A Message our Players (Reposted from the other site.)

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw that when looking up the data I posted. Well I actually looked at scoring plays. 2018 wouldn’t fit into “bullied,” but I would put 2017 in that category. It’s essentially what happened this weekend with the halves reversed.

To act like Duke hasn’t owned us since breaking their 10 year drought against us in 2014 is ignoring facts. I wasn’t defending what happened on Saturday, but replying to the poster who made it seem like this was something new.
Are we looking at the same plots for 2019 & 2017? In 2019 the win % was in Duke's favor the entire game, although that's strange since GT was the first to score a TD. In 2017, GT had the higher win probability for the entire 1st half and then it tanked pretty drastically starting the 2nd half. It would not surprise me if GT suffered injury(ies) around then.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
The audible was quite clearly a nod or tribute of sorts, I thought. All coaches talk about bringing a new culture, as is their right and responsibility when they get hired: to bring in their own schemes and set their own culture and vision for the program.

I doubt Paul has hurt fee' fee's about any of this.
I was there. I didn't really take it as a tribute.

In any event, I just wish he would cut all that stuff out. And in some ways, I am encouraged because it seems like he has toned a lot of it down. I'm willing to give him time for the product he puts on the field. I get that we need to change OL scheme, need players that fit his system, etc. Its the other stuff that is annoying.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Are we looking at the same plots for 2019 & 2017? In 2019 the win % was in Duke's favor the entire game, although that's strange since GT was the first to score a TD. In 2017, GT had the higher win probability for the entire 1st half and then it tanked pretty drastically starting the 2nd half. It would not surprise me if GT suffered injury(ies) around then.

Is this a joke? Are we really arguing CPJ's loss is better than CGC's loss because his win probability was higher for a longer time? We lost both games and have lost 4 out of the last 5. lol. If CGC maintains this level of football then he will be fired.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I was there too and saw nothing wrong with it. Usually people who get offended are looking to be offended. You seem to not like CGC and that shades your opinion.
I will admit that I am still a CGC skeptic, but I don't have problem with it. I viewed it more as a symbolic changing of the guard...

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Recent History of GT vs Duke:

2019: Duke wins 41-23. We score a “meaningless” td in 4th.
2018: Duke wins 28-14. 28-7 until we score a “meaningless” td with more than half of the 4 quarter gone.
2017: Duke wins 43-20. Title on ESPN “Duke snaps 6 game skid.”
2016: GT wins 38-35. JT has 459 yards of total O. Duke puts up 559 yards on us.
2015: Duke wins 34-20. We get 3 turnovers and still can’t win.
2014 (our best season in decades): Duke wins 31-25.

Can you please explain how this year vs. Duke is any different from all the previous 5 games against them (save the game JT put on his cape and single handedly willed us to win the game)?

You may not like the term “bullied,” but what happened this past Saturday has been happening for years when we’ve played Duke. While I don’t like it, I’m not going to pretend like this is something unique to this team or staff.

You can discredit it if you like, but after getting “bullied” in the first half, the defense held Duke to 5 punts and a FG in the 2nd half. That’s a pretty good adjustment IMO.

During recent years, ESPN game summaries have a win probability graph throughout the duration of the game. It conveys a general sense of how this year's Duke game was different from the previous.
2019: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112480
2018: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013145
2017: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937522
2016: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869474
2015/2014: N/A

I saw that when looking up the data I posted. Well I actually looked at scoring plays. 2018 wouldn’t fit into “bullied,” but I would put 2017 in that category. It’s essentially what happened this weekend with the halves reversed.

To act like Duke hasn’t owned us since breaking their 10 year drought against us in 2014 is ignoring facts. I wasn’t defending what happened on Saturday, but replying to the poster who made it seem like this was something new.

Is this a joke? Are we really arguing CPJ's loss is better than CGC's loss because his win probability was higher for a longer time? We lost both games and have lost 4 out of the last 5. lol. If CGC maintains this level of football then he will be fired.
n/t

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

If you flipped the halves of both games the win % would look very similar. This year we were first to score in the 2nd half and outscored Duke 10-7. Very similar to the first half of the 2017 game. Duke Dominated the first half this year and the 2nd half in 2017.

Both GT teams played well in one half and were dominated in the other half. It doesn’t really matter though. Duke has owned us for several years now. I’m hopeful that will change soon.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

I know what games you’re talking about.

Are you telling me that if we were winning 10-7 at half against Duke this year (holding them to 5 punts and a fg) that the win % wouldn’t be in our favor? Then we would have scored on our first possession in the 2nd half and been up 17-3.

Or that if we were down 23-0 at half in 2017 the win % wouldn’t be drastically in Duke’s favor?

That is what it would look like if you flipped the halves in each game. Both ended in a blowout so I don’t see why it matters if we were in the game longer in one game.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow

Are you telling me that if we were winning 10-7 at half against Duke this year (holding them to 5 punts and a fg) that the win % wouldn’t be in our favor? Then we would have scored on our first possession in the 2nd half and been up 17-3.

