A look at offensive line recruiting

Regardless of what the coaches of our opponents say, I don’t think it’s dirty since it’s legal. I’m sure at one time the horse collar was legal and maybe even the face mask. Besides that, if anyone is getting hurt by this offense it seems to be our own guys.

I think you should watch some Conrad Dobler videos for some perspective. In addition, pay close attention to all the crap that goes on in the pile. Remember what the Clemson guy did to the Ohio State player while he was on the ground? Now, that’s dirty.

Conrad Dobler? Nice pull! He was dirty AF back in the day - no need for me to look that guy up. (y)

We''ll just politely agree to disagree on the dirty-blocking topic. If other coaches are saying it though, it's definitely yet-another bullet-point used against us in recruiting.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Conrad Dobler? Nice pull! He was dirty AF back in the day - no need for me to look that guy up. (y)

We''ll just politely agree to disagree on the dirty-blocking topic. If other coaches are saying it though, it's definitely yet-another bullet-point used against us in recruiting.

Do you think Derek Mason is a dirty coach?

Nice evasive maneuver. The point was that Brian Kelley called Vandy a dirty team because of the defensive tactics taught by Derek Mason. Does one dumb opinion make it a fact?

Narduzzi is an asshat.

Evasive? LOL - I've not watched Vandy so how the hell can I comment on their HC? I don't follow Brian Kelley either.

Tell ya what - why don't you let all potential HS recruits know about all this, mkay?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
LOL - the ol' "UGA fan" angle? We have a ****ty reputation as a team that plays dirty. It wouldn't be so bad if we were actually a winning program but now that we're swirling the toilet bowl of irrelevance, it's going to be one more item the next HC will have to deal with after CPJ is done killing the program.

I didn't call you a UGA fan. Read it again. You're making my point about sports fans for me.

And who cares about the reputation from a bunch of internet randos? Cut blocking is legal and ubiquitous in the NFL, the NCAA, and I'd wager it's the same in high school as well. Except when Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson do it. In that case it's dirty. The only people who actually believe that are either too stupid or too lazy to do their own research and form an opinion or have an axe to grind so they choose to be willfully ignorant on the subject. Which camp do you fall into?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So why do we have the bad reputation across all of college football? Most of the "Extra Practice" by other teams is dedicated to teaching their Defenders how to avoid getting ACL'd by CPJ's dirty blocking.

We've earned this reputation and it's garbage football and one of several reasons we don't attract top OL talent.
There's no accounting for ignorance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’ve tried to supply plenty of evidence in this thread. Not sure what else is necessary.
because you're just wrong. We're not cheap. We don't do anything illegal or even on the fringe. We do ON MOST EVERY PLAY what most teams do on SELECTIVE PLAYS. That's why teams practice against cutting. It's the primary blocking technique for certain positions, not just a potential blocking technique. Teams spend off-seasons practicing against us because we're an option team not because of our blocking techniques. It's about maintaining discipline because that's the only way to counter the option, focusing on only your job.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
because you're just wrong. We're not cheap. We don't do anything illegal or even on the fringe. We do ON MOST EVERY PLAY what most teams do on SELECTIVE PLAYS. That's why teams practice against cutting. It's the primary blocking technique for certain positions, not just a potential blocking technique. Teams spend off-seasons practicing against us because we're an option team not because of our blocking techniques. It's about maintaining discipline because that's the only way to counter the option, focusing on only your job.
So we are dirty because we do something every team does, just more often?

I am in the camp that we sometimes cut when we shouldn’t. Example, I’ve seen us try to cut line backers standing still. We should just drive them. I also see some cut blocks that aren’t really great technique. Example, sometimes we really do appear to dive at ankles instead of driving through the hips. I just don’t think using cut blocks makes us dirty.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think the term " cut block" falls into the same category as " calculus " and "triple option ". Perception in today's world is reality. It is an attempt by the competition to make recruits think that going to Tech is different , outside the norm. For recruits that are laser beam focused on going to the NFL , they may think "why bother with all that " ? "I will go to ( fill in the factory ) and have more fun , classes are easy , pro scouts will be watching more ,..........". IMO, that eliminates a ton of elite athletes from even considering going to Tech. We get very few exceptions , most will even disappoint their momma by going somewhere else.

Deleted member 2897

So why do we have the bad reputation across all of college football? Most of the "Extra Practice" by other teams is dedicated to teaching their Defenders how to avoid getting ACL'd by CPJ's dirty blocking.

We've earned this reputation and it's garbage football and one of several reasons we don't attract top OL talent.

I stand corrected - there is another equally insulting, incorrect, ignorant post right here.

Deleted member 2897

and you're OK with being a losing program with a reputation for playing dirty. The sad thing is we're getting owned even with these dirty ankle-diving techniques. Flopping around like a catfish is no way to play football. I wish CPJ would take up badminton.

Whose team are you a fan of? When someone accuses us of playing dirty, do you just agree with them, or do you ask for specific examples and dispute it? We don't have a single chop block call against us this year. We have 1 single illegal downfield block which was a missed call. Clemson has gotten called for chop blocks. Whose side are you on? Fight and defend your own team when the criticism is uncalled for.

Whose team are you a fan of? When someone accuses us of playing dirty, do you just agree with them, or do you ask for specific examples and dispute it? We don't have a single chop block call against us this year. We have 1 single illegal downfield block which was a missed call. Clemson has gotten called for chop blocks. Whose side are you on? Fight and defend your own team when the criticism is uncalled for.

I'm an alum and a fan of the 1-3 Jackets. It was a pretty easy google to find chop-block-criticism from several unrelated sources. Sorry, am not going to join the Syracuse or KY message board to defend CPJ. Nor am I going to argue with any fans of other teams I meet IRL who think that, since I see their point.

Look, I get it - you're a "GT, right or wrong!" guy and that's nice and fine. But there are plenty of fans who aren't and you should stop insulting those people who you disagree with, as it does absolutely nothing for your own, extremely-biased opinion.

For example, to call @TheSilasSonRising an idiot who said that Sewak coaches "without worrying about results or accountability" really makes you look stupid, since our blocking has always sucked yet Sewak manages to survive year after year, without any other school trying to lure him away. That poster is right - Sewak is a bad coach and our blocking efforts are a reflection of that. Thinking otherwise is extremely ignorant and anyone who does think otherwise simply has the GT Blinders on too tightly.

Every single fan complains about our Defense and our Blocking every year. Yet only the DC gets fired while the Blocking Coach stays on board. It's an accurate viewpoint to say that Sewak coaches without worrying about results and the data backs that up.

You owe @TheSilasSonRising an apology.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

It was a pretty easy google to find chop-block-criticism from several unrelated sources. Sorry, am not going to join the Syracuse or KY message board to defend CPJ.

You owe @TheSilasSonRising an apology.

Why are you taking the sides of ignorant fans of Syracuse or Kentucky over us? Why do you care what other ignorant people think? GOOD LORD MAN.

Why do I owe an apology to TheSilasSonRising, or you for that matter?