A look at offensive line recruiting

Deleted member 2897

Back to the original topic, I admit to not reading the entire thread. But our offensive linemen live on a different aisle of the grocery store than most. That’s why a 4-star lineman like Parker or Shanire can be good, but so can a 2-star like Shaq or Kenny Cooper or Jahaziel Lee can be good too.

Why are you taking the sides of ignorant fans of Syracuse or Kentucky over us? Why do you care what other ignorant people think? GOOD LORD MAN.

Why do I owe an apology to TheSilasSonRising, or you for that matter?

You owe an apology to @TheSilasSonRising for calling him ignorant when he was actually correct about Coach Sewak. Reading Comprehension - research and learn it.

Also Not sure how you leaped from me "not signing up to SYR and KY message boards" as "taking their sides" but you don't seem to be very interested in accuracy about anything - only in defending this coach and his scheme from all of their deserved criticism. The good news is that the numbers of fans like you are dwindling with every loss.

Deleted member 2897

You owe an apology to @TheSilasSonRising for calling him ignorant when he was actually correct about Coach Sewak. Reading Comprehension - research and learn it.

Also Not sure how you leaped from me "not signing up to SYR and KY message boards" as "taking their sides" but you don't seem to be very interested in accuracy about anything - only in defending this coach and his scheme from all of their deserved criticism. The good news is that the numbers of fans like you are dwindling with every loss.

Where did I defend the coach? Where did I say he was ignorant about Sewak? Why are you putting all these words in my mouth?

What I said was that cut blocking is neither illegal, or dirty, or dangerous. If you choose to believe other people who think and say that and not push back, that’s on you. It doesnt make them right. If you or them have evidence to the contrary, we’re all ears. But until then, perpetuating false myths is not productive. And ignorance about all this is in fact the correct term for those people...because they don’t know the truth.

Out of your very mouths was directly accusing our coach of being dirty. That’s ridiculous.

Where did I defend the coach? Where did I say he was ignorant about Sewak? Why are you putting all these words in my mouth?

Good lord, it's on page 4. It's just a few responses ago in this very thread.

This may be one of the most ignorant, incorrect, and insulting posts I've read in awhile.

you typed in direct response to Silas's accurate Sewak observational post above it.

What I said was that cut blocking is neither illegal, or dirty, or dangerous. If you choose to believe other people who think and say that and not push back, that’s on you. It doesnt make them right. If you or them have evidence to the contrary, we’re all ears. But until then, perpetuating false myths is not productive. And ignorance about all this is in fact the correct term for those people...because they don’t know the truth.

Out of your very mouths was directly accusing our coach of being dirty. That’s ridiculous.

If you choose to not believe it and push back, that's on you. It doesn't make you right. The fact that it's more than one coach & school lends credibility to the claim. I've provided evidence but your reading comprehension skills are clearly lacking, as evidenced by your refusal to even own what you typed to Silas just a few responses ago, on page 4.

I don't think your bias allows you to give an accurate assessment of anything about our football team at this point.

Deleted member 2897

Good lord, it's on page 4. It's just a few responses ago in this very thread.

you typed in direct response to Silas's accurate Sewak observational post above it.

If you choose to not believe it and push back, that's on you. It doesn't make you right. The fact that it's more than one coach & school lends credibility to the claim. I've provided evidence but your reading comprehension skills are clearly lacking, as evidenced by your refusal to even own what you typed to Silas just a few responses ago, on page 4.

I don't think your bias allows you to give an accurate assessment of anything about our football team at this point.

I’ve soecifically stated twice very clearly what my beef is. I can’t say it any more clearly than that. So I’ll say it a third time - cut blocking is neither illegal, nor dangerous, nor dirty. Silas specifically said CPJ taught dirty football. That’s the post I replied to.

Anybody who thinks cut blocking is illegal or dangerous or dirty is ignorant. They’re also a ****ty Georgia Tech fan.

You say I have reading comprehension issues, but here is the full post I replied to:
“Excellent research.

It is also tough when they are coached by a guy teaching dirty techniques, and that guy has no worries about accountability or results.”

That speaks for itself. You’re way off in left field.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
If cut blocking was so dangerous we wouldn't be able to field a defense at the end of spring and fall camp every year considering the 1s play against the 1s most of camp, but yet somehow we had our full dline for game 1. The thing that is dangerous about the cut blocking is where the d linemen will try to grab the olinemen trying to get to the 2nd level. That's teaching your players dangerous football and can result in awful injuries for the player and that's on that's teams coaching staff for putting their play in that position.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The thing that is dangerous about the cut blocking is where the d linemen will try to grab the olinemen trying to get to the 2nd level.

I’ve heard this before but I don’t quite get it. So one of our O-linemen is assigned to block a linebacker, for example. On the way to his assignment, a D-lineman holds him. So are you saying that the D-lineman that is holding could be cut blocked by a different O-lineman which would result in an injury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

I’ve heard this before but I don’t quite get it. So one of our O-linemen is assigned to block a linebacker, for example. On the way to his assignment, a D-lineman holds him. So are you saying that the D-lineman that is holding could be cut blocked by a different O-lineman which would result in an injury?

Yes. Clemson does this at times (holding), and complains about it (getting chop blocked). When they hold a DL, it stalls out that DL and it makes them look engaged while they are getting cut at the same time. Our first DL wasn’t engaging, he was trying to squirt through to the second level. But it makes it look like a chop block. The DL isn’t paying attention and cut blocks can indeed be dangerous in those situations.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Clemson does this at times (holding), and complains about it (getting chop blocked). When they hold a DL, it stalls out that DL and it makes them look engaged while they are getting cut at the same time. Our first DL wasn’t engaging, he was trying to squirt through to the second level. But it makes it look like a chop block. The DL isn’t paying attention and cut blocks can indeed be dangerous in those situations.

Thanks.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
agreed. He still thinks a GSU/Navy smallish brand of football can win at this level. Worse, he seems determined to prove that it can, all evidence to the contrary
I love our OLine...it's my favorite position to watch...our guys are very good there is just not enough of them! I wish we would stop obsessing over A backs and stack up on OLine depth...they are the engine that make the train roll...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
because you're just wrong. We're not cheap. We don't do anything illegal or even on the fringe. We do ON MOST EVERY PLAY what most teams do on SELECTIVE PLAYS. That's why teams practice against cutting. It's the primary blocking technique for certain positions, not just a potential blocking technique. Teams spend off-seasons practicing against us because we're an option team not because of our blocking techniques. It's about maintaining discipline because that's the only way to counter the option, focusing on only your job.
I am still trying to understand why you think I am wrong for saying GT is not a dirty program. Is your belief that the cut block is dirty or that we are using it incorrectly? I honestly don't understand.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am still trying to understand why you think I am wrong for saying GT is not a dirty program. Is your belief that the cut block is dirty or that we are using it incorrectly? I honestly don't understand.

I have been reading both your posts and have come to the conclusion that both you AND @forensicbuzz are actually in agreement on this issue. Sometimes, in the responses to others, things get confused. I know it's happened to me before.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I have been reading both your posts and have come to the conclusion that both you AND @forensicbuzz are actually in agreement on this issue. Sometimes, in the responses to others, things get confused. I know it's happened to me before.
That's why I was so confused. He was telling me I'm wrong and I have been posting links this whole thread highlighting how we are not alone in our use of cut blocking. I had thought he felt similar, so hearing him tell me I was wrong took me back a bit.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For example, to call @TheSilasSonRising an idiot who said that Sewak coaches "without worrying about results or accountability" really makes you look stupid, since our blocking has always sucked yet Sewak manages to survive year after year, without any other school trying to lure him away. That poster is right - Sewak is a bad coach and our blocking efforts are a reflection of that. Thinking otherwise is extremely ignorant and anyone who does think otherwise simply has the GT Blinders on too tightly.
Now, now. There are a variety of reasons that Sewak continues to be our OL coach (or one of them, at least).We fans tend to get mad when Coach gets on the OLs case, "It must be Seawak's fault! Even CPJ sees it!"

Problem = Coach is always on the OLs case. In fact, he's never been satisfied with our blocking and, over the years, it is perhaps his most frequent complaint about the team. My guess is that this is because our blocking schemes are complex and we change them regularly for the same play as the D changes how it is playing us. It is no wonder that the OLs miss assignments when they change regularly during the game. This goes with the territory in our O; the only way it works is to change how the plays are blocked. This is one reason for recruiting OLs who have played in the O in high school. (And that, btw, is one reason for the offers they get from power teams; we want them but other teams are mainly looking for zone blockers.) This is also why development - particularly for converted DLs - takes longer then we might prefer.

So why keep Sewak? First, he's a former head coach and a successful one (35 - 14 overall) so he's easier for a head coach to relate to when it comes to overall goals. Second, he's a decent recruiter and has good contacts around the South. Third - and, I think, the most important - when he has good material, he creates good lines. This isn't always the case, of course, but when he has the troops and they keep healthy enough to develop unit consistency - unlike the last two years - we are ok. Not world beaters, but easy good enough.

I'm not his biggest fan; I get frustrated with our OL performance regularly. I bring my binocs to the games and watch the OL like a hawk. One of the main things I enjoy about our O is watching how plays are blocked. (I'm an old OL myself and a nerd on these matters.) Still, I can see why Coach keeps him around.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now, now. There are a variety of reasons that Sewak continues to be our OL coach (or one of them, at least).We fans tend to get mad when Coach gets on the OLs case, "It must be Seawak's fault! Even CPJ sees it!"

Problem = Coach is always on the OLs case. In fact, he's never been satisfied with our

Problem = Coach is always on the OLs case. In fact, he's never been satisfied with our blocking and, over the years, it is perhaps his most frequent complaint about the team. My guess is that this is because our blocking schemes are complex and we change them regularly for the same play as the D changes how it is playing us. It is no wonder that the OLs miss assignments when they change regularly during the game. This goes with the territory in our O; the only way it works is to change how the plays are blocked. This is one reason for recruiting OLs who have played in the O in high school. (And that, btw, is one reason for the offers they get from power teams; we want them but other teams are mainly looking for zone blockers.) This is also why development - particularly for converted DLs - takes longer then we might prefer.

So why keep Sewak? First, he's a former head coach and a successful one (35 - 14 overall) so he's easier for a head coach to relate to when it comes to overall goals. Second, he's a decent recruiter and has good contacts around the South. Third - and, I think, the most important - when he has good material, he creates good lines. This isn't always the case, of course, but when he has the troops and they keep healthy enough to develop unit consistency - unlike the last two years - we are ok. Not world beaters, but easy good enough.

I'm not his biggest fan; I get frustrated with our OL performance regularly. I bring my binocs to the games and watch the OL like a hawk. One of the main things I enjoy about our O is watching how plays are blocked. (I'm an old OL myself and a nerd on these matters.) Still, I can see why Coach keeps him around.
80% of people dont understand logic
80% of those that do understand logic will still not change there minds.
Above is how my college professor son lectures me .

I will leave this info here for rumination till end of year?

Did sewak get Shamire to a place anywhere close to his potential? Myvm offer to fly in NFL ol playercn who solved his weight problem to motivate sophomore junior shamire was sophomore was not answered. .

There 3 true freshmen start in 16 = Hint r shirt senior o tackles attrition at to northwestern and nascar. Without these r s o t in 17 and w Marshall out we played new o t ( Stick) and Will B everywhere. Stick is still on campus getting hus defe and mentoring Quinney.

As a ol nerd i am sure u remember Bryan chamberlin s terrible offsides issues at right tackle. Benched and moved to left tackle. Did sewak fix it or just move. Rewatch the famous last 3 games 2014 - on many many plays who is last line man to move.? Based on sr year BC got invited to Falcons and San Diego.
Bryan has a youth charity home in s ga. I can get you in touch

When we went to the massive ol in 14 , why did we still do cut blocks like we were still the goon squad? Now we are finally doing more downfield grabbing which is legal.

What year did we start holding like crazy while pass blocking- I say 17. Any holding call? Why not 2012?

