analyzes college football for a living, including former coaches, said we were in for a rough, rough season. Many predicted one or two wins.

I think it is fine to question coaching, decisions, play calls, etc, but to judge the whole thing a failure at this stage, given the full context of what our team is going through? Yeah, bad fandom.

How often were the prognosticators wrong about Tech? But that is not the point of this post.

Still not sure about being a hater or bad fandom.

As a fan, I "hate' it when Tech loses. I hate it when my family sits in blistering noon games and sees Tech lose to a team with less talented players. I hate it when players give their heart, soul and body to win a game and come up short. I hate it when officials blow calls. I hate it when coaches mess up.

I think all of us hate to lose.

I don't think that makes fans haters or bad fans when we discuss Tech football and complain about a 1-5 season so far.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
What is the point of accepting poor coaching? Was is the point of accepting hype with no substance? Fake claims not supported by facts?

I thought we were in the era of "Big boy football"

Big boy football doesn't come with lesser recruits. As much as we love our guys half of them wouldn't touch the field at factory schools.

If you expected 4 wins this season I feel bad for you. This will take 3-5 years. But not to be a 7 win team to be a 10-11 win team every year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
How often were the prognosticators wrong about Tech? But that is not the point of this post.

Still not sure about being a hater or bad fandom.

As a fan, I "hate' it when Tech loses. I hate it when my family sits in blistering noon games and sees Tech lose to a team with less talented players. I hate it when players give their heart, soul and body to win a game and come up short. I hate it when officials blow calls. I hate it when coaches mess up.

I think all of us hate to lose.

I don't think that makes fans haters or bad fans when we discuss Tech football and complain about a 1-5 season so far.

There is complaining that is understandable in a bad season and then there is complaining on a whole other level that I dont find reasonable, under the circumstances. But thats just my take.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Being detached from reality is what makes people bad fans, also it makes them delusional.

We made a decision as a program to move in a radically different direction on ALL sides of the ball and with almost every aspect of how we go about the business of playing football. At this point in the season you can choose to focus on whatever you want to, but picking the W/L column in doing to make you a pretty unhappy person.

Regardless of the measuring stick you decide to use there are still young men out there fighting and bleeding for the Institute. We would all do well to remember that before we run off and type our manifesto about self-loathing and apathy.

It can be surprising when a 19 year old kid who is stuck in the thick of this has a better attitude and clearer perspective than that of adults who watch from afar.

Go jackets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk