A look at offensive line recruiting

I am not defending CPJ or his record. I dont know why you keep bringing that up. I’m also not defending chop blocks (by the way, Clemson has chop block penalties this year...we don’t)

I’m not going to restate my beef for the fourth time because it obviously doesn’t help after the first 3.

OK. You did clearly state that "Anyone who thinks cut blocking is illegal is ignorant" just 2 replies above this, even though Cut Blocking IS illegal in college so not sure exactly what your point is anymore.

Deleted member 2897

All that matters is reputation.

No it doesn’t if its not true. If some ignorant people are wrong, why do you take it out on us? If we should be explaining to people more about why they’re wrong, then you can help with that. But you won’t, because you think they’re correct, and that’s ignorant.

Deleted member 2897

OK. You did clearly state that "Anyone who thinks cut blocking is illegal is ignorant" just 2 replies above this, even though Cut Blocking IS illegal in college so not sure exactly what your point is anymore.

See, cut blocking is LEGAL. Thats your entire problem right there.

No it doesn’t if its not true. If some ignorant people are wrong, why do you take it out on us? If we should be explaining to people more about why they’re wrong, then you can help with that. But you won’t, because you think they’re correct, and that’s ignorant.

Yes it absolutely does. Perception is reality.

How the hell am I taking anything out on you? We're discussing our OL!!! Hyperbole, cleanup in aisle 5!!!

Deleted member 2897

don't tell me - tell potential recruits! Go join the KY and SYR message boards and post it there. Go Defend mighty CPJ!!! Go do what you told me to do else you're a hypocrite.

Their ignorance is not an urgent emergency for me.

The larger problem is that you are parroting their ignorance on here.

See, cut blocking is LEGAL. Thats your entire problem right there.

It's not. At least most of the time. That's your entire problem right there.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/30/17472936/block-below-waist-rule-ncaa

Exceptions:

-Team A players may not block below the waist when the block occurs five yards or more beyond the neutral zone.

-Players outside the tackle box at the snap ,or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

-Once the ball has left the tackle box, a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line.

Look, we both want the same thing - GT Victories. We just disagree on how we're going to get them. You like this offense and scheme, I do not. End of the day, let's just agree to disagree and stop polluting this thread. Deal?

Deleted member 2897

Their ignorance is not an urgent emergency for me.

The larger problem is that you are parroting their ignorance on here.

No, they are the larger problem, as my opinion here as zero effect on recruiting. I figured you would "Do as you say, not as you do". As predictable as a CPJ B-back dive on 3rd and 5.

Deleted member 2897

What - you don't want GT victories? As far as CPJ goes, I've never seen you call the guy into criticism.

And you just put words into my mouth again.

As far as calling CPJ out, I’ve done that a lot. But it’s also irrelevant whether I have or not to this thread on the offensive line. Why you keep putting words in my mouth and bringing up other random untrue things is beyond me.

And you just put words into my mouth again.

As far as calling CPJ out, I’ve done that a lot. But it’s also irrelevant whether I have or not to this thread on the offensive line. Why you keep putting words in my mouth and bringing up other random untrue things is beyond me.

I've put no words into your mouth here. More hyperbole by you. I proved your "cut blocks are legal!!" belief wrong and you're mad about it. If pointing out your errors is "putting words into your mouth", then yep, I'm guilty.

here, you can have the last word, so I guess technically I'm putting more words into your mouth again.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Some personal insults are usually next up. Lemme guess - I'm a dawg fan who's trolling or some other crap? something-something-my mother? Go ahead - it's all part of the 'Defend the TO at all costs!' narrative, even as we swirl in the toilet at 1-3, which I guess is also my fault.
I haven't attacked you personally, nor would I care to. You seem to be a passionate GT fan. I just believe you are misguided in this case. Every team in the nation utilizes the cut block. We use it more than others, yes, but that doesn't make us dirty. Are Navy, Army, and Air Force dirty programs?

I think there is room for argument on whether we use cut blocks too much, or if we can coach how to cut block better. I just don't think it's fair to call a team dirty because they leverage a legal technique. If the NCAA makes them illegal next year, I won't bat an eye. Until they've been outlawed, we should teach our players to make use of any legal move that can give us an advantage.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
80% of people dont understand logic
80% of those that do understand logic will still not change there minds.
Above is how my college professor son lectures me .

I will leave this info here for rumination till end of year?

Did sewak get Shamire to a place anywhere close to his potential? Myvm offer to fly in NFL ol playercn who solved his weight problem to motivate sophomore junior shamire was sophomore was not answered. .

There 3 true freshmen start in 16 = Hint r shirt senior o tackles attrition at to northwestern and nascar. Without these r s o t in 17 and w Marshall out we played new o t ( Stick) and Will B everywhere. Stick is still on campus getting hus defe and mentoring Quinney.

As a ol nerd i am sure u remember Bryan chamberlin s terrible offsides issues at right tackle. Benched and moved to left tackle. Did sewak fix it or just move. Rewatch the famous last 3 games 2014 - on many many plays who is last line man to move.? Based on sr year BC got invited to Falcons and San Diego.
Bryan has a youth charity home in s ga. I can get you in touch

When we went to the massive ol in 14 , why did we still do cut blocks like we were still the goon squad? Now we are finally doing more downfield grabbing which is legal.

What year did we start holding like crazy while pass blocking- I say 17. Any holding call? Why not 2012?

Why did we not sub the oline in the usf game? How did Will Bryan play every down and then have to sit for injury for 2 now three games.?

What is the ol plan for giving starters some rest and the backups much needed p t.? (By way didn't u like how well hansen down blocked in the Clemson game! If he gets more strength in legs he could be a Shaq like people move in next 2 years.)

As u think about these points think most closely about your compliment about coach and sewak being of a mind meld . Then be really honest about how often have missed assignments against good teams and teams like Duke. I am very worried that the players are NOT really learning the WHY of the basics. Couldn't actually it be better if the coach had to say this out loud ( during practice) so ""ALL the players could hear it it about the basics.? If the Coach is calling the perfect assignment and the ol coach knows exactly what the coach is thinking , then the word is not getting to the players.

Also think about how to replace a CRITICAL COMMUNICATION guy that knows coaches thoughts so well. Most offenses have many sources . If sewak is hit by a bus, we have basically 3 choices- not hundreds - army navy air force.

And finally this:::
you and I and many on this swarm love our offense style

In addition I think this is a great group of oilmen.

IMO this group could lead us out of this mess and SEWAK is a part of that OPTIMISM

So till end of year
- its go jackets and go coach sewak.
Please do well as we love this offense.
Well, that's a lot to respond to and it's getting toward dinner time. So just one response for now:

Yes, I watched Hansen when he came in and was very encouraged. He eats up a lot of space and, for a guy that size, he's pretty quick. It is obvious that another year with the weights won't do him any harm, but a center formation of Braun - Cooper - Hansen or Defoor would be quite the thing next year. Or this year, if necessary.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's a lot to respond to and it's getting toward dinner time. So just one response for now:

Yes, I watched Hansen when he came in and was very encouraged. He eats up a lot of space and, for a guy that size, he's pretty quick. It is obvious that another year with the weights won't do him any harm, but a center formation of Braun - Cooper - Hansen or Defoor would be quite the thing next year. Or this year, if necessary.
Please just let the facts and names I sent rest for a few months. I am not going to quote them on this site.

If u want to sight times u PERSONALLY have worked w recruiters, players, etc in support of "sewak is vital I would like to see them. No ideas - just facts u know..

I think we can both agree that coach will quit before he let's sewak go.

Recently Met Defoors dad. He owes me a few beers. By way do u know he played for uga. He is very very happy his son will be getting a degree from ga tech. He is confident his son can play a role in our offense - no matter the style.

I haven't attacked you personally, nor would I care to. You seem to be a passionate GT fan. I just believe you are misguided in this case. Every team in the nation utilizes the cut block. We use it more than others, yes, but that doesn't make us dirty. Are Navy, Army, and Air Force dirty programs?

I think there is room for argument on whether we use cut blocks too much, or if we can coach how to cut block better. I just don't think it's fair to call a team dirty because they leverage a legal technique. If the NCAA makes them illegal next year, I won't bat an eye. Until they've been outlawed, we should teach our players to make use of any legal move that can give us an advantage.

Cut blocks aren't legal in several situations already in the NCAA and there's obviously a trend to outlaw them altogether, given the intro of the new rules this year about downfield cutting. And they are widely considered to be a dirty tactic regardless of who is doing it. I'm puzzled as to why that is even debated here, as is our reputation. A reputation I've done nothing to cause lol.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Cut blocks are legal and always have been. Every team at every level uses them. This is the first year where they have been illegal after 5 yards and I think that we have only had 1 or 2 penalties on that call so far. If it is dirty to block below the waist, then why is it called a good play when a tackler tackles below the waist? All those guys must be dirty players too.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So we are dirty because we do something every team does, just more often?

I am in the camp that we sometimes cut when we shouldn’t. Example, I’ve seen us try to cut line backers standing still. We should just drive them. I also see some cut blocks that aren’t really great technique. Example, sometimes we really do appear to dive at ankles instead of driving through the hips. I just don’t think using cut blocks makes us dirty.
At this point I'm not sure we're arguing opposite positions. I agree, we're not dirty. I took from your previous post that you were saying we were dirty. My bad if I messed that up. Been away a while.