Why did we not sub the oline in the usf game? How did Will Bryan play every down and then have to sit for injury for 2 now three games.?

What is the ol plan for giving starters some rest and the backups much needed p t.? (By way didn't u like how well hansen down blocked in the Clemson game! If he gets more strength in legs he could be a Shaq like people move in next 2 years.)

As u think about these points think most closely about your compliment about coach and sewak being of a mind meld . Then be really honest about how often have missed assignments against good teams and teams like Duke. I am very worried that the players are NOT really learning the WHY of the basics. Couldn't actually it be better if the coach had to say this out loud ( during practice) so ""ALL the players could hear it it about the basics.? If the Coach is calling the perfect assignment and the ol coach knows exactly what the coach is thinking , then the word is not getting to the players.

Also think about how to replace a CRITICAL COMMUNICATION guy that knows coaches thoughts so well. Most offenses have many sources . If sewak is hit by a bus, we have basically 3 choices- not hundreds - army navy air force.

And finally this:::
you and I and many on this swarm love our offense style

In addition I think this is a great group of oilmen.

IMO this group could lead us out of this mess and SEWAK is a part of that OPTIMISM

So till end of year
- its go jackets and go coach sewak.
Please do well as we love this offense.

I’ve soecifically stated twice very clearly what my beef is. I can’t say it any more clearly than that. So I’ll say it a third time - cut blocking is neither illegal, nor dangerous, nor dirty. Silas specifically said CPJ taught dirty football. That’s the post I replied to.

Anybody who thinks cut blocking is illegal or dangerous or dirty is ignorant. They’re also a ****ty Georgia Tech fan.

You say I have reading comprehension issues, but here is the full post I replied to:
“Excellent research.

It is also tough when they are coached by a guy teaching dirty techniques, and that guy has no worries about accountability or results.”

That speaks for itself. You’re way off in left field.

Silas was clearly referring to Coach Mike Sewak, not CPJ. Anyone who thinks cut blocking isn't dirty AF hasn't played football. Anyone who constantly defends this coach and his trend of losing seasons and missed bowls is an extremely ****ty Georgia Tech fan who loves the Scheme First, School Second. Those types of fans are a big reason we are trending downward right now.

PS: Cut blocking IS illegal if you block a defender already engaged with an offensive player. You talk a lot but don't appear to know much about the rules of college football. So "anyone who thinks cut blocking is illegal" is actually correct and those who'd disagree are ignoramuses.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Silas was clearly referring to Coach Mike Sewak, not CPJ. Anyone who thinks cut blocking isn't dirty AF hasn't played football. Anyone who constantly defends this coach and his trend of losing seasons and missed bowls is an extremely ****ty Georgia Tech fan who loves the Scheme First, School Second. Those types of fans are a big reason we are trending downward right now.

PS: Cut blocking IS illegal if you block a defender already engaged with an offensive player. You talk a lot but don't appear to know much about the rules of college football. So "anyone who thinks cut blocking is illegal" is actually correct and those who'd disagree are ignoramuses.
Still awaiting a reply on all the examples I've shown of other teams cut blocking. Are they all dirty programs too? Just waiting to see if you are consistent or just another CPJ hater.

Deleted member 2897

I am not defending CPJ or his record. I dont know why you keep bringing that up. I’m also not defending chop blocks (by the way, Clemson has chop block penalties this year...we don’t)

I’m not going to restate my beef for the fourth time because it obviously doesn’t help after the first 3.

Still awaiting a reply on all the examples I've shown of other teams cut blocking. Are they all dirty programs too? Just waiting to see if you are consistent or just another CPJ hater.

All that matters is reputation. Not sure why you're so mad at me - I didn't invent ours, it was earned on the field.

Shooting the messenger is the last defense of the Johnsonian though. Some personal insults are usually next up. Lemme guess - I'm a dawg fan who's trolling or some other crap? something-something-my mother? Go ahead - it's all part of the 'Defend the TO at all costs!' narrative, even as we swirl in the toilet at 1-3, which I guess is also my fault.

Deleted member 2897

Here are how many chop block penalties we have this year:

ZVomWg.gif