Or that if we were down 23-0 at half in 2017 the win % wouldn’t be drastically in Duke’s favor?

That is what it would look like if you flipped the halves in each game. Both ended in a blowout so I don’t see why it matters if we were in the game longer in one game.
I would upload a screenshot, but I don't think attachments are supported here. From a desktop browser, on the left column below the "Game Leaders" box, there's a box titled "Win Probability". Those are the plots I've been talking about since my first post in this thread.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I would upload a screenshot, but I don't think attachments are supported here. From a desktop browser, on the left column below the "Game Leaders" box, there's a box titled "Win Probability". Those are the plots I've been talking about since my first post in this thread.

I know what you’re talking about. My point is that those plots would look the same but in reverse if you flipped the 1st and 2nd half of each game.

The overall point is that we were blown out in both games. It doesn’t really matter if the game was over in the 2nd quarter or end of the 3rd quarter. The fact that we’re going back and forth on the severity of a blowout loss to Duke is depressing so I will just leave it here.

Hopefully we continue to improve offensively the rest of the year and pull out another win or two! I see glimmers of hope. If we can put together two halves like the last two 2nd halves we will be okay. Not great, but solid.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I know what you’re talking about. My point is that those plots would look the same but in reverse if you flipped the 1st and 2nd half of each game.

The overall point is that we were blown out in both games. It doesn’t really matter if the game was over in the 2nd quarter or end of the 3rd quarter. The fact that we’re going back and forth on the severity of a blowout loss to Duke is depressing so I will just leave it here.

Hopefully we continue to improve offensively the rest of the year and pull out another win or two! I see glimmers of hope. If we can put together two halves like the last two 2nd halves we will be okay. Not great, but solid.
... they don't look anywhere close to the same. Roughly, one plot shows a horizontal line and the other is a step function centered at halftime. My point from the beginning was to address your question about what the difference between this year's Duke game and previous years. If I were to describe a blowout, a horizontal line as a win percentage plot might be it. Since ESPN started plotting these charts back in 2016, GT vs Duke series has only had one: this year. No need to make the past more "depressing" than it actually was.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
... they don't look anywhere close to the same. Roughly, one plot shows a horizontal line and the other is a step function centered at halftime. My point from the beginning was to address your question about what the difference between this year's Duke game and previous years. If I were to describe a blowout, a horizontal line as a win percentage plot might be it. Since ESPN started plotting these charts back in 2016, GT vs Duke series has only had one: this year. No need to make the past more "depressing" than it actually was.

If you want to think a 43-20 loss to a Duke team that had lost 6 games in a row is way better than what happened this year more power to you.

One was with a coach with all his players in his 9th season and the 3rd loss out of the last 4 tries against Duke. The other was with a coach in his first year, with a completely new scheme, and almost none of his players. I think both are terrible, but if I had to pick one of the two, I’d prefer the 2nd option. That at least leaves hope.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Recent History of GT vs Duke:

2019: Duke wins 41-23. We score a “meaningless” td in 4th.
2018: Duke wins 28-14. 28-7 until we score a “meaningless” td with more than half of the 4 quarter gone.
2017: Duke wins 43-20. Title on ESPN “Duke snaps 6 game skid.”
2016: GT wins 38-35. JT has 459 yards of total O. Duke puts up 559 yards on us.
2015: Duke wins 34-20. We get 3 turnovers and still can’t win.
2014 (our best season in decades): Duke wins 31-25.

Can you please explain how this year vs. Duke is any different from all the previous 5 games against them (save the game JT put on his cape and single handedly willed us to win the game)?

You may not like the term “bullied,” but what happened this past Saturday has been happening for years when we’ve played Duke. While I don’t like it, I’m not going to pretend like this is something unique to this team or staff.

You can discredit it if you like, but after getting “bullied” in the first half, the defense held Duke to 5 punts and a FG in the 2nd half. That’s a pretty good adjustment IMO.

During recent years, ESPN game summaries have a win probability graph throughout the duration of the game. It conveys a general sense of how this year's Duke game was different from the previous.
2019: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112480
2018: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013145
2017: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937522
2016: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869474
2015/2014: N/A

If you flipped the halves of both games the win % would look very similar. This year we were first to score in the 2nd half and outscored Duke 10-7. Very similar to the first half of the 2017 game. Duke Dominated the first half this year and the 2nd half in 2017.

Both GT teams played well in one half and were dominated in the other half. It doesn’t really matter though. Duke has owned us for several years now. I’m hopeful that will change soon.

If you want to think a 43-20 loss to a Duke team that had lost 6 games in a row is way better than what happened this year more power to you.

One was with a coach with all his players in his 9th season and the 3rd loss out of the last 4 tries against Duke. The other was with a coach in his first year, with a completely new scheme, and almost none of his players. I think both are terrible, but if I had to pick one of the two, I’d prefer the 2nd option. That at least leaves hope.