A Message our Players (Reposted from the other site.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think it is interesting that some of the same people who spent the last several years complaining about fans accepting mediocrity are now saying we just need to accept current results as the best they can be.

In 2008, GT was predicted to only win 3 games. We ended the season beating georgie for our ninth win. Obviously, we had great talent from the 2007 class. However, we also had a coach who grabbed players by their face masks. Was CPJ's negativity part of our success? Can negativity motivate improvement at times?

Since the "hate" of bringing the facts of defensive statistics into the discussion was mentioned earlier, last year our D allowed 2.97 ppd to pwr5 opponents. In our 3 Pwr5 games this year, we've allowed 3.28 ppd.

Still, I recognize that for some, it's not about the win (sic) and losses. It's not about being the worst team in the ACC in offense, defense, and the scoreboard. It's about the joy of not having to see our offense line up in the flexbone. So, with that in mind, the rest of us should stop being negative.

With that being said, I will say that I like some of what I've seen from our defense and our offense. I haven't broken down every play from every drive, so I don't know how much is on execution and how much is on play-calls. For example, on a 4th and 3 play, either the right tackle or tight end or somebody seemed to pull and go inside in order to block, leaving two edge rushers unblocked on their way to our QB. Was that part of the play-call or player-error, I don't know. It's really hard to know what to expect since our coordinators have no experience at the Pwr5 level. I am still hopeful that we can turn it around, but I don't have much to base it on.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think it is interesting that some of the same people who spent the last several years complaining about fans accepting mediocrity are now saying we just need to accept current results as the best they can be.

In 2008, GT was predicted to only win 3 games. We ended the season beating georgie for our ninth win. Obviously, we had great talent from the 2007 class. However, we also had a coach who grabbed players by their face masks. Was CPJ's negativity part of our success? Can negativity motivate improvement at times?

Since the "hate" of bringing the facts of defensive statistics into the discussion was mentioned earlier, last year our D allowed 2.97 ppd to pwr5 opponents. In our 3 Pwr5 games this year, we've allowed 3.28 ppd.

Still, I recognize that for some, it's not about the win (sic) and losses. It's not about being the worst team in the ACC in offense, defense, and the scoreboard. It's about the joy of not having to see our offense line up in the flexbone. So, with that in mind, the rest of us should stop being negative.

With that being said, I will say that I like some of what I've seen from our defense and our offense. I haven't broken down every play from every drive, so I don't know how much is on execution and how much is on play-calls. For example, on a 4th and 3 play, either the right tackle or tight end or somebody seemed to pull and go inside in order to block, leaving two edge rushers unblocked on their way to our QB. Was that part of the play-call or player-error, I don't know. It's really hard to know what to expect since our coordinators have no experience at the Pwr5 level. I am still hopeful that we can turn it around, but I don't have much to base it on.

No argument from me that trolls from the past seem to continue their trolly ways in the present. My larger point was I greatly enjoyed the last decade of CPJ. I learned the concepts of an unique and impressive scheme that I whole heartedly believe was the differentiation that led us to the success we had despite the funding challenges we placed on ourselves. For a long time there was a loud contingent of our fan base who believed recruiting and hype were needed to turn the corner from the strong, but not dominate ACC force that we were.

Well, we turned the corner all right, just unfortunately went backwards this year. I think it is an interesting experiment to go from a team who eschewed the recruiting circus and instead relied on scheme to one who is fairly identity-less on scheme and all about the jimmies and joes. We got about a perfect 180 in coaching philosophies and time will tell the wisdom of that decision but the time hasn’t come yet.

To steal an analogy from the dining world we got tired of the local Italian place that served our favorite chicken pesto dish and splurged on the new trendy Italian spot and ordered a 7 course meal. We payed for those seven courses, so there isn’t any sense judging the place halfway through the amuse-bouche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
smokey, thanks for your response. Not sure what level my complaining has attained, but I am very disappointed in the season so far.

midtown, I am not sure why you would find it delusional for fans to complain about the worst season in decades. (So far, things could turn around and I would gladly eat my words)

For me the reality is Tech hired a new head coach. TStan hired a high energy guy who said all the right words about recruiting and the Institute. I have enjoyed the new intensity CGC brings. I have enjoyed the Waffle House Wednesdays. The intensity in recruiting.

However, I believe Tech hired him to win football games. The W/L record is the focus of sports and the measure of the coach. BTW, I am actually a happy person without self loathing and apathy.

I agree that the new staff had a great deal to overcome, but giving a pass is a disservice to the players who are out there fighting in my opinion.

