A look at offensive line recruiting

First you don't know what I like. after the Pitt game I was ready to see CPJ go back to last week and see, but with you and a few others I have changed my mind again. And I'm not the only one who is sick of hearing about firing CPJ all the time.

If you really want CPJ gone it's not going to get done on here , get your check book go down to the school write a check and tell them if they fire CPJ for you they can cash it.
And I have not named a player . And I can say the one good thing I don't remember you name a player and thanks for not doing it,

again with all the directing-at-me-personally. Stick to the topic, which is our OL. Or take it to PM if you've got a beef with me.

Why do CPJ defenders do this all the time? Why do they always go off-topic and try to discredit the poster rather than stick to the topic or avoid responding altogether? It really gets old.

I don't really care what the reputation is. Why do you care what people think about a legal football maneuver?

Since it negatively affects our recruiting, why DON'T you care? Why are you OK with being a fan of a team that has a reputation for dirty blocking? A reputation that is certainly used against us in recruiting?

That's a pretty easy answer. Generally speaking, sports fans are a lot dumber than they think they are and don't know as much as they think they do. They'd rather believe some narrative they heard from someone who heard it from someone else than form their own opinion.

Try thinking for yourself instead of regurgitating what your buds who went to UGA tell you.

LOL - the ol' "UGA fan" angle? We have a ****ty reputation as a team that plays dirty. It wouldn't be so bad if we were actually a winning program but now that we're swirling the toilet bowl of irrelevance, it's going to be one more item the next HC will have to deal with after CPJ is done killing the program.

You two geniuses most find the sport of American football to be barbaric. Y’all should take up badminton instead.

and you're OK with being a losing program with a reputation for playing dirty. The sad thing is we're getting owned even with these dirty ankle-diving techniques. Flopping around like a catfish is no way to play football. I wish CPJ would take up badminton.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Since it negatively affects our recruiting, why DON'T you care? Why are you OK with being a fan of a team that has a reputation for dirty blocking? A reputation that is certainly used against us in recruiting?
How do you know it affects us negatively? Can you back that up with sources? I was able to find videos of other teams cut blocking in minutes. Can you find proof that we are a dirty team and that it causes us to lose recruits?

Other than Cutcliffe, I have never heard anyone call it dirty. If you have a tweet or an interview with a recruit handy that indicates cutblocking is the reason they didn't choose Tech I would be very interested in reading it!

How do you know it affects us negatively? Can you back that up with sources? I was able to find videos of other teams cut blocking in minutes. Can you find proof that we are a dirty team and that it causes us to lose recruits?

Other than Cutcliffe, I have never heard anyone call it dirty. If you have a tweet or an interview with a recruit handy that indicates cutblocking is the reason they didn't choose Tech I would be very interested in reading it!

I've already posted several links to different places that all come to the same conclusion. Cutcliffe, Stoops, Beamer, and others have pointed this out long before now.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I've already posted several links to different places that all come to the same conclusion. Cutcliffe, Stoops, Beamer, and others have pointed this out long before now.
Got it. Your sources are coaches complaining and internet forums complaining. Guess we'll stop performing legal moves because people on tigernet are upset. Because of course, Clemson never cut blocks. Oh wait:

Left tackle

Running back:

Maybe we should accept that cut blocking is not dirty and is a part of football.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Regardless of what the coaches of our opponents say, I don’t think it’s dirty since it’s legal. I’m sure at one time the horse collar was legal and maybe even the face mask. Besides that, if anyone is getting hurt by this offense it seems to be our own guys.

I think you should watch some Conrad Dobler videos for some perspective. In addition, pay close attention to all the crap that goes on in the pile. Remember what the Clemson guy did to the Ohio State player while he was on the ground? Now, that’s dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why are we so overloaded with guards and under staffed w tackles.?

I
When we recruited Shamire, I was hoping that it was indicating we were going to begin trying to focus on getting more players that could play tackle (I realize he played guard, but he looked the part of a tackle).

OMG please spend time and re-watch our games. Our O-line rarely cut block. CPJ does not want them lying on the ground, he wants them to get to the next level and hit the linebackers and such. Now a pulling guard my cut a guy out on the end but that is rare. Our cut blocks come primarily from our A backs, cutting guys, now, less than five yards from the line of scrimmage. We might also cut a pass rusher with our B-back, just like everybody else does. This cut technique was used back in the days of the Wishbone. The half back not getting the pitch was out in front of the play and actually used what we used to call a roll block.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
So it's easy to see that our recruiting was much stronger than currently as 11 of 12 the OL on the 08 team had offers from other power 5 schools.

I would also argue that the first class Johnson brought in was unaware of the specifics of the offense. Most people assumed he would adapt his offense to the talent on the team.
To be fair, only 6 had offers as OL, and some of those were mid-2000’s Duke, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. So I don’t know that I would say it was “much stronger.” Additionally, OP did not list all of our OL.

As another poster pointed out, the 2014/15 OL had much better offers than the 2008 inherited OL. That may indicate it’s not the system, but instead our lack of providing money and facilities that help with recruiting the past few years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When we recruited Shamire, I was hoping that it was indicating we were going to begin trying to focus on getting more players that could play tackle (I realize he played guard, but he looked the part of a tackle).
Nice kid and a big part of gt football.
He never improved enough to make nfl

See byron bell on googl from Greenville tx to nfl.

Sham could have been on this road.

Byron was a giant fat guy like sham
400# Dont believe wiki - as a tackle free agent panthers.

When cut he returned to greenville to work out and Titans gave him a try.

There he learned to work.

In off season went to professional trading camp. 330 # rock hard.

I had hoped to bring him to ATL so he could talk to Shamire and inspire him.

Then byron went to cowboys and now packers.

Has had sons family come to at least one game. This is last year in Philadelphia. .

When we let a good player stay good instead of becoming great, it's a missed opportunity for a recruiting banner.

3225.jpeg

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
So why do we have the bad reputation across all of college football? Most of the "Extra Practice" by other teams is dedicated to teaching their Defenders how to avoid getting ACL'd by CPJ's dirty blocking.

We've earned this reputation and it's garbage football and one of several reasons we don't attract top OL talent.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...sing-dangerous-blocks/gWEF8W6CrmF0iEMRTfgI7O/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/k...ech-head-coach-paul-johnson-cut-block-injury/

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Georgia-Tech-dirty-blocks-1744142

https://syracusefan.com/threads/georgia-tech-cut-blocks.112743/

It's bull**** football and it's what CPJ is known for. Time to stop blaming Sewak.
Yeah I know, "The PITT coach is a whiner!!"

But PITT has owned CPJ the past 5 years and, if this guy is saying it, most everyone else is too. Perception is reality esp. on the Recruiting trail.
Fine, shoot the messenger. We're known as a dirty team and CPJ is known to be a dirty coach. Everyone on here knows you're a big fan of the guy so there's no need to keep advertising it. "Every team" may do it but we're the only ones with the bad-reputation for doing it all the time.

PS: The topic is OL Recruiting, which is adversely affected by CPJ's dirty blocking and our bad reputation. I'm just discussing the topic rather than trying to focus on individual posters, as you are doing.
Y’all, Bud Foster joined GTSwarm!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This premise is just plain false.

Uh huh.

“The next key position to recruit for this system is the offensive line. Here, Georgia Tech will be looking for athletic and quick linemen. The big difference in recruiting offensive linemen for this system compared to the previous one under Gailey is quickness off the ball. In Johnson's triple-option scheme the Yellow Jackets will sacrifice some size and girth for speed. This is a must because they ask so much of their linemen, from pulling to putting a hat on linebackers at the second level.
"We will ask them to do so much but quickness is certainly the thing we are looking for," Smith explained. "I mean everyone wants the big, athletic and quick linemen. But for this offense, the main thing is quickness."

https://n.rivals.com/news/new-offense-alters-recruiting-philosophy-at-tech

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Uh huh.

“The next key position to recruit for this system is the offensive line. Here, Georgia Tech will be looking for athletic and quick linemen. The big difference in recruiting offensive linemen for this system compared to the previous one under Gailey is quickness off the ball. In Johnson's triple-option scheme the Yellow Jackets will sacrifice some size and girth for speed. This is a must because they ask so much of their linemen, from pulling to putting a hat on linebackers at the second level.
"We will ask them to do so much but quickness is certainly the thing we are looking for," Smith explained. "I mean everyone wants the big, athletic and quick linemen. But for this offense, the main thing is quickness."

https://n.rivals.com/news/new-offense-alters-recruiting-philosophy-at-tech

You said he wants smallish linemen. Your exact quote. What the coaches say is that they want big, athletic and quick linemen and prefer quickness. Which means that when they have a lineman that is huge, but can't move, they won't go after that. Doesn't say anything about preferring small linemen.