Go Jackets

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
in my seat i see a team with o and l lines that rank DEAD LAST compared to all our opponents. could it be cpj retired rather than face another loosing season? our recruiting was declining.......if you want better coachin either pony up or watch those ''undefeated'' dwags. they have the best team and coaching....$$$$$$$ can buy!!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
How do you explain the D so bad?
Here’s my take on our Defense.
Looking at our LBs first the only true player at LB we have right now that was LB in Highschool was Quez Jackson. Curry is a converted Safety, Charlie is a converted Safety, Bruce is a converted RB. You can just tell by their first steps, how they play their gap when guards pull etc. that most of our Linebackers are fish out of water. The tackling is much improved and the biggest positive for our football team overall right now. Sadly it’s just a case of a bunch of guys being out of position.
As for the secondary, I think we have seen a lot of teams change their game plans while playing Tech who is a predominantly Man Coverage team. Most teams don’t come out firing against Tech but they have all went to the run game early on to set up play action and give them chances to throw on second and short. What really kills man coverage though is a QB having time to allow his receivers to free style and break off their routes to make plays. What gives the receivers times to do that is lack of Pressure from our DL. I think our secondary showed what it can be but it’s going to take the DL getting to the QB and slowing down the run game eliminating play action for us to truly have an elite secondary.
As far as DL, I’m not sure a 5 man team of the best NFL DL coaches could turn our DL around without 2-3 recruiting classes... IIWII

LibertyTurns

Banned
You get what I mean. The Collins Club here talks about poor talent constantly. You think Tariq likes people calling his teammates poor talent?
Not saying this is all “Collins Club” yapping, but if I was Tariq I’d get tired of hearing people yammering about how bad he & the rest of his teammates suck.

However, I don’t think people want to acknowledge just how poor our talent was/is in comparison to our competition.

In two years we will have mostly Collins’ players instead of Johnson’s players and the team will be greatly improved.

I didn't whine about PJ's last season, but I understand the current situation.... and I'm not laughing. I have been watching Tech football now for over 70 years. I've seen the good and the bad. Collins and his staff are doing the best they can with what they have.

I am shocked that many Tech fans can't see or accept the reality that our roster was not going to cut it this year from a talent perspective.

I think you are seeing why Paul decided it was time to close the store. I think he knew we were in for a tough season based on who he had left on the roster and the overall surround of the situation.

The best thing can happen is mass attrition

Yeah. We are failing the eyeball test in terms of size, strength, speed...badly...against Duke. Gotta keep it real.

You say the defense should not be that much worse, but have you considered that we lost 9 starters from a defense that was not that deep and not that good?

The cupboard is bare at critical positions. That's not Collins' fault.

If we're only as bad as last year, I don't think you can lay that at CGC's feet.

That’s the issue. This roster is closer Navy than a Top 25 program as it should be.

Animal02

Banned
Big boy football doesn't come with lesser recruits. As much as we love our guys half of them wouldn't touch the field at factory schools.

If you expected 4 wins this season I feel bad for you. This will take 3-5 years. But not to be a 7 win team to be a 10-11 win team every year.
And again this is Bull. There is absolutely no reason for us accept 1-11, 2-10 ithe hope for something better.....and it is shear fantasy believing we will ever consistently win 10-11 games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And again this is Bull. There is absolutely no reason for us accept 1-11, 2-10 ithe hope for something better.....and it is shear fantasy believing we will ever consistently win 10-11 games.

10-11 wins consistently is pie-in-the-sky, but a consistent 8-9 is a reasonable hope.

What is unreasonable is seeing the vast depletion of our offensive and defensive lines and thinking we should go bowling this year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what prompted the tweet, but as I recall during the summer, there were high expectations from this board. And I believe from the players. Personally, I expected 6-6.

Now, anyone who questions the teams performance is now a hater. And a "bad" fan.

As a team, they have to stay positive and work to get better. As a player you really have no choice but to focus on getting better and improving every day.

Does that mean as fans we have to be satisfied by the performance this year?

Reality is not the same as negativity. Players and coaches can be criticized for missing assignments and calling bad plays. Just like fans can be called out for not donating or being loud.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I want better “fans”. The program should have better more informed ones.

You and @Ibeeballin may be the only people in the world who think we have worse talent than the Citadel.

Again, our top 3 coaches:
HC - 2 yrs exp, none at Pwr5, best record was 2 fewer wins than each of the team's 2 previous years
DC: 1 yr exp, with same HC
OC: 11 yr exp, 2 at FBS Grp5, with same HC

Given what our coaching staff looks like on paper, blaming our players should not be the